Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, the Ducati Tuning FTP is open for business!

Ducati Tuning FTP Page

Gimme all you got and I'll get the uploaded files moved into their proper directory of the FTP as I have a chance! Link to the FTP in your signature like mine to help spread the word!

I'm simply trying to get it sorted so people know what ECU their bike uses and have the stock bin and an XDF for that ECU on the FTP for them to use in a software like TunerPro and just start learning from there.

Thanks! Alex

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow fantastic!
I was going to fiddle with ducatidiag. But might give this a shot.

Is there some simple instructions for guys that have never done this before

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No instruction yet, most likely never will be. It's far too comprehensive to ever fully document everything. That what tuning forums are for, sharing that type of knowledge. A WiKi would be crazy.

I suggest downloading TunerPro, a matching XDF file for the ECU and BIN file, then just open the BIN and start looking around. Everything should be well named in the XDF files. Then you can start looking for what hardware you need to flash the ECU EEPROM using a laptop.

Although right now there is only 1 BIN and XDF on there since people are only now starting to contribute since I only launched it today.

Personally, I've been tuning cars for years and I saw a need for this in the Ducati community. Hopefully it grows like it has for most cars.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What is difference between xdf and bin ?
.xdf is basically an instruction set translation for a specific ECU. It says "OK, the bit written to data block X represents X parameter. This is the toughest part, reverse engineering the ECU to know what parameters are where and noting their purpose in the .xdf file. Even on a 20yr old ECU it can be an ongoing process as people discover new ways to expand for example a spark and fuel table to a higher RPM than contained in the original tune.

.bin is the actual file with the parameters a person has set to be burned to the EEPROM.

In turn depending on the specific EEPROM chip itself in the ECU, there is a file that says at what byte block to start writing the information to the EEPROM. TunerPro already includes what it needs to work with 90% of the EEPROMs out there, for example an Atmel 29c256 which was super popular a decade ago. Plus the software will let you manually enter the byte address to start writing as well.

BTW, EEPROM = Electronic Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. Back in the day we only had PROMs which had to be erased by UV. Now they can be erased with slight power from a USB port.

Tuning isn't for someone who doesn't 100% understand how an engine works and what ever single sensor does, how it does it, and how it works with the measurement of other sensors to know what the ECU does with that information. It can take a couple years just to get to where you start mastering things.

That said, we all start somewhere. That is why we need a Ducati forum with a tuning specific sub-forum for people to ask questions and to server as a searchable KB. Hopefully, one day, we will have a .xdf for every Ducati ECU and also a stock .bin for every model. I'm sure lots of people have certain ones, with this central resource we can all start sharing.

As a disclaimer for anyone else who reads this: It is only advised to base your tune off a stock .bin or one that has a VERY comprehensive change log for the mods that engine has. Even then, even if your bike has the EXACT same mods as the change logs notes, every engine is different, especially so the more miles it has on it. All .bin files are meant only as guidelines to base your own custom tune off of. Once you have your bike running well enough to start dyno tuning, then you take it to a dyno and use a WB o2 to dial in the tune specific for your engine. Cars have an advantage, you can put the laptop in the passenger seat and make all the full throttle and other runs on the street. A bike, yeah not so much, gotta have a dyno.

All tuning forums prohibit people from "PROM begging", in other words, be respectful and learn it yourself like all of the other DIY'ers, don't ever just beg someone to make a change for you. It's very frowned upon.

A little about myself and what I bring to this project: I'm an I.T. Manager for an engineering company so I have the server resources and I'm not going to just take the FTP down because I couldn't pay the hosting bill or something lol. I've been DIY tuning for 14years, 12 years doing it semi-professionally. I do dyno tuning as an independent if a person wants to rent the dyno and have me come in. Not much anymore tho, I sold most of my stuff. I've done everything from Porsches to Corvettes to Zs. I specialize in forced induction tuning. I've been doing it since Mark wrote the beta of TunerPro and since Craig created most of the tuning hardware.

Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is difference between xdf and bin ?
  • BIN is a book (in scientific-jargon).
  • XDF is the table of contents (with glossary).
Put another way:

• BIN firmware is the "hard drive" for your bike.
  • Fuel/Ignition maps are your "personal files".
  • Microcode/sensors/etc. are the "operating system".
  • XDFs are "favorites"/"shortcut links".
Suffice to say, you can fix a lot of things by becoming the Administrator of your own ECU, instead of a Guest account.
However, you can also potentially cause a lot of serious problems.

Wow fantastic!
I was going to fiddle with ducatidiag. But might give this a shot.
I do not think you will have any luck... the editing part of that program was discontinued, so this is the only alternative.
(However, he still makes an excellent diagnostic application)
Plus, this is the only free-as-in-speech, free-as-in-beer alternative.

I would recommend against messing with your ECU until you have an idea what you want to do.
There are special tools necessary to "fix" the maps, such as a Dyno, wideband O2 Lambda sensors, or Dataloggers.

Unless you have access to those things, these programs are like giving a regular person a very sharp medical scalpel.
You don't have use for it, or the doctor training to use it properly.

However, anyone can do simple things like use it to cut and paste from someone else's ECU onto yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts