Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
My thoughts are that it's a good effort and it's nice seeing someone in the US make a sport bike to compete with the Europeans and Japanese. However, it still needs some work. It lacks in power compared to the competition, weight is nothing to brag about (a bit on the heavy side). Appearance is always going to be in the eye of the beholder...I'm personally not to fond about it. I appreciate Erik's efforts in making something more unique but that whole thing with gas in the frame, oil in the swingarm, and giant uni-sided rotor have to go.

Reactions: cbr6

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
These bikes are very good. Bogg stock it will surprise and dates and ducati I have owned or ridden. With an exhaust and some suspension work it will only get better. Don't worry about the front brakes they work every bit as well as the mono blocks on the 1198. If you get in the the logic behind what Erik has done it all makes a lot of sense. These bike will only get better and better.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The EBR is a great looking bike and performs well but unfortunately Erik doesn't have the lengthy history that the other manufacturers do so he's breaking ground so to speak. Others have tried before but the old adage of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes up. I do love innovation though and Erik just needs some serious backing from a source other than that previous company that dumped him high and dry.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The EBR is a great looking bike and performs well but unfortunately Erik doesn't have the lengthy history that the other manufacturers do so he's breaking ground so to speak. Others have tried before but the old adage of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes up. I do love innovation though and Erik just needs some serious backing from a source other than that previous company that dumped him high and dry.
Exactly! Harley didn't help him in the long run, they stole all his great ideas and spit him out the backside. Throwing inventory into dumpsters…. twas so sad to see Buell fail. Erik needs to do his own thing, unrestricted and unfortunately he's even more restricted today due lack of secure future financing. It's hard to develop when you can barely keep the lights on.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I test rode one recently and quietly impressed . Doesn't have that sex of a ducati , but it was a real twin and so easy to ride Brand new bike all canned up with greasy new tyres on the road, so it was hard to get a feel for track like personality. They do read up well , and kitted with the 200hp upgrade the power is there. 190kg wet is still a lot of bike , but didnt feel heavy . When you study the bike , many things become apparent that extra thought has gone into basic designs . This brand deserves more than a glance

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Hero ownes 51% of EBR. That's pretty secure I'd reckon.
That's the problem though. After Harley screwed him over, Erik started again, from scratch this time to make his own motorcycle company, but the majority of "his" company is owned by someone else already.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I think if Erik could align himself with a motorcycle company with some serious race pedigree and either their own money or serious backing, great things could happen and quickly. Even the great companies have come up with excellent innovations but fall short in the execution. Anyone remember the oval piston Honda GP bike or the TL1000R with a rotary rear damper??

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
That's the problem though. After Harley screwed him over, Erik started again, from scratch this time to make his own motorcycle company, but the majority of "his" company is owned by someone else already.
Operating/development money. Critical for the overall success of a smaller motorcycle manufacturer. Even Ducati has crossed that bridge, no problem. :shruggy:

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Exactly! Harley didn't help him in the long run, they stole all his great ideas and spit him out the backside. Throwing inventory into dumpsters…. twas so sad to see Buell fail. Erik needs to do his own thing, unrestricted and unfortunately he's even more restricted today due lack of secure future financing. It's hard to develop when you can barely keep the lights on.
Uh, like wrong dude....just sayin...:shrug:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Operating/development money. Critical for the overall success of a smaller motorcycle manufacturer. Even Ducati has crossed that bridge, no problem. :shruggy:
That's true, and I totally understand why he needed to do that. In his shoes, I probably would've done the same. It's the only way to keep things going when starting out and you don't have a huge budget to start with. I just think it'd be nice to have a US sport bike manufacturer that's fully (or mostly) US owned.

Plus the only reason they were able to take part in WSBK was because of the funding from Hero. I hope they keep improving overall and grow as a company. It would be great to see EBR succeed, but as of right now, if I was in the market for a $15k-20k sport bike, the 1190RX would not be on my list.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
^^^ Nor my choice, it would be a Ducati...and yes I am wishing for an American made Superbike....I race with a couple of guys who are on Buells, some are very fast, Pat Mooney comes to mind, they love em.... I just cannot afford to go changing this late in the game....I know the 848/1098 pretty good after eight years!!! ( didn't say pretty fast!!! :) )

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
You could liken EBR heading to WSBK to Ducati heading to MotoGP. The had lots of experience in the WSBK with many different titles but they put themselves in territory up against company's who'd been doing it for decades. They had the out right speed but getting it stopped and cornered was another story. Took em a few yrs and mucho bucks to get it done and haven't been able to duplicate it since. Close again but noooooo cigar!!

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Speaking of EBR.... for 2015....

EBR HERO HIT THE TRACK WITH THEIR NEW LINE-UP

Team EBR Hero made good use of the superb weather in southern USA recently to try out their new rider line-up of American Larry Pegram and Italian Niccolo Canepa in preparation for the 2015 season. The team tested at Louisiana’s NOLA [Motorsports Park] circuit and also at Jennings [GP] racetrack in Florida, using Pegram’s AMA bikes, with WSBK suspension and Pirelli tyres.

Larry Pegram is both team manager and rider for the team’s second year in the World Superbike Championship and thought Niccolo would benefit from a test of the EBR Hero 1190RX before the next year’s January tests in Portugal and Spain.

Larry Pegram

"First of all, I would like to say how positively the tests went and also how well Niccolo adapted to the bike. After just a few laps he was smiling and happy and that made the whole team feel good. NOLA and Jennings are two very different types of tracks and it was good to see how the bikes behaved at each one. Jennings is a fairly small track, with lots of different types of corners and a short lap time. NOLA is bigger and has faster straights and harder braking so, between the two circuits, we were able to gather a lot of information. I think Niccolo was surprised about how well the EBR Hero 1190RX performed and, once he had turned a few laps, he was already pushing it and finding out what it could do. I was surprised how comfortable he was on the bike so quickly. He was fast right from the get-go and ending up by breaking the Jennings lap record by 7/10ths of a second!

"We were using my bikes from this year, with full World Superbike-spec suspension, Pirelli tyres and ‘fly-by-wire’ electronics. Over the tests, we swapped bikes from time to time and that was very interesting because Niccolo and I had virtually the same comments and feedback.

"I think it’s going to be very exciting next year – Niccolo has experience of the tracks and that’s going to be a big help, as he will know his way around from the first lap. He is great to work with and his feedback is very good. I know the bike very well, so I really feel that we can move this amazing project along.

"Of course, there’s a lot of work to do before next season starts, but these tests have been extremely encouraging and now we’re all looking forward to our next time on the track."

Niccolo Canepa

"It was good to leave Europe’s weather behind and ride a bike in Louisiana and Florida in perfect conditions. Not only the weather was good, but so was the EBR Hero 1190RX! I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. It didn’t take me long to feel comfortable and start pushing and trying to find its limits. The bike is a lovely package. It handles and steers really well and I enjoyed myself a lot during the tests.

"It was very interesting to try the bike on two different types of racetrack and that gave us a superb opportunity to try lots of different thing and get very used to it. Larry and I swapped bikes several times and we both had similar comments, so we know we’re heading in the right direction. At Jennings I broke the lap record, which made us all very happy. There’s more to come from this bike for sure. My first taste of it has been very good and positive and now I cannot wait to ride it again and see how far we can progress."

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Broke the lap record @ Jennings!!! First time on the EBR, first time on the track, what the hell??
We are not talking about a bunch of "no bodies" who have been to Jennings on AMA 1000cc Superbikes!!! I'm impressed!!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hero ownes 51% of EBR. That's pretty secure I'd reckon.
Hero gave Erik 25 million dollars in exchange for 49.2% of EBR. They also finance his racing, which puts the "Hero" name out there on international television. The goal is to be producing 20k units a year by 2017.

Unfortunately, 25 million dollars, isn't enough money to develop a fleet of motorcycles and setup resale establishments around the world. What sold Buell's in the past was the brand's attachment to Harley. Attaching the Buell brand to Hero at dealerships, could be a possibility in other countries, but not in North America and Europe. To be successful, they will need an independent dealer network.

These are some of the reasons I personally don't feel Erik is secure yet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.