Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see other people's inputs from experience and actual examples that they've seen or heard of, regarding how long modern Ducati engines last in track/race bikes, specifically for 1098/1198 since that's what I have, but I'd like to know overall what the consensus is. Reason I ask is because my biggest worry that I have is that my engine will take a dump all of a sudden on the track which will pretty much be the end of it for a while, since I wouldn't be able to spit out $3k+ for another engine or a full engine rebuild.

I've been told that 3-4k track miles is a quite a bit for these engines to go without being rebuilt. Seems scary if it's true, which is why I'm worried, because my bike has 6k miles out of which more than half are track miles.

Not looking for opinions on this one...I'm looking for actual examples, or personal experiences you guys might have.

Tye need not reply (based on Tchase's 848 engine still running, I'd say you lost credibility long ago....plus I don't want thread to get locked in a couple of days).

Reactions: Tchase and 219R

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine was built by Matt Carr at Ducati Indianapolis. Very aggressive head and motor combo on m109. I put 4,200 track/race miles on it last season. This year had everything checked. Only needed belts and fuel pump. Valves checked good no blow by etc. very strong motor!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Dreading the day mine pops. I'd say I'm WELL over the 4k track miles on a basically stock motor after 3 yrs of tracking. Just did belts, and valves are all within tolerences. But actual hard parts of the motor.....I'm sure it's Day of Destruction is approaching.

Just as long as it's after Labor Day this year. :)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dreading the day mine pops. I'd say I'm WELL over the 4k track miles on a basically stock motor after 3 yrs of tracking. Just did belts, and valves are all within tolerences. But actual hard parts of the motor.....I'm sure it's Day of Destruction is approaching.

Just as long as it's after Labor Day this year. :)
Plus you have another 20k+ street miles

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
In large part engine longevity is the rider's responsibility. Over revving, hitting the rev limiter, downshifting @ very high rpms, etc.... also not keeping up with motor maintenance,.. contribute to the life span of a particular motor... not to mention improper adjustments/modifications. In addition, one of the most frequent reasons for engine demise is crashing, low siding, a bike such that the bike/motor lays on it's right side while running. This positively starves the oil lubrication to the rod bearing causing accelerated failure. It is a very good idea to add a "tip over" kill switch to your electronic package. I have been tracking/racing my bike for seven years, the only failures/problems I have encountered is a bent shift fork in my 2008 OEM 1098R transmission. (never had another problem with the stock parts). I also had an 848 motor which had been crashed/low sided THREE times finally spin a rod bearing, after I missed a shift @ RA, grossly over revving the super high mileage motor!!!!..... now I have a 848 EBAY motor in my race bike which has done very well, even after the first weekend of racing, the oil analysis by Blackstone Labs revealed no issues!!! Very good news...
I might add that due to budget concerns I have/do exercise restraint to abusing my motor. (whenever possible maximizing my gear ratios to keep from over rev situations) Also, I usually "short shift" when not in the heat of battle during the race!!!
Yes,... I try to race on a budget.....just sayin.....

·
Registered
364 Posts
A racing buddy of mine had a 1098 with the nemesis ECU, and he raised his redline. Last race of the year his motor blew and he coasted into the pits. Concensus was the main/ rod bearings failed as it wouldn't even turn over in the pits. Now he did admit that he should have done more mods to protect the engine. The newer 1198 models (I've heard) have a more robust bottom end and after a full season, 1200 miles of racing, my motor still appears great. I have never over-revved it or bounced it off the rev limiter purposely. It would be good to get more input from others THAT have raced theses bikes to hear of tear down reports and longevity.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
One side note… speed dictates reliability. Hitting the rev limiter, maybe going over the limit on downshifts by accident, these are things fast guys do as they attempt to get every ounce out of their bikes. So it's VERY hard to gather information on an internet forum without top expert class racers. One important thing to think about when discussing, a lot of guys buy used bikes to race and don't know the condition of the engine, then when it blows up complain about it.

If you wish to truly find out this information without bias, my suggestion would be to make a post on WERA or BARF forms. There you'll find LOTS of top Ducati champions, eager to tell you their stories of championship winning Ducati's, without the bias approach seen on brand-specific forums.

P.S. I haven't had a single issue with any of the 1098/1198's I've built. So I have no more data to add until one of them blows up. Which I doubt they will because the owners baby the bikes and never crash.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
[
Tye need not reply (based on Tchase's 848 engine still running, I'd say you lost credibility long ago....plus I don't want thread to get locked in a couple of days).[/QUOTE]

Like waving a red flag in front of a bull....shiter...
.....just sayin...:shrug:

Reactions: rubbish

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'd like to think that I'm not too hard on the engine from the way I ride (relatively speaking), but then again, I've had quite a few mis-shifts (especially last year) so the bike has seen the rev limiter on multiple occasions :/...i also weigh like 220+ lbs, so more load on the bike, if that makes a bit of difference :eek:

My engine was brand new, since I'm the only owner. I've crashed twice and both times the bike shut off right away luckily. As far as maintenance, i've had belts changed less than 2 years ago (have only put about 1000-1500 miles since then), and a whole bunch of oil changes, but that's it. Haven't checked valves yet, but like I said I only have about 6k miles.

I've also heard the 1198 engines seem to be a bit more robust than the 1098s and even the 848s but not sure how true that is...not like there's really a way to compare, aside from pure statistics, but that's not something that's really well documented and published....hence I'm asking for members' experiences on a Ducati forum ;)

Reactions: 219R and Planepower

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would get it refreshed.....less to worry about......and less $$$ than a new engine.....plus it will go better......

I've just done my ZX10 after 5K 100% track miles......

In Italy last year my friends 1198r went......dropped something.....he came walking back with a sick look on his face......

If you get the right guy on it.....it will be better than when rolled out of the factory......

·
Registered
129 Posts
An Italian track bike can be expensive but it's just the luck of the draw if yours is the one to break a crank case or something fails and it blows up. All you can do is service to track time and try not to flog it quite as hard as you would if using a bullet proof Jap model. Only take to the track what you can afford to take home in a box.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only take to the track what you can afford to take home in a box.
In a perfect world yes, but things don't quite always work out that way ;)

I've already taken it home "in a box"...can't do it again, especially if it's due to engine failure. The other stuff I'm not as worried about...I got spares for the main stuff that breaks (like in crashes)...don't have a spare engine though :(

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Impossible for me to know, I'm about to roll 29k miles on my 2012. The original engine blew up at the track but I still believe had I checked the belts I would of been fine. I'm well over 4500 miles on the 2008 engine. First track day is fathers day I plan to go 6 times this year at a minimum so I will report back :)

Rub you could always put an 848 eBay motor in for 1500-2500, and yes the eBay 1198 run over 3k. I'm watching several engines and will jump on one for 1500. I'm still waiting on my tool for my rebuild which I believe will end up costing me 2500-3000 to finish tool cost included.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts