Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to determine if my issue is related to my voltage regulator.
Here's a couple videos of the headlight cutting out:

First video it flickers the whole time and then cuts out entirely at 45 seconds

second video the lights cuts out after I come to a stop and blip the throttle (at the end)

Then I hooked it up to my oscilloscope at home and here's the output:
https://imgur.com/a/KQr8FeZ

What are your thoughts? Grounding issue? Battery Issue? Regulator Issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to take a look. I agree that the lights going out could be associated with that, but does that also explain why the voltage spikes to 16 volts?

I read in another post here, https://www.ducati.org/forums/how-tos/96625-electrical-issues-upgrade-your-1x98-848-voltage-regulator.html , that these are the symptoms of a failed regulator.

Symptoms of a failing voltage regulator include:
1) High (>14.8V) or Low (<13.0V) charging voltage when the engine is running
2) Flickering dashboard screen/instrument panel
3) Dashboard shuts off at certain RPMs
3) Dead battery that was otherwise new/healthy
4) Headlights/Tailight shutting off randomly at certain RPMs

I'm trying to work with the dealer where I got my bike to get this fixed and they're pretty sure it's not the regulator, I'm just not sure why when the symptoms listed above seem to align with a R/R issue.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The lights are pulling 60 watts. A loose connection intermittently disconnects the load and you get an associated momentary voltage spike. Your voltage level is fine. Lights and dashboard shutting off intermittently is more likely a sign of a loose connection and not an common indicator of a failing RR. It's not your voltage regulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer cleaned the terminals and replaced the battery twice. They're checking it now for grounding issues in other parts of the bike.

Looking around the forum it seemed like the Voltage Regulator failure was a common issue so that's what initially led me down that path.

I still don't think the regulator should be capable of producing 16 volts in normal operation. Voltage regulators are fast and should be capable of dissipating the extra voltage as heat.

I'll be sure to update the post once the dealer finds the cause. And thanks for taking the time to watch the video and weigh in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As promised, after replacing the battery and reinforcing the grounds it didn't resolve the issue. They replaced the voltage regulator and the issue went away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts