Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I'm starting my search for an EM system for my 2015 899. Not looking for power; rather a smoother distribution of what I already have.

If I can put together the cash, I'd love to do a full Termi or Akprov exhaust as well. Engine management is my first priority though.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
899 not smooth enough??? You should try some of the previous generation Ducatis! Then you'll realize just how "butter-smooth" the 899 is! lol

I'm pretty sure you can just upload a different fueling map on the stock ECU which can help and save you a lot of money from buying aftermarket ECU. Not even sure if the popular brands like Microtec or Nemesis have anything for the 899. I know Magnetti-Marreli does but it's more than just an ECU. It does literally everything and then some, and costs as much as a new 899 so you probably don't want that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the slow reply..

The 899 is my first bike. I suppose I don't really know what i'm talking about though. My goal is to improve the low rpm smoothness, as well as the jerkiness I feel when rolling off sometimes (although that may not be related to the mapping)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply..

The 899 is my first bike. I suppose I don't really know what i'm talking about though. My goal is to improve the low rpm smoothness, as well as the jerkiness I feel when rolling off sometimes (although that may not be related to the mapping)
Wow, hell of a bike for a first! Not what most people would recommend, but too late now.

The low rpm roughness is typical of Ducatis, but again, the Panigales have come a long way compared to previous generations, and it's much smoother. It can be further improved with an ECU flash (re-map, which takes away some of the restrictions set to make the EPA happy). Going -1T on the front sprocket will also help make the bike smoother at low speeds. You'll basically be going at slightly higher rpm to go the same speed, but Ducatis are typically smoother above 4k rpm (depending on the model).

The jerkiness when you roll off the throttle is also typical Ducatis and any bike with a big V-twin. They have a lot of engine braking. Unlike its big brother, the 899 doesn't have a slipper clutch if I remember correctly. So that can be improved upon by getting a slipper clutch. I don't know if the 899 has EBC or not. I know the 1199 and 1299 do, which can be adjusted so it's more or less brutal when you engine brake.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I'm in the minority I just feather the clutch and there is no roughness. I keep telling my self leaving the gearing stock tooth wise gives me the middle ground and works for street/track. But now that I've invested in a quick change carrier I'm sure at the track I'll graduate to trying something different (baby steps for me). Roll off jerkyness or rear skid you will learn to be in the right gear. But admittedly I do a lot of clutch work.

Ok I'm bias I own an 848 and test road a 899 and I'm not so sure it's the old Ducati is that way. But the 899 seemed twitchy as hell and very hard for me to find a position that I could naturally/comfortably conform to the bike. I was tired after a 45 minute ride (never had this problem on my 848 even bone stock).

Our old friend might be right Rub, the trellis frame has its place. Having said that I really like the looks of the 899 with the exception of the dssa the frameless doesn't bother me at all (esthetically) its still a great looking Ducati.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I'm in the minority I just feather the clutch and there is no roughness. I keep telling my self leaving the gearing stock tooth wise gives me the middle ground and works for street/track. But now that I've invested in a quick change carrier I'm sure at the track I'll graduate to trying something different (baby steps for me). Roll off jerkyness or rear skid you will learn to be in the right gear. But admittedly I do a lot of clutch work.

Ok I'm bias I own an 848 and test road a 899 and I'm not so sure it's the old Ducati is that way. But the 899 seemed twitchy as hell and very hard for me to find a position that I could naturally/comfortably conform to the bike. I was tired after a 45 minute ride (never had this problem on my 848 even bone stock).

Our old friend might be right Rub, the trellis frame has its place. Having said that I really like the looks of the 899 with the exception of the dssa the frameless doesn't bother me at all (esthetically) its still a great looking Ducati.
I don't think the trellis frame has anything to do with comfort. I can't say from personal experience as I haven't done that long of a ride on a panigale. Just a 10-minute street ride on an 1199 and a 10-minute track session on a 1299S. Can't say that I found them to be very comfy, but neither was my 1198. Neither is any Ducati superbike for that matter. They're not meant for comfort.

Oh and it's "aesthetically"...hope you feel better now ;)

Reactions: Tchase

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I don't think the trellis frame has anything to do with comfort. I can't say from personal experience as I haven't done that long of a ride on a panigale. Just a 10-minute street ride on an 1199 and a 10-minute track session on a 1299S. Can't say that I found them to be very comfy, but neither was my 1198. Neither is any Ducati superbike for that matter. They're not meant for comfort.

Oh and it's "aesthetically"...hope you feel better now ;)

Thanks for looking out for me 🙃

I'm going to stick to my guns something is very different between the 848 and 899 and it's not the technology. But like I said I'm the odd ball I can do as many miles on the 848 as any bike and have comfort all things considered.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Thanks for looking out for me 🙃

I'm going to stick to my guns something is very different between the 848 and 899 and it's not the technology. But like I said I'm the odd ball I can do as many miles on the 848 as any bike and have comfort all things considered.
Not really an oddball, there are quite a few people who would agree. For me, when I'm on a sport bike, any sport bike, I simply don't have the expectations of being comfortable, so I'm not going to judge it as such. I've done somewhat lengthier rides on mine, and my only complaint was my hands would go numb, especially the right hand, because of the vibrations in the bars. Aside from that I can't say I've ever been tired from riding. The longest I've ridden in a day was about 4 hours or so, with a quick break in the middle. But I know someone that rode from here in good old Nebraska all the way down to Texas in 1 day. I think it was about a 13-hour ride....on an 848!

If I ever get a street bike again, it will be a monster or something alike. No more sport bikes (supersport/superbikes) for me. I'll save those for the track.

·
Registered
378 Posts
There are several ECU solutions which make improvements, but the key is addressing the Closed Loop strategy, as the 14.7 AFR that's good for emissions causes jerkiness.

Solutions include ECU's and flashes that eliminate the stock narrow band closed loop, or perhaps there's a band-aid O2 controller that fools it into running at 13.8 to 14.0 which is a little closer to where it should be, but approaching the limits of the narowband sensors.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Shouldn't he be looking to be close to 13-1 AFR?
Perhaps, but read my post carefully, and let me clarify... we are talking about a jerky throttle and on a warmed up engine with stock ECU this is in the realm of closed loop narrow band O2 sensor controlling idle and lower RPM and little or no thorttle opening... or in other words, mostly low operating speeds and cruising. Full power is open loop.

But if you remove the closed loop strategy from the stock ECU (most of us remove it with a flash or ECU swap or race ECU, etc), then I would use 13.6 or so just at idle, and 13.2 at higher RPM's with the throttle plates closed or near closed (still closed loop with stock ECU)... this is the area where there's jerkyness. Other people have different ideas, this is how I solve the issue.

If running a stock ECU, and all you seek is to smooth out the jerkyness mentioned (doesn't bother most people too much)... then a narrowband O2 controller may be effective to about 13.8 or 14.0. (from a leaner 14.8) richer than that and they don't work, you need a wideband and that's a whole different deal of course.

AFR at full power would be richer... 12.8 to 13.0 area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.