Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone…I have a 2005 749 with 15K+ miles on it. I pulled it out of the garage for my first ride this year. It started right up, warmed it up and began riding. 15 mins into the ride doing about 60 + miles/hr on the highway, the engine cutoff. I pulled over into the shoulder and attempted to restart the engine with no luck. I paused (20 mins) and tried to restart the engine again, no luck. I ensured the gear was in neutral, kickstand up, the engine will crank over but will not start. While thinking of the inner workings of an engine, only one of two items not in the picture could cause a power loss issue. A faulty fuel pump or coil/plugs (no spark). Has anyone experienced such issue? Also, what would be the best and simplest way to troubleshoot each device? Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I"d look into the gas first. did you use a stabilizer? If you can siphon it off and fill the tank with fresh gas and some sort of fuel system cleaner, it'd be the cheapest and easiest place to start.

·
Registered
789 Posts
simple stuff first.Open the gas cap and turn the ignition on.Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds?
If the answer is yes,is there fuel spraying everywhere inside the tank (fuel hose adrift)
If the pumps not running check the pump relay and fuses.
Save the complex stuff for last.
If it was poor/old fuel it wouldnt have started in the first place.
Prime symptom of stale fuel is very difficult/no start.
Ciao

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I"d look into the gas first. did you use a stabilizer? If you can siphon it off and fill the tank with fresh gas and some sort of fuel system cleaner, it'd be the cheapest and easiest place to start.
I did not use any stabilizer in the fuel tank and if the fuel was bad, wouldn't the engine sputter instead of just going dead? I filled up the tank in thinking that there would be very little room for water to perspire in the tank. Does gas go bad quickly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
simple stuff first.Open the gas cap and turn the ignition on.Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds?
If the answer is yes,is there fuel spraying everywhere inside the tank (fuel hose adrift)
If the pumps not running check the pump relay and fuses.
Save the complex stuff for last.
If it was poor/old fuel it wouldnt have started in the first place.
Prime symptom of stale fuel is very difficult/no start.
Ciao
By letting it run for a few seconds, I guess I'm looking for pressure buildup indicating a working pump, if not will check relays and fuses as suggested. I'll have my goggles ready.

·
Registered
789 Posts
By letting it run for a few seconds, I guess I'm looking for pressure buildup indicating a working pump, if not will check relays and fuses as suggested. I'll have my goggles ready.
No not really,its just the ECU will only run the pump for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on to prime the fuel system.Once you hit the start button the pump runs continuously.
Ciao

1 - 6 of 6 Posts