Ducati.org forum banner

Ducati Sucks Ass

68K views 161 replies 96 participants last post by  DarR 
#1 ·
Thats right, I've said it, it's true, Ducati sucks.

It's the worst value for money bike I've ever purchased.

Sure it looks like a piece of art and I'd be proud to have it in the foyer of my office.

But for the money, shit!!!!!!!!!!

Why does everyone defend them, they break down a lot, their electrics suck, the build quality is average and after all the work I've done on mine the torque values on all the nuts and bolts are not only different to many of the manual specs but from the left to right side of the bike as well. Were the guys pissed when they assembled these things????

Given the same rider most Jap bikes of the same class would piss on the Duc. And I'm not talking about Super Bike race teams, I mean bikes you buy from the dealer.

All the go fast bits seem to be more expensive for the Duc just because of the name. It's almost like going to the boat shop or hangar and paying twice as much for the same thing because it says "marine" or "aviation".

So I've learned my lesson and will only by Jap in the future. I feel no need to defend a substandard bike just because I dropped a shit load of money on it and have to justify myself.

OK, now flame me all you want, I wont see it, this is the last time I will be visiting this site.

I've asked Alvin to remove my user but I still seem to be able to log on so feel free to complain and speed up the process.

This site used to be interesting but now its mainly full of retard questions that could be answered by reading the user/service manual or a quick trip to the dealer.
And if it's not that it's just people slagging the shit out of each other.

All the best and I hope you all end up with the bike you dreamed about. (I mean that, no joke)

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
As your words say, "Not everyone is meant to be a Ducati owner", it takes a passionate love that many folks in the fast lane never develop.

I recommend a few beers and do something else for a while. The Ducati seed is planted in you as you seemingly have one.....you may be drawn to it forever now....even if it ticks you off. Its a bad fix to be in.

I appreciate your last statement as that very thing has happened to me. I still will feel I hit the lotto of bikes even if all I do is just look at it and never ride it (some of my other Ducatis have that place of honor). ....Its that Ducati werid crap showing through again.....it has many forms of weidness! lol

#7 · (Edited)
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
I won't defend Ducati, just say. I've owned an 03 999 12000 trouble free miles on it when the 1098 came out, I couldn't resist. Picked up my Yeller in may 07. I now have 13000 miles on this baby. I've been to the dealer a handfull of times. Once for the sprocket recall and a few other times for dyno runs.
Sure Jap bikes are great, I'm a Honda guy myself, If I were to imbibe. But I guess in the end it's the difefrence between Campy and Shimano, one is meant to rebuilt and use for ever, the other you get a few trouble free years out of it wear it out and throw it away.
There's just something about a twin that is competative and ridable on the street, think about what a four would be like that was truly competative with a v8 in the car world.
Sorry to hear about your conclusion, but then again as they say some ones trash is anothers pride and joy.
Enjoy yourself, what ever you get. Just stay away from WSBK and MotoGP.

#26 ·
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
Sure Jap bikes are great, I'm a Honda guy myself, If I were to imbibe. But I guess in the end it's the difefrence between Campy and Shimano, one is meant to rebuilt and use for ever, the other you get a few trouble free years out of it wear it out and throw it away.
Wait a minute here.... I've owned both Campy Record and Shimano STX gear.... neither have broken down on me and both have lasted a LONG time. Very poor example there dude....

Not sure what your cash situation looks like, but buying ANOTHER Ducati seems impracticle to me. But I dont know the severity of your bike either.

In a perfect world, we may all have a Duc and another bike for those months when Italy can't seem to get us back on the road! And NO, not two Duccs... because I think I've already seen reports in here of guys who have seen BOTH of their Ducs in the shop on stands right next to each other! OUCH!

#8 ·
So I've learned my lesson and will only by Jap in the future. I feel no need to defend a substandard bike just because I dropped a shit load of money on it and have to justify myself.

All the best and I hope you all end up with the bike you dreamed about. (I mean that, no joke)

Cheers
Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

And thank you. It is my dream bike.

#10 ·
If you aren't so happy with your bike but still in love with Ducati, dump the bike and get a new one. That is what happen to my last MB. Perhaps a 1198s? If money can solve the problem, just do it! Like Jap bike? 2009 R1 seems to be a good choice, street version of Rossi M1 engine.

#11 ·
If you aren't so happy with your bike but still in love with Ducati, dump the bike and get a new one. That is what happen to my last MB. Perhaps a 1198s? If money can solve the problem, just do it! Like Jap bike? 2009 R1 seems to be a good choice, street version of Rossi M1 engine.
I wholeheartedly agree with this, give it a chance. On another note, sorry My1st but that new R1 could not be farther from Rossi's M1. You have been reading too many magazine headlines. That engines firing order is about the only thing that they have in common.

#12 ·
sorry to hear that rosco. i always read your posts as you always had something decent to say, backed up by genuine knowledge. good luck. it doesn't matter what you ride mate as long as you ride and are happy doing so

#13 ·
I always thought anything worth having was worth working for. I am glad I found this forum. I plan on buying an a new ducati in it's first year fully knowing the issues people have had in the past. I am sure I will get upset when the inevitable happpens and it breaks, but I think high performance machines tend to have high performance problems. I think it is worth it to be able to not have a bike you see everywhere, at least where I live.

#15 ·
I think high performance machines tend to have high performance problems.
Well that is refreshing idea! I could not agree with you more. I too have had to deal with my Voltage Regulator crapping out and the rear sprocket recall performed, but none of that diminished in any way my love for this beautiful machine. When I am riding all alone on a deserted twisty road early in the morning, nothing on earth feels like banging through the gears and hitting apexs. When I talk to Isabella, she talks back.

#17 ·
got a '97 900 SS... original owner... 40,000 plus miles.. have never commuted on it... the miles are all from weekend canyons and track days...

never once a problem with it..

i guess if one doesn't like Ducati's.. there's another forum that will be glad to hear why...

#22 ·
Rosco, hopefully you feel better today, and you will come back and read this.

Bikes are all different dude. Ducatis are different to Jap bikes. It's just a fact. Accept it, and just enjoy the ride for what it is. We all have different experiences with them. So?

Don't lose the plot over it, just change your own outlook and get happy with it for what it is.

You don't need to leave here. As has been stated, your posts have always been of a high standard, and you're not a retard like me and some of the others. But we can't all be retards.

You will be missed.

The invitation from Wilson and myself is open to you should you come to SA.

Give us a call.

#23 ·
too bad to see you go. for some the reliability of a Honda outweighs the class non-cookie cutter that Ducati represents. Guess it is better to find out now, and find another ride to go to. Good luck to you, and hope you have a better experience with the mass produced machines. At least there will be plenty of them around Starbucks to hang out with.

#24 ·
The main issue I have with Ducati right now, and it doesnt even concern my bike or even ducati but my cousins tri has been in the shop for a month because they cant figure out why the bike wont read the temp correctly. Once warm the bike runs fine but the read out and warm up is screwed up.

It should not take a month to diagnose a problem, waiting for a part from Italy is one thing, trying to figure out what part you need is another.

#27 ·
OK everybody, maybe we all need to just take a breather. Do you all realize what we have done. We may have offended the owner of a pedal bike with our thoughtless references to his shimano gear changing equipment. You FOOLS! :stickpoke :D:D:D

#31 ·
I have owned some 30 bikes or so over the years. And most of them Jap sport bikes. I have also owned 6 Ducatis. I have done this dance back and forth several times always wishing I had another Ducati when I didn't. I now own two Ducatis and still once and a while ask my girlfriend if I can take her Gixxer out. The Ducati moves the soul like no Jap bike can. But I still enjoy riding them all. Now someone talk me out of that new Aprilia V4!!:confused:

#32 ·
talk you out of it?... hell no... if you can afford to add it to your stable.... that Aprilia looks he business...

#34 ·
from what i guess... Spies was looking for motogp options for the future...

not only was yamaha happy to consider this idea... Spies knows the new R-1 will be competitive right away in WSBK... (did ya see the Valencia times?)... and the M-1 is looking a hell of a lot better than suzuki's motogp bike
timeline?...
'09... spies finishes top 3 if not winning WSBK..
'10... spies finally wins WSBK title... or if that occurs in '09... me moves to become Rossi's new teammate in MotoGP..... worst case...if Rossi stays for motogp in '11... Spies will be his team mate... or yamaha may be lining Spies up to be Rossi's possible replacement....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.