Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have reached the end of my rope trying to get my unmodified 1199 to run anywhere near acceptably at cruise or light throttle. The bike surges and bucks badly at anything other than hard accell. I don't need more horsepower I am just interested in getting it to run decent. My question is I want to know if there is an aftermarket solution to reprogram the stock ecu without replacing it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you purchase the tuneboy? Does it keep the ck engine light from coming on? How long have you had it installed? That sounds like what I've been looking for. The bike is out of warranty now and I have had no luck trying to get the dealer to fix this since I've owned it. I appreciate the input

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is your check engine light on? If it is what is the error message? No reflash or tuner will fix a broke bike to start with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is a link to the software.http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Support/SetupDucatiMitsubishi_V4.php

It will install the trim program and user manual. Read the user manual it will describe all the functions. You can open the program and see the different trim files available. It requires a key and the flash interface to actually flash the ecu. Their web site is TuneBoy - Engine Management Systems.

Unlike a ECU flash were you have to send your ecu away. you have the ability to modify the ECU yourself, and don't have to send it away multiple times if you add upgrades.

Also there is no permanent equipment to install like the intercepter type tuners (Bazzaz, Powercommander, ETC...)
each has their +/-

the flash is great for removing the closed loop, disabling sensors, changing fan temp settings etc etc, but not great for fuelling/ignition.

piggybacks are great for fuelling, but do nothing else.

any time you effectively hardcode your fuelling map in the ECU (flash/tuneboy), you will almost certainly be running rich/lean in various parts of the map. you need a dyno to get it right for your bike, but even then you're at the mercy of the weather.

basically, each method will get you closer to perfect, but even combining them all, even with an auto-tune device, will never get you 100% of the way there. too many variables day to day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the bike doesn't have any codes or cel, it just plain runs like crap at cruise or small throttle openings, it is especially bad at 3500 to 5000 rpm. It has been to the dealer several times and had new software installed and is on its 3rd set of spark plugs. It is better than when I first bought it, but still is unpleasant to drive in normal traffic situations. This is my 3rd ducati and I was prepared for the usual lower rpm roughness, but this surging and bucking is beyond what is acceptable to me. It seems like it is EPA mandated leanness,and I suspect a good software programming could cure what ails it. It does kick ass when you are on the gas however!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
have you thought about the 41T rear sprocket and upmap?

plenty of people reporting very positive results in traffic. pretty cheap too.

if i were you, i would hit a 41T, flash, and a Bazzaz + dyno. horses for courses though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts