Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
If you are not taking two all the time, the set up you linked would take a while to make it worth the investment. It was about 100 bucks for my home made set up.

When I solo I use this TRACKSIDE - Roll On Wheel Chock - Tie-downs - Transport & Storage - Accessories - Cycle Gear

and I bolt it down but that's over kill it doesn't go anywhere once you strap it down.
Why not just have 2 of those anyway? Sure you'd need a slightly bigger board because those are longer, and yeah they're 40 bucks more, but they're worth it. So much nicer, especially if you're doing things all by yourself. I can trust that chock to hold the bike perfectly upright, whereas those gray harbor freight ones are pretty sketchy. I have one of those as well on my bike table/workbench and it almost fell over once because it's not very stable. Just doesn't hold the front wheel in as well.

The thing I've always wondered about putting 2 bikes in a truck is how the hell do you put the 2nd bike in?? It just doesn't look like there's enough room to stand between the bikes when you first walk the bike all the way in and then to strap it down :confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just sold my SUV and bought a GMC Sierra pick up truck. I bought a nice folding ramp, but on second use, I nearly lost my 1098 backing the bike down the ramp.

Although my ramp was dry, I had some moisture in my truck bed from driving home in the rain. The tires picked this up and once I got the front wheel off the bed of the truck, the tires just slid down the ramp out of control. Fortunately I didn't drop my bike, but it got the old heart rate going.

So I bought four 12" x 24" sheets of aluminum from McMastercar along with some C clips and non slip, self adhesive tread.

I bolted on the four panels of aluminum and then stuck the non slip tread on the aluminum.

I also use a ramp to walk up. I bought a ramp kit which included a tailgate lip and a rubber foot. I covered a 2" x 10" x 8' with the same no slip.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't really have to deal with rain. But every time I go to unload, and things are cool, when the rear tire gets about halfway down the ramp, the front starts sliding out of the bed. Then, instead of helping, my "friends" whip out their phones and start videoing... dicks..... So, I've decided to find new, better friends, with higher resolution video capabilities

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry your original post has been edited, can you do a quick summary or photos?

I'm curious as to what you have?

Thanks

Craig
It's actually called Ready Ramp bed ext.

Ready Ramp Bed Extender

I went back on forth on trailer types ect. I didn't want to store one in the end. The extra space with the tail gate works great for the gas cans, cooler etc. I can load 3 bikes in if needed.

Video of me first trying it out. It's solid, sturdy and not slippery.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
I swear by the ready ramp. They were a ti2tt sponsor, so they gave all the instructors ramps. They were 2nds and blems. Not really suitable for retail, but perfectly functional. This was like 2005. My first move was to give away my old ramp, that was still pretty new. My truck is a mid-sized 4 door, so the bed is like 5'8" long. The extra space is a godsend. Easily do 2 bikes, stands, generator, big e-z up, gas bottles, tool boxes, dogs, ice chest, bicycles, and everything else needed for a weekend at the track. Although i probably look like the Clampets. I still use it almost every weekend. Even with the Sprinter van the ready ramp folds up small and stowes nicely

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Tchase, move that red box out of the way, get a good running start, roll the bike up the ramp, and use the bars to help you jump into the truck bed. It's super quick and easy to do by yourself... just make sure your shoe laces are tied first.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Tchase, move that red box out of the way, get a good running start, roll the bike up the ramp, and use the bars to help you jump into the truck bed. It's super quick and easy to do by yourself... just make sure your shoe laces are tied first.

That was the very first time and I intentionally stopped I wanted to test if I could walk it up the hump (had my son spot me) then we checked ground clearance. I regularly load unload frequently. A good tip plan you parking incline/decline makes it even simpler.

·
Registered
555 Posts
In the pics your ramp seems like it is pretty straight. Mine has an arc to it. I mean the segments are straight, but the hinges don't quite go to180° giving it an arch. This helps a lot with clearance. . Its also the small sized one, wich would make a steeper angle.. and less clearance.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.