Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell o All!
I hope someone can point me in the right direction before my 2005 749 breaks my heart.

My bike was throwing me injector 1 and 2 error codes at the same time. Replaced ECU with stock used one from ebay, (EU version, not US version). Flashed ECU and ticked off immobilizer. Now she turns over and will fire with starting fluid, but still no fuel pump action. replaced fuel pump and filter. I'm getting ECU error code 37.3. Have Red key, original black key and aftermarket key with transponder in the key. Following service manual instructions for reprogramming the keys, but I'm not seeing the 30 second count down when I put in the red key. Funny thing is that if I run the reprogramming procedure, I get the red shift led light pattern saying I reprogrammed with 3 keys but the program didnt take. when inserting the second black key, the dash light up sequence is a little different than when I insert the first two keys. Why am I not getting the 30 second count down displaying? Why isnt the fuel pump running? Why will the bike fire but not start when I squirt her with starting fluid? What should I check next? Has anyone ever had this problem?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

There are too many variables to give you a solid answer. The biggest problem I see right from the bat is your "aftermarket" key, that's scary because who knows what it is. When you turn the key to the on position, the antenna is activated and if it doesn't pick up a key at all, it can throw a 37.3 code which basically means the system can't read the key. It doesn't mean the antenna broken or unplugged, it just means it's incapable of reading the key for some reason.

The first thing I'd do is unplug the ECU and make sure there are no bent pins. It's hard to do that, but since you bought a used ECU, ya never know what the previous owner did.

Second thing I'd do is re-read the procedure a few more times. The aftermarket key COULD cause a problem with the whole event because it may not be able to read it for some reason. That's the ONE variable that potentially could be causing your issues. The service manual I have states there needs to be AT LEAST 2 keys re-programmed, so if you had ONE good key and ONE bad key, the re-programming may through some errors.

I hope that gives you a tiny bit of help. You can also re-program the ECU to shut off the system, that's for sure another option if you're stuck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

There are too many variables to give you a solid answer. The biggest problem I see right from the bat is your "aftermarket" key, that's scary because who knows what it is. When you turn the key to the on position, the antenna is activated and if it doesn't pick up a key at all, it can throw a 37.3 code which basically means the system can't read the key. It doesn't mean the antenna broken or unplugged, it just means it's incapable of reading the key for some reason.

The first thing I'd do is unplug the ECU and make sure there are no bent pins. It's hard to do that, but since you bought a used ECU, ya never know what the previous owner did.

Second thing I'd do is re-read the procedure a few more times. The aftermarket key COULD cause a problem with the whole event because it may not be able to read it for some reason. That's the ONE variable that potentially could be causing your issues. The service manual I have states there needs to be AT LEAST 2 keys re-programmed, so if you had ONE good key and ONE bad key, the re-programming may through some errors.

I hope that gives you a tiny bit of help. You can also re-program the ECU to shut off the system, that's for sure another option if you're stuck.
Tuned, your God sent! It has to be that key. My manual says must have one red and two black keys are minimum number of keys to program the system, but I'll try it with just two, (my original red and one black key).

Have any idea why the dash has never given me the 30 second count down display?

When I flashed the ECU I turned off the immobilizer and the starter then worked, but still no fuel pump action, even when I test it with jpdiag. Could this be remnant of the 37.3 error?

And lastly is it possible to just use a cutting torch or sledge hammer to eliminate the whole key ignition and replace with a toggle switch as a last ditch effort, (read no patience to wait for another key) because if I cant get on her and ride her soon, I'm know I'm gonna need to go see a shrink! I never thought I would love to do something so much as I do riding my ducati. I have a virtually brand new Honda VFR800 that I wont even look at anymore. Once you ride a Ducati, (at least for me that is), that was all she wrote. I'm like a drug addict now and I cant think of anything else.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The 30 second display is critical, if it's not giving that to you, then that could be evidence of your immobilizer antenna not functioning properly. The error 37.3 is further evidence your red key isn't being read properly. Maybe your new ECU has a problem and isn't able to read that antenna for some reason? I'd for sure take the little black ring off from around the key ignition system and see if the wires are still all plugged in, etc.

Blow torches and sledge hammers don't work well on Ducati's, they need little plastic mallets made in Bologna. If they weren't made in Bologna, then you're screwed! LOL :D

You can replace the ignition switch with a simple on/off. It's really easy to do, but you'd need the ECU reprogrammed to ignore the key's. That's the big problem here and it can be done for not much money, just need to contact someone like Motowheels-Motorcycle Performance Products for Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprilia, KTM - Rancho Cordova - Sacramento and discuss the immobilizer re-program with them.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
To me it sounds like you already have the immobilizer disabled with jpdiag. Last I played with it the bike doesn't crank when the key is wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts