Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1098 and while tearing it all apart to see what the previous owner left me to fix I saw it has a ducati power shifter hooked up. I've tried to find a dedicated yes or no and a how to guide but no dice. I want to change to gp style shifting since I've grown accustom to it. But I can only find the factory manuals with straight forward directions nothing about gp shift. Is it even possible with this shift rod? Help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Can you post a picture of the actual shift rod? Is it just a standard one or does it have some sort of sensor attached to it?

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
I do not know this for sure, with your situation/assembly, but on other bikes all I did was rotate the splined shift arm 180/degrees to reverse the shift pattern. The electronic shift device may just momentarily cut spark to the motor as you change gears, usually in the direction of the up shift...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you post a picture of the actual shift rod? Is it just a standard one or does it have some sort of sensor attached to it?
Here's a picture of the shift rod, under the sleeve there's a sensor.
I do not know this for sure, with your situation/assembly, but on other bikes all I did was rotate the splined shift arm 180/degrees to reverse the shift pattern. The electronic shift device may just momentarily cut spark to the motor as you change gears, usually in the direction of the up shift...
I NEVER THOUGHT OF TURNING THE ROD 180 degrees AROUND! lol. I was just flipping the linkage and not the rod that makes sense. Ill be pushing my toes down but the sensor will think I'm pulling my toes up.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
The linkage is what Bob was talking about, not the rod. Flipping the rod won't do you any difference.

Anyway, what you need to do is figure out whether that sensor is a "push" or "pull" (compression or tension activated) or if it works in either direction. A lot of the newer ones work in both directions so you don't have to worry about it, in which case you just flip the linkage 180 degrees and now you got GP shift. Some of the older ones (like the Bazzaz that I have) only work in either a push or pull direction. Judging by the picture, yours obviously works in the "push" direction because the sensor is being compressed when you up-shift. If it doesn't work in the other direction, then you won't be able to switch to GP shift and still retain the quick shifter. You would have to get a different sensor for it (that works with that unit), or find rear sets that are designed differently so that when you up-shift the rod is pulling on the sensor, or option 3 which is what I did....design and make a custom shift lever that does that and fits with your current rear sets :D

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks rubb! And I realize what he was talking about but try and picture what I'm picturing in my head I really think it will work.

On with my current setup...
My linkage is facing down and my rod the sensor is facing the linkage. When I shift upwards into second gear the rod pushes towards the linkage so it basically compresses the sensor. So in essence the rod needs to be compressed to upshift.

If I only rotate the linkage and keep the rod how it is with the sensor facing the linkage, the linkage now will be pointing to my slave cylinder and I will be in gp style shift pattern. If I'm in neutral and "upshift" the rod will since is being extended and not compressed so the quick shift computer will be thinking I'm down shifting when I'm actually up shifting.

Now picture this....I keep my linkage pointed towards my slave but I take the rod and flip it 180 degrees so now the side that was attached to the linkage is now attached to my rear sets and the end that was attached to my rear sets is now on the linkage. Now if the sensor is a "push" style this maneuver should make the shift sensor think it's attached like it normally was from the beginning. If I up shift in gp style I'm pushing my toes downwards it compresses the sensor and the rod. As long as the sensor senses the rod is being compressed it will think I'm up shifting to the next gear.

If I'm thinking too much into this and that makes no sense than tell me please lol cause it makes sense in my head. As long as the rod and sensor think it is being compressed the computer thinks I'm up shifting to the next gear

I now have a head ache lol

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Lol...you need to keep thinking about it. Flipping the rod won't make any difference. The sensor is basically a load cell. In senses compression from the rod. Doesn't matter if it sits closer to the linkage or the shift lever. Trust me, I've gone through all of this several months ago. The only way it works is if you have a sensor that works in either compression or tension.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Thanks rubb! And I realize what he was talking about but try and picture what I'm picturing in my head I really think it will work.

On with my current setup...
My linkage is facing down and my rod the sensor is facing the linkage. When I shift upwards into second gear the rod pushes towards the linkage so it basically compresses the sensor. So in essence the rod needs to be compressed to upshift.

If I only rotate the linkage and keep the rod how it is with the sensor facing the linkage, the linkage now will be pointing to my slave cylinder and I will be in gp style shift pattern. If I'm in neutral and "upshift" the rod will since is being extended and not compressed so the quick shift computer will be thinking I'm down shifting when I'm actually up shifting.

Now picture this....I keep my linkage pointed towards my slave but I take the rod and flip it 180 degrees so now the side that was attached to the linkage is now attached to my rear sets and the end that was attached to my rear sets is now on the linkage. Now if the sensor is a "push" style this maneuver should make the shift sensor think it's attached like it normally was from the beginning. If I up shift in gp style I'm pushing my toes downwards it compresses the sensor and the rod. (no it doesn't...it pulls on it (tension). As long as the sensor senses the rod is being compressed it will think I'm up shifting to the next gear.

If I'm thinking too much into this and that makes no sense than tell me please lol cause it makes sense in my head. As long as the rod and sensor think it is being compressed the computer thinks I'm up shifting to the next gear

I now have a head ache lol
See above.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Pootytang has the right idea! As long as it fits on your current rear sets, that'd be a way to do it.

182 also makes a good point. In the end it's all about money. For me, the reason I designed and machined a custom one was because my QS was $50. Buying a $400 set of rear sets would've defeated the purpose of getting a cheap QS, I could've bought a different sensor for about $200. But having a friend who had the ability to machine it for only a bottle of whiskey and myself having the ability and software to design it, sealed the deal. So I paid 50 bucks for the QS and about 25 bucks to make it work with my rear sets while still keeping GP shift pattern ;)

Reactions: pootytang and 219R
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.