Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time starting my 848 evo. it stalls when cold, on stoplights...I have a video attached. Help me out guys!

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Yeah check the voltage. If it's low, ditch the old battery and get a Shorai.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You have a Ducshop Microtec ECU in that,
so give Mark a call. Are you far from him?
That cranking does sound a little slow, could be battery as has been said by another post.
Pre injection time and the cold start map could be another thing,
I know I had to do a lot to both to get my 1098 to start and warm up the way I wanted it to.
How was the starting before the Microtec was put in?
Has the problem only occurred since it went in or was it okay before that?
Really need as much info as we can get to be able to help you.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nah,sounds suspiciously like your sprag clutch is on its way...I can hear it at 1:20 spinning and the loud "tac-tac" noises earlier (trying to grab)

Been there very recently,its why I spotted it,same noises.

Edit: you might have more than 1 problem :(

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Just got time to watch the video and yeah, this isn't just a bad battery or the CEL would go away after it started. The good news is you're pushing over 13 volts, which is normal. The bad news is something else is seriously wrong.:(

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The voltage gauge said 12.2v unless I misread it, that to me says bad battery. When starting it dropped to 10v, which also says to me bad battery. I believe you've got ONE cell dead in the battery and the current is low, but the voltage is still ok. When running, the charging circuit brings up the voltage to 14, which is normal, so the charging circuit is probably fine.

First thing I'd do is put a battery reconditioner on it and see if you can get 13.5v in the battery. If you can't, then ya gotta buy a new battery. If you can, then see if it turns over better. If it doesn't turn over any better with 13.5v, then you need to pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over without compression OK.

My guess is, its just the battery.

Did you do any modifications to the electronics outside of the ECU? HID lights? Anything else?

In this case, the starter motor does sound subdued speed wise. The mechanical noises are very normal when the starter isn't running at the right speed due to low voltage, its some combustion happening and pushing against the gears and clutch assembly in the opposite direction. Its a strange sound... though it was worrying that during the starting I did hear a moment where the starter was turning on its own without engaging anything... IDK how that could have happened.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:confused:
Nah,sounds suspiciously like your sprag clutch is on its way...I can hear it at 1:20 spinning and the loud "tac-tac" noises earlier (trying to grab)

Been there very recently,its why I spotted it,same noises.

Edit: you might have more than 1 problem :(
like what though problem is that it only does it while cold....also this only started recently. never had issues before even after I installed the microtech,,,,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a Ducshop Microtec ECU in that,
so give Mark a call. Are you far from him?
That cranking does sound a little slow, could be battery as has been said by another post.
Pre injection time and the cold start map could be another thing,
I know I had to do a lot to both to get my 1098 to start and warm up the way I wanted it to.
How was the starting before the Microtec was put in?
Has the problem only occurred since it went in or was it okay before that?
Really need as much info as we can get to be able to help you.
it was fine even when I installed the microtech..this just started happening recently...should I take it to ducati to get it checked out.. I hear they charge a lot just to even look at it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
:confused:

like what though problem is that it only does it while cold....also this only started recently. never had issues before even after I installed the microtech,,,,
Mine started to go tits up on a cold morning too

Would eventually start,like yours until one morning where it would only spin freely.

Had to change the sprag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine started to go tits up on a cold morning too

Would eventually start,like yours until one morning where it would only spin freely.

Had to change the sprag.

how much cash am I looking in spending bro...did you do it yourself? or did you go to a mechanic

·
Registered
596 Posts
I did it myself but if you arenot handy with tools or have a small flash memory in your head to know/remember what goes where...(I`m an old mechanic)

All in all,pretty straightforward job

Need a tube of Ducati threebond 1215 to seal back case
need to drop coolant and oil (so fresh coolant,oil and oil filter while at it)
need to remove clutch and use a clutch basket holding tool
need to remove clutch master cylinder on the case/shift rod
need to remove case cover (can be tricky)
need to remove flywheel assembly
sprag is in the flywheel assembly (big nut,big torque)

Your bike being of a newer gen than mine,you can only buy the sprag itself

You obviously need a nice tool chest to do it all w/o breaking anything :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts