Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1299s with 1800km, after 45 minutes of ride and after refuel, the engine doesn't start! Only the board and ligths work, after few minutes appears ENGINE in red, I tried in neutral and nothing, I tried with the clutch and first wear and kickstand rise and nothing happens, anyone know what happened? The last engine temperature was 110°C.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
.. after few minutes appears ENGINE in red, I tried in neutral and nothing, I tried with the clutch and first wear and kickstand rise and nothing happens, anyone know what happened? The last engine temperature was 110°C.
"ENGINE in red" is the check engine light, commonly known as the CEL.

Are they any error messages lit on the dash beside the CEL?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My bike had a similar issue. While driving low speed or stopped at a light the engine would shut off and check engine light would turn on. When I cycle the key the check engine light would come on and the bike would crank crank but not start. If I let the bike sit 10 to 15 minutes then turn the key the engine light would be off and the bike would fire right up. The highest temp I ever saw was 216f. To duplicate it I realized it was only occurring during 20 minutes of lower speed and stop and go driving. Hot soak all the electronics basically.The dealer took 2 months to fix it. It turned out to be a defective ecu. The codes pulled from the ecu were generic rom errors. Maybe the 1299 they pulled the ecu from to test on my bike never got put back haha. Did buy yours in Orlando?

Ps the vapor canister has been off the bike since day one of owning it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hot soak all the electronics basically.The dealer took 2 months to fix it. It turned out to be a defective ecu. The codes pulled from the ecu were generic rom errors.
Did your dealership provide details about the defective ECU? ..

More importantly, how can we prevent the electronics from getting heat soaked? :wtf:

·
Registered
49 Posts
The hot soak is not the issue since the electronics are hopefully designed for those conditions but the feeling was a defective solder or connection in the ECU that got worse with heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.