Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard or dealt with this issue at hand? My motor supposedly blew at 5,600 miles.. Just had sprague clutch, starter, and dry clutch done! Not to happy with my first Ducati

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what caused it.. But luckily me being a skilled rider I didn't dump it,I was doing 100 mph bike started shaking and locked up and shut down! I'm FUCKING PISSED OWE 8k on it

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
So this is confusing. You say it supposedly 'blew'. Does that mean you have been told that but can't confirm it? What do you mean by 'blew'? What has actually blown.
If there has been recent work done is there not a possibility that a lack of care on that job could have caused the issue you have now?
No idea what that issue is of course, without details. Blown engine covers a multitude of things that could have gone wrong. Needs narrowing down a little more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bike is at the shop that did the work for me.. The nearest ducati dealership is 1:15 away from me, I'll be bringing it there for second opinion.. The bike locked up on me on the highway.. Place picked the bike up from me this morning, called me and there's shavings and the rod dropped. Seems fishy to me but I'll be getting a second opinion asap

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Yep, sounds like a rod bearing. Had the bike been laid down on the left side while running?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Trade in will suck on a bike with a blown engine, I'd try looking on ebay for a used engine. I've found a ton of spare engines on there for my bike (848 EVO) for a reasonable price. When you get it have a good mechanic give it the once over and drop her back in. Best of luck, I hope you're able to get back on the road soon!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
As far as I know it was never laid down.. So options are? Rebuild? Find a used motor? Trade it in?
Used motors are a crapshoot. For sure the cheaper option because you won't need any special tools or know-how. Swapping the motors is a piece of cake, where the rebuild can be a pain in the ass and very expensive if you mess it up.

I'd love to know what happened to the old motor. Its generally pretty easy to tell via the oil and cracking the cases open to see what damaged happened.

What bike and year is it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Belts were never changed. Guy had the bike in garage unregistered for. 3 yrs covered in wood dust. Have records from ducati shop in Boston where work was done from previous owner.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
As far as I know it was never laid down.. So options are? Rebuild? Find a used motor? Trade it in?

I am guessing laid down, or some other oil pressure related abuse. The 1198 is a third generation motor and as a street bike, very reliable. Of course, racing/wrecking them is a different scenario.
Buying a used motor, intelligently, is an effective solution, as the rebuild on yours, depending on the condition of the crank, cases, etc. will be huge to my wallet.
I have successfully bought motors off Ebay. but you have to be smart. The last one I bought was guaranteed by the seller, upon delivery I pulled the oil filter, drain out 2 ounces of oil, sent the oil to Blackstone Labs in Indiana for analysis, ($25),
boom!! test/analysis was perfect, no wear, no problems, actually the motor appeared, physically, to be very low mileage. Put it in the frame, fitted all the parts, boom! perfect. Started right up, ran like new, etc.etc. If you own the right tools the change is an easy, but thoughtful event. Actually quite a pleasure to accomplish. Also bought another motor, a aircooled 1100 evo motor, also an unqualified success. So yes, smart shopping on ebay, as well as other used avenues are well worth the time and energy, but again, proceed with utmost caution, there is a lot of junk out there and,.... and bad advice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts