Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a commuter and want music for freeway rides. Interested in an in-ear system that will act as an earplug and headphone simultaneously. Also interested in noise cancelling. Do they work for wind noise inside helmets? Thx

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm a commuter and want music for freeway rides. Interested in an in-ear system that will act as an earplug and headphone simultaneously. Also interested in noise cancelling. Do they work for wind noise inside helmets? Thx

I use these headphones by JBL. They do dampen the outside noise, come in red to match the Duc, reflective wire (can go wireless if you wish). Every ride I throw headphones in to listen to music as well as for finding my way back if I get lost by listening to Google Maps.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/186299/JBL-Reflect-In-Ear-Headphones-For/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Audio-_-186299-VQ6-42102245276-VQ16m-VQ17-pla-VQ18-online-VQ19-186299-VQ20-76860675716-VQ21-

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use skullcandy (chops in ear) which is an earbud that wraps around your ear. I love the sound quality and that it has volume, skip, repeat and headset control on the cord. Also comes in red.
They do cost $50 though. Also not noise canceling.

I like to hear my music and hear my bike.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Big $ But BIG Sound!

As stated, these are pretty pricey but after trying every set on the market I finally found my faves in these!

Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones

They may look like they would be touched and interfered with by a helmet but believe it or not its less than many, including the high end Bose ones.
Best Buy had these in their Magnolia section and had a set out to try, and that alone sold me on them asap!

Since I ALWAYS wear earplugs when riding these were the perfect match since they fit right "inside" the ear to block out everything else and produce wicked bass and clear highs big time! Thats about all I can say except check out the reviews and try em out. Also use them with my Sena and they sound just as good talking on phone, listening to music and turn by turn directions via GPS.

·
Registered
12,889 Posts

·
Administrator
2,859 Posts
I had a pair of Ety's, but they failed in less than a year. I'm currently using a set of Shure in ears from a few years ago, but I've been looking to upgrade to either a custom set or some of the newer Shures, as they have a lower in-ear profile than the ones I have. I do have some custom molded earplugs that I use at the track or when I don't want music, and when I go shooting.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Glad to hear others also use earbuds when street riding. Always seems to be a touchy subject when brought up on other boards.

Skullcandy user with marshmallow earplugs (instead of the gelled/silicone type they came with). Fits like the earplugs I use at the track.

-Christian

·
Administrator
2,859 Posts
Yeah, even though I've used them while street riding, it's far from my normal practice. I still haven't decided how comfortable I am with the idea.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Anyone care to elaborate about the reasons for not wearing headphones? I don't see any huge reasons jumping at me aside from being unable to hear the engine, other cars etc. Even though with the earplugs it would be difficult to hear as well.

·
Administrator
2,859 Posts
Actually, I've found that wearing earplugs helps me identify what's going on around me for some reason. I wish I'd known younger, as my left ear has a horrible case of constant tinnitus these days :(.

While music is absolutely essential when I'm driving, it's a bit more of a distraction while riding. I want my observational skills to be at their sharpest while riding....if I'm rockin' out to Springsteen or AC/DC, I'm not paying full attention to what's going on around me. And that's an invitation to trouble.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have been using custom molded earbuds for music for years and years.
Can still hear emergency vehicles and everything that is going on around me.
Never had a problem.
However, the yes and no arguments will always be there. Same as what oil should I use?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I like them for commuting to work and don't have the volume to loud as to not hear the outside world. But I have never found a good way to control volume levels on my ipod/iphones . I always have some songs much louder then others.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts