Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though it's banned in WSBK and GP, it is good see Ducati go forward with some "new to motorcycle technology" (as it's been on must cars for many years though).

"Ducati sent out a rather terse press mailer today, which you can see above. Simply stating that DVT is coming on October 15th, we would normally be scratching our heads over what the Italian manufacturer has in store.
However, since we broke the news yesterday about Ducati bringing variable valve timing to the market, first with its all-new Multistrada, one doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist to put two-and-two together to come up with “Ducati Valve Timing” as the teaser’s subject.
Apparently debuting online, Ducati’s variable timing tech will release just a day ahead of the AIMExpo. Presumably, more info will be available at the American trade show, though we don’t expect Ducati to unveil its new Multistrada until the EICMA show in Milan, in a month’s time.
Our sources have confirmed that the new Multistrada will use the Testastretta 11° engine, and not the Superquadro motor found in the Ducati 1199 Panigale. Since the Superquadro was built to act as a more integral part of the Panigale chassis, necessitating a “frameless” design, it would have been unsuitable for the Multistrada’s adventure/sport touring duties."

"For the 2015 model year, Ducati is bringing a brand new Multistrada, which will debut at the upcoming EICMA show in Milan, Italy. Not much has been said about the new Multistrada, aside from A&R breaking the news about the new model a few weeks ago, so we thought we would update you further on it.
Designed to look very similar to the current Multistrada 1200, the new Multistrada will keep the basic profile and design of its predecessor, despite being an all-new machine. Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of the 2015 Ducati Multistrada though is the fact that Borgo Panigale has fitted variable valve timing (VVT) to the desmodromic valves of the Testastretta 11° engine.
Ducati certainly isn’t the first company to bring VVT to the motorcycle realm, with Honda best known for its VTEC technology on the VFR800, which saw modest power increases come at the expense of extremely time-consuming valve adjustments on the overly complex cylinder head.
How exactly Ducati will implement VVT on the Testastretta 11° engine, and thus affect duration and lift, remains to be seen though, as there are a multitude of ways that the Multistrada could be fitted with variable valve timing. Surprisingly, no patents have been uncovered (yet) from Bologna in this effort, though the Italian factory should spill the beans in a few weeks’ time.
Expect the all-new 2015 Ducati Multistrada to break cover ahead of the EICMA show on November 3rd, along with Ducati’s new 1299 superbike."

?DVT? Ducati Valve Timing Announcement Coming Soon

Variable Valve Timing Coming to the Ducati Multistrada

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

Interesting development, it's a clever idea for street bikes because it allows for broader power over the course of the rev range. I like the simplicity, to me thats the key in anything like this working and ya gotta had it to them, Ducati did a great job making it simple! :)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
They didn't 'lift' the desmo drive. More like the 'pulley' from the end of a camshaft. ;)

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
Looking forward to the improvent. But it's not always perfect out the box. My cx-7 had this issue (VVT actuator failure) lucky enough I herd the warning signs of it failing and replaced it before it went out on me. Mazda had ext warranty to 80k miles mine went at 88k.

Does anyone know if the will be using chains instead of belts?

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
Chain just not feasible on a motorcycle engine?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Chain just not feasible on a motorcycle engine?
Sorry T. If they can do this for a pulley (belt) on the end of a cam then I can't see why it couldn't be adapted for a sprocket(chain) on the end of a cam.

Currently the belted 1198 motor.... who knows what's next.

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
Maybe a belt is more forgiving for high torque / revs. Having a couple belt failures I'd sure like to see a chain :)

Perhaps they evolve it and just arnt throwing too much change at once.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The way Ducati have designed the testastretta, the guides and tensioner systems would require an entire re-working of the cases, especially the crankcase. I personally believe they're trying to "get by" with the same ol' cases for a while longer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the camshaft timing phaser is hydraulic than I would think that it most likely would be a chain as belts don't like oil and chains do. Just about every auto manufacture has been using some form of VVT (variable valve timing) system for years now. I do believe they all use a chain drivin pulley actuated with oil pressure which is control via an electric solenoid. However ducati may be different. They are after all Italian.
Just my 0.02 $

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
If the camshaft timing phaser is hydraulic than I would think that it most likely would be a chain as belts don't like oil and chains do. Just about every auto manufacture has been using some form of VVT (variable valve timing) system for years now. I do believe they all use a chain drivin pulley actuated with oil pressure which is control via an electric solenoid. However ducati may be different. They are after all Italian.
Just my 0.02 $

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum
Exactly how my Mazda works.

·
Registered
238 Posts
they all work like that is a generic way to do that just like suck squeeze bang blow (intake compression, power and exhaust). manufactures use a different way for oil delivery which is what control the advance or retard of the cam by filling the opposite side with oil. so nothing new chain or belt wont make a different. now, low oil wrong oil bad oil is what make this system so notorious and turn it into a nightmare for the consumer which at the end is always their problem for the previous mention issues.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Chain + oil + 1198 motor = more weight and a redesign of that motor then if you just leave it as is with the lighter belt system without the cost of a redesign. They will switch to the chain when they decide to upgrade to a different motor sans panigale 899/1199 motor if that ever happens IMHO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are plenty of cars with VVT and belt driven cams. I own one now, and have owned others in the past. There is nothing about VVT that makes a chain a requirement.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts