Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good place to take my 848 engine for blueprinting in the L.A. area or vicinity?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I always sent my heads out to Ben Fox, he's the Ducati head expert and has everything you need in stock. I'd replace the guides with beryllium/copper ones and have him re-do the valve seats. He can also install MBP collets, which on that motor isn't a bad idea.

I'd also have Ben do the crank and rod's. I used carrillo's and CP high comp pistons on my 848. I also TiN coated the area where the rods attach to the crank, this helps with longevity. The whole assembly comes back from Ben balanced and ready to put in the motor. The only thing which needs to be done is to literally assemble the motor, which honestly, isn't a big deal if you take it apart and label everything. All you need is a bench to split the cases on and a few special tools. Ben can even mark the cam's at TDC, so all you've gotta do is thread the belts to his marks and be good to go.

Most people will charge a lot of money to do this work and wind up sending the crank and heads to Ben Fox anyway since he is the go-to guy. I'd be scared for someone else to do the work, Ducati's have their own ways of things being done and thats why you go to someone like Ben or Mark Sutton @ The Duc Shop. Though Mark charges $4k - $5k to build a motor! EEK!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Tye, you forgot to mention that one of the most critical parts @ assembly is to preload the crank/trans, set squish and dial the cams...otherwise all that money and effort will be thrown to the trash....

You can find people that will diss/ass the motor for $600 plus whatever fox charges and parts....is not that expensive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I recommend one guy: Neil Freeman at SBK Corse in Laguna Hills. SBKCORSE

He worked at Ducati Corse in Bologna for 3 years building their WSBK motors. Also was Jamie Hackings crew chief.

You won't find a more knowledgable mechanic...guaranteed

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Tye, you forgot to mention that one of the most critical parts @ assembly is to preload the crank/trans, set squish and dial the cams...otherwise all that money and effort will be thrown to the trash....
Absolutely. However, its not rocket science and its not difficult either. Yep, its nice to have the right tools AND the know-how, thats for sure. But I've met a lot of people over the years that didn't know jack about motors and were able to build their own motors with the assistance from guys like Ben via the telephone.

You can find people that will diss/ass the motor for $600 plus whatever fox charges and parts....is not that expensive.
Yep, disassembly/re-assembly people are cheap.

However, Ducati specific re-assembly people aren't cheap. That whole cam dialing example is good and I agree, that part should be done by a pro. But its very easy to assemble the motor and then time the cams later before you put it in the bike.

I got some help from a master tech locally in LA when I built my 848 motor. I wanted to use my 749R transmission since it was a corse box. So I paid a tech to figure out how to make it work and re-assemble the motor with me over the course of a day. It was money well spent and together it was a fun project. Without him, I for sure would have needed someone to do the cam timing. But he had the tools and it was a piece of cake. ;)

I think $600 bux is very unrealistic. Maybe $2000, but as I said earlier, Mark charges $5k minimal.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys.
I'll call and get an estimate. $5k seems a bit high.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely. However, its not rocket science and its not difficult either. Yep, its nice to have the right tools AND the know-how, thats for sure. But I've met a lot of people over the years that didn't know jack about motors and were able to build their own motors with the assistance from guys like Ben via the telephone.

Yep, disassembly/re-assembly people are cheap.

However, Ducati specific re-assembly people aren't cheap. That whole cam dialing example is good and I agree, that part should be done by a pro. But its very easy to assemble the motor and then time the cams later before you put it in the bike.

I got some help from a master tech locally in LA when I built my 848 motor. I wanted to use my 749R transmission since it was a corse box. So I paid a tech to figure out how to make it work and re-assemble the motor with me over the course of a day. It was money well spent and together it was a fun project. Without him, I for sure would have needed someone to do the cam timing. But he had the tools and it was a piece of cake. ;)

I think $600 bux is very unrealistic. Maybe $2000, but as I said earlier, Mark charges $5k minimal.
Who's your "master tech locally in LA" that can help me disassemble the motor?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Who's your "master tech locally in LA" that can help me disassemble the motor?
He won't do it. I knew the owner of the shop he worked at and he was released to work on my project on the weekend at home. Plus, he just had a kid and is super busy at work, so he doesn't have the time.

I like the Neil Freeman idea, that sounds like the best deal to me.

In terms of the pricing, I think you can find someone local to do it for $2k. Mark's $5k includes his magic touch! :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
On another note, if the thing is running right, why blueprint it? That's a lot of $$$ to spend. Remember the most important thing to improve your lap times is...wait for it......

The guy sitting on the bike :)

on my bone stock POS 848 w/o tirewarmers I was able to do a consistent 1:40 at Fontana a few months back. All I did was tape up the mirrors lights, etc. lol

If it works, don't fix it!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On another note, if the thing is running right, why blueprint it? That's a lot of $$$ to spend. Remember the most important thing to improve your lap times is...wait for it......

The guy sitting on the bike :)

on my bone stock POS 848 w/o tirewarmers I was able to do a consistent 1:40 at Fontana a few months back. All I did was tape up the mirrors lights, etc. lol

If it works, don't fix it!
Well... I'm already doing 1:39s at Fontana with the bike as is.
Since I've been racing the same bike for 2 years now, I want to have the right contacts locally in case I need to rebuild the motor fast.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Building a track specific motor is a good idea for anyone looking to race. So you do MORE then just blueprinting, its actually using aftermarket components and building the motor to be MORE then it was out of the box.

My stock 848 produced 125rwhp (with full exhaust) and after the build 130rwhp using the same exhaust and dyno. Its not about power output either, its about reliability and making sure the motor will survive the rigors of racing. This is why I TiN coated the crank, why we swapped out the guides and seats for materials which don't fall apart so easily. This is why we balanced and lightened the crank. This is why we put in lighter/stronger rods and updated pistons.

At the end of 2009, right before I retired my 749R from service, I was doing 34's at Fontana on old, used take-off slicks. So it has nothing to do with power and everything to do with suspension/tires and being a quick rider. My 848 was a great bike when I was done, quicker and lighter then my 749R. But I built it to be that way, it was a lot of hard work, two months of never-ending headaches and dealing with vendors. You can make the 848 one hell of a good racer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with tye1138. Building the motor for racing is a good idea no matter what.
34s at Fontana is impressive on an 848. What time were you doing at Big Willow, Tye?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Well I'm workin on breaking 1.50s at Fontana so I'll be lookin for you folks this spring! Can't wait to get some tips!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Tye, you finished 22nd outta 24 entries at Fontucky back in 09'...not like this is a **** swinging contest, but a 1:34 is wishful thinking....

WERA Motorcyle Road Racing :: Racers :: v2013n1x2 ::

LMAO..... that's a shocker back to reality and how much bull is going on with some of this know it all experts.

And for the $600.....is reality also....dont beat around the bush....

Tye, if you know what your doing the most important tool to blueprint a duc engine is brains....and a dial gauge....pretty inexpensive and priceless @ the same time.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts