Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ducati gets green light to start production on the 1098R which will have an 1198 or 1199cc engine and best of all I'm sure will not have any stalling issue.

The 1098R should be available before the 2008 WSB season begins which is early next year. Obviously, Ducati is planning on racing their 1098R for 2008 with the new 1200cc rule change for V-Twin engines.

I look forward to the arrival of the 1098R which will probably not have any styling changes, only change being the larger displacement engine up to 1199cc. Most importantly, this announcement gives product engineers a chance to eliminate these stalling issues found on the 2007 1098 and will no longer be an issue on the 1098R.

T

·
0 Posts
Do you have documentation? I'll beleive it when I see it from DNA. I saw on here where "Ducati has issued a recall on cam belt tensioners & stalling issues" but when I called DNA they denied both.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
kaution321 said:
Ducati gets green light to start production on the 1098R which will have an 1198 or 1199cc engine and best of all I'm sure will not have any stalling issue.
Well...don't I remember people indicating that some of the older R models used to stall as well...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would not rule out any type of issues untill the bike is on the road and has some miles on it. One would hope that it would a perfect bike off the bat, but chances are that it wont be.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Can't wait to see the sticker price on that one! BLAHAHAHAHA

Jason

·
Registered
354 Posts
Kaution's biggest problem in life right now is his desire for Ducati to release a formal recall for the stalling issue. If he'd merely have his bike set up checked at his dealer (and they are capable), then he'd have no stalling and he could go on with worrying about real issues like the inconsistency of the shades of yellow of the mustard he buys.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Desmo Duc said:
I would not rule out any type of issues untill the bike is on the road and has some miles on it. One would hope that it would a perfect bike off the bat, but chances are that it wont be.
I agree. One can only hope.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the starting price for the 1098R would be a little over $15k but less than $20k. Can't wait when its available for sale.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
kaution321 said:
I think the starting price for the 1098R would be a little over $15k but less than $20k. Can't wait when its available for sale.
I highly doubt this...

Jason

·
Registered
208 Posts
kaution321 said:
Are you kidding? Here in Australia the R models are pretty much double the price of the base models( talking 999 here ) so I figure that it would be very similar in the US. What are you guys getting your bases for - about $14,000? In which case I think they will more likely be around $28,000US. They will certainly cost a lot more than the TriColores.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hello,1st post...

The dealer where I`ll be buying my 1098 (base or S,not sure) told me that a price spike for 2008 is pretty much possible (+/- at least $3k)..something about reintroduction price for this year....so add another price spike to that presently fictional R model and...tricolore country.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the 1098R only gets the bigger displacement engine then there shouldn't be too much spike in price. But, when you start adding ohlins and termi then yea sure price would be higher. It's still too soon to know exactly what specs the 1098R would have in addition to the 1199cc engine.

Just depends if Ducati decides to just have a 1098R with the bigger displacement engine or have a 1098R with bigger engine, full termi and ohlins kit. Depending on the set up sure prices would vary immensely.

Only thing for sure is by next weekend, it would be official that Ducati would be making a 1098R with the extra 100cc engine and ready to race in the 2008 WSB season.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
kaution321 said:
How do you figure that when the standard 07's are going for $15K and the S version at $20K??? Do you somehow think Ducati will price their up coming R version (historically their "top of the line" model) of the 1098 for somewhere between their standard model and their S model? I think it’s safe to say the R version will at the least cost more than the S model, unless Ducati decides to lower the prices for the 2008 model year, which as far as I’ve heard won’t be happening….

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
kaution321 said:
If the 1098R only gets the bigger displacement engine then there shouldn't be too much spike in price. But, when you start adding ohlins and termi then yea sure price would be higher. It's still too soon to know exactly what specs the 1098R would have in addition to the 1199cc engine.

Just depends if Ducati decides to just have a 1098R with the bigger displacement engine or have a 1098R with bigger engine, full termi and ohlins kit. Depending on the set up sure prices would vary immensely.

Only thing for sure is by next weekend, it would be official that Ducati would be making a 1098R with the extra 100cc engine and ready to race in the 2008 WSB season.

There really isnt a need for an official press release, its really no new news. Did you for a second think Ducati wouldn't come out with an R version of the 1098? It was just a matter of time.

As for the price increase, if my memory serves me correct, the 999R went for around $30K, the 999S was around $23, and the base 999 was around $18K. So taking historical numbers into consideration, I think it's safe to say, the 1098R will be priced right around $30K.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think we can safely assume that the R will be no less equipped than the current S and will most likely be north of the TC in both equipment and price. . . otherwise why would anyone buy a base or S? My guess is $30k minimum for the R.

·
Registered
208 Posts
kaution321 said:

Traditionally the R always gets the next upcoming models engine which means that in a year or two the base superbike model will come out with the 1198 engine. This bike may be the affordable prices you mention but there's no way that the R will be cheap. If you consider the differences between a 999S and 999R The R will most like be an S model with the larger capacity engine and a few carbon fibre parts. I've also heard news that the single sided swingarm will be replaced with a two sided unit.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts