Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

seriously considering getting the new 1098. I am coming from a Honda CBR600RR, and am wondering what I can expect. I am getting older (now 38 ugh), and am looking for something classier and more exotic than a Honda.

I have seen posts about first time superbike riders not being ready for the transition, so I wonder if some of you could educate me on what to expect.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you can control your right wrist...then you'll be fine. Take it slow, get used to the power and especially the monoblock brakes. lastly...enjoy!

·
Registered
337 Posts
1098WI said:
Hi all,

seriously considering getting the new 1098. I am coming from a Honda CBR600RR, and am wondering what I can expect. I am getting older (now 38 ugh), and am looking for something classier and more exotic than a Honda.

I have seen posts about first time superbike riders not being ready for the transition, so I wonder if some of you could educate me on what to expect.

Thanks all!
WI,
38 is OLD??!!
I've got a decade on you and agree that the best thing about a Twin is the real ability to control the ride with your wrist.
Unlike some 600s, you don't have to worry about the instant hard hit that can cause problems.
When I originally switched up to liter bikes, that was the reason I picked the RC51. Nice smooth power that's easy to control.
The new 1098 is lighter (and more powerful) than the RC, and should be even easier to ride.
Good riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
WI,
38 is OLD??!!
I've got a decade on you and agree that the best thing about a Twin is the real ability to control the ride with your wrist.
Unlike some 600s, you don't have to worry about the instant hard hit that can cause problems.
When I originally switched up to liter bikes, that was the reason I picked the RC51. Nice smooth power that's easy to control.
The new 1098 is lighter (and more powerful) than the RC, and should be even easier to ride.
Good riding.
Very True......Just easy on the brakes in the Traffic.......

·
Registered
215 Posts
Definately not gonna be as comfortable as your Honda. But definately just as fun if not more. You'll get more attention and you'll have something that stands apart from the rest of the crowd.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Buy buy buy... Is my recommendation. I had several japs. But nothing comes close to the overall package of the duc. Just be careful with the torque and you'll be fine. Take baby steps on the corners, increase the speed as you get comfortable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The issue is comfort and what you are going to use the bike for. As a 39+ year old, this bike is no fun in traffic. I plot my escape from the city based on the least number of lights. I'm taking it to the track where I am sure it will be more fun. There are really to few roads were I live to justify the pain and agony needed to get the bike out of the city. That said, if I was going to pick a bike to ride down to a restaurant etc., I'll jump on my GS and accept the fact that I am old(er).

Just make sure you sit on one and decide if the riding position is going to fit your intended use. It is an extreme ride, which is not a bad thing but you need to know what you are buying.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Your title is misleading...the Jap bikes are superbikes as well....so you already have had the experience. It should b emore like educate eme on the riding experience of a v twin vs a v4

·
Registered
122 Posts
suryad said:
Your title is misleading...the Jap bikes are superbikes as well....so you already have had the experience. It should b emore like educate eme on the riding experience of a v twin vs a v4
I think what he is saying is he is coming from a 600 class to a superbike liter class. Big difference in HP. And an in-line 4 not a v4. Big difference there as well.

At any rate your transition has as much to do with your time in the saddle as it does with cc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
suryad said:
superbike = 74X/916/99X/1098 hence the SBK..

·
Registered
75 Posts
We're almost the same age (I'm 37), and I went from an '05 CBR600RR to my 1098, which has 625 miles on it. The 1098 is presently getting its first service and undergoing a full Termi install, so I can't say I've had an opportunity to ride it hard yet.

My CBR has been at the dealership since I picked up the 1098 last Thursday, and today I rode it back to work when I left the 1098, so I've had an opportunity today to make a few comparisons between the two bikes:

(1) The CBR is more compact bars to seat. Reach to the grips is less of a stretch, and it's easier to sit almost upright with both hands on the bars.

(2) The I-4 width means my legs are splayed out to the side to a more significant degree, whereas with the 1098 you can really get tucked in under the tank to a degree not possible on the CBR. I found I didn't like the wide Honda seating position very much anymore after having ridden the 1098 all weekend.

(3) Hydraulic clutch operation is very smooth. I have an STM clutch slave, so the pull is considerably easier than stock -- this is a worthwhile investment if you're going to sit in traffic. The CBR clutch is fine, but it feels like it's cable actuated by way of comparison.

(4) Engine braking on the Duc is fun and really helps set the bike up for turns. It was a blast blipping the throttle, and downshifting prior to entering turns in the mountains this weekend, and then just rolling on throttle through the turn and exit.

(5) The Honda steering is extremely responsive -- the wheelbase feels much shorter/more compact. It's an excellent handling bike, so I can't fault it because it's never unpredicable. But the Duc feels a bit more forgiving once you take a line, as it seems to require a bit more conscious effort to change said line so my amateurish fidgeting around seemed to do less to upset the chassis. At the same time, the 1098 never feels heavy or sluggish in the least -- where you point it, it will go. In a related vein, the Super Corsas are confidence inspiring -- they felt completely planted all the time, moreso than the CBR's OEM Dunlops or the Metzeler M1s on the CBR now. Of course, they're unlikely to survive beyond 2000 miles whereas both of the aforementioned tires made it almost 4,000 miles for me.

(6) Turning at the stops on the 1098 has my hands hitting the fairings such that managing the controls is somewhat awkward -- watch out when performing lowspeed U-turns and the like.

(7) The CBR has excellent brakes, but the 1098 brakes require only a couple fingers to achieve the same effect, and are just as linear and easy to modulate.

(8) Even breaking in the motor at under 6k RPM, the 1098 has great roll-on power. You don't have to downshift in order to build up enough steam to get moving.

(9) Completely subjectively, the 1098 sounds awesome even with the stock exhaust. Riding it as a much more satisfying experience emotionally. :)

Overall, I don't feel like the transition was a big deal. But it would be fun to A/B comparison these two machines in the mountains some weekend and see which I think is better at carving through turns. But the Duc is pretty confidence inspiring in my opinion -- again, I think it's because it takes a bit more effort to upset it once you've decided upon a line.

Riding the CBR home today, it felt somewhat toy-like compared to the 1098. In a sense I'm a little sad the Honda doesn't feel as awesome as it did before I got the 1098 because it's been an awesome machine for me over the past couple years. I guess that'll make it that much easier to sell....

Hope that gives you some perspective on the awesome 1098!

1098WI said:
Hi all,

Thanks all!

·
Registered
131 Posts
i can tell you this, The 1098 is an awe inspiring machine! the transition as far as comfort and handling was not a tough one for me, my last bike was a Triumph 675. Both bikes have a high seat hieght, are very slender and have linear power curves. The big difference being the absolutely obscene and frightening power the 1098 makes. I have not even come close to wringing this bike out and allready feels as if i can barely hang on to it! about the only negitive thing i could say about the 1098 is that the fit and finish are sorely lacking when compared with the 675, the paint on the Triumph seems to have miles of clear coat and the welds are stack of dimes perfect. The 1098 ive now had 2 tanks and tail sections in an attempt to get one with no glaring paint flaws and it has been in vain, the paint is thin and has an abundance of swirls and other flaws, the tail section where the intake vents are has little bumps and lumps in the seams like dirt and debrit got in there and were just painted over, and there are spots where the paint has peeled and this is on both sets!! both fresh from the factory! and the welds on the frame and swing arm look like gobs of molten metal, however all in all the bike is so spectacular in every other area that i being extreamly anal about such things can overlook and deal with these flaws. And as far as the Honda goes this bike is in a whole other league, the honda is im sure a nice motorcycle but the Ducati is a work of art. Its sort of like comparing a Honda S2000 to a Ferrari Modena, the Honda is quick and does its job well, but pales in comparison to the Ferrari's raw and visceral power and the Modena does its job with soul stirring passion and beauty a Honda could never hope to match. Of course thats just my un-impeachable opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Expectations

1098WI said:
I am coming from a Honda CBR600RR, and am wondering what I can expect.
You can expect a higher top speed, faster acceleration, better breaking, and lots more people checking out your ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts