Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not shore don't know the difference between these two bikes one is a 916 monster I want to use as a doner bike to get the 1000 monster going as the 916 is a write off bike in nsw I can use everything but the frame off the 916

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm currently wedging a 1098 engine into an air cooled 1100 Hypermotard frame and it's NOT a straight forward job. It seemed like a good idea at the time and a fun way to use the spare engine I had sitting around. :violin:

I'm nearly there but have had to devise a few technical solutions requiring a good deal of lateral thinking and some custom fabrication. However I DO love a unique project and the satisfaction of solving all its challenges. Much better than watching TV though..... it's one of the reasons why I have not been very active here recently. :yo:

I imagine a similar swap in a Monster would be an equally challenging task. Not for the feint hearted or ill equipped.

My mates have dubbed the project the 'Insane-O-Tard' or I-Tard for short. Damn it's going to be some FUN though!!! :D

If enough people are interested I might start a thread on the project but so far it's been purely for my own gratification. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Awesome project!!! Everyone around here that I race with is going the 1100 Hyper engine in a 848/1098 rolling chassis!!! To run in the unlimited displacement air cooled class!! The hotrod big displacement air cooled twins are a new BOTT class in AHRMA, and the water cooled twins are in another series of classes depending on displacement. This rule change was to accommodate the new Triumph and MV triples. Gonna be good racin.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
That's how I ended up with the Evo SP frame and front forks Bob. The bike was purchased in the USA for the engine as a donor for that class and the rest parted out. I'm sure mine won't fit in any proper class for racing but I hope to have a hell of a lot of fun on it at track days. The Evo air cooled Hyper is a great engine, tough as an old boot! I have 110hp at the wheel on my other hyper with all stock OEM internals. With an identical engine I developed this year for Daz, he clocked 253 km/h on his hyper at PI. I expect with an all out engine budget in an 848 frame with aerodynamics, that number could easily be much higher. ENJOY!

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Yes Sir! One of the main issues with the 848/1098 frame fitment with the 1100 Hyper EVO motor is the clearance of the exhaust by the TTX rear shock!!!.... Ohlins USA is assisting in a shock body..... a very cool project..as is yours!! BTW, Frank Shockley got 111 rwhp out of aircooled twin on the DucShop Dyno (a conservative dyno).... His is in a Paul Smart frame at this time, but he is hot on a aircooled twin in an 848 frame....

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm having to solve a similar issue but a mirror opposite with the rear cylinder exhaust. I cannot come out to the normal 1098 direction, needing to go left of the shock and down through the hyper swingarm gap, then back under the swingarm. Easy enough to just fabricate what I need for a one-off deal though.

111 is a great result for Frank Shockley. Do you know if he bumped compression up or changed cams, more revs? Our budget didn't allow any aftermarket bits so I just maximised what I could get from what the engine already had. Would have loved to have built one with compression, cams and rods and a higher rev limit to see what its full potential could have been.
It was super reliable all season though at 110hp. Daz thrashed it mercilessly all year without any issues at all.

Do you guys get to use a race fuel ? We had to use regular pump fuel in our class.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
If memory serves, Frank was getting 103/104, on VP (oxidenated fuel) using a Microtec ECU (I think)... The last mod was a set of heads from Canada, which, in addition to the cams, valves, etc. The intake (exhaust?) tracks were D shaped to increase the flow (velocity) kind of an old trick design folks have been playing around with for years. I am gonna guess NCR cams. Prolly going for as much compression as possible without ruining reliability. Not sure on the bore and stroke, but I am, again, guessing,.... as much as possible!!! Chris Boy @ MotoCorse in Florida is building similar air coolers.... the sound is incredible.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
We used a PC5 to sort fueling but everything else was OEM. I did port the heads but had to stick with stock cams, pistons, valves, bore, stroke etc because Daz didn't have the budget to spend. The short side radius in the exhaust port is definitely too tight and has a dead spot because of that. Welding the floor and D porting would have certainly improved them more but I didn't because of the cost of a full head overhaul after welding. I worked a way around it as best I could by redesigning the headers with a port tongue instead. All stuff I could make at home without spending $$ we didn't have. It sure sounded strong and at similar power I can imagine how his sounded.
Bedtime for me here mate, Later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.