Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my 2004 Ducati 749 dark for only about 4 months. I'm the second owner, and I started noticing a burning smell last week.

I saw some smoke in my headlamp when I came home at night, but didn't do anything about it yet. I just replaced the headlights and didn't know if it had to do with that or my exhaust.

Then today, I came to a stop and a big puff of smoke came out from the right side near the engine and I noticed a few drops of oil underneath the engine.

So when I got home, I pulled off the right fairing, and it had some oil on the crank case, and there are two spots where oil is dripping onto the exhaust pipe. The two drips are on either end of the bottom flat portion of the case, so it is either coming from there, or it is dripping down to that point and falling off.

When I look at the seam in the case, it has a grey bead that seems to be falling off. Maybe silicone sealant or something. I'll put some red arrows to these areas in the attached photos.

What do you think this all means? Did the previous owner have to re-seal the case, or is that maybe that the OEM seal coming off?

I'm terrified to take this in because I'm afraid the dealership is going to charge me like crazy to fix this.

I just want to educate myself on this issue. Are there any other options I can try? The engine oil level seems okay for now, but if I don't fix it I'll probably have bigger issues later.

BTW, these photos were taken right after I tried cleaning it up with a degreaser.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
That is the 3bond used at assembly. Some squishes out...these parts have no gaskets between them. And, going by the pics its doubtful the motor was split afterwards. Clean it, ride it and look carefully for the source of the oil. Make sure your oil filter has only one gasket on it and is tight. Sometimes the old gasket will stick to the case and the guy didn't look up there before installing the new filter Oil drain plug needs a new crush washer every time too

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good to hear the 3bond is an OEM thing. I was worried about that.

I'll get back to working on it later this week. I found this video helpful too (
) , definitely need to find a good amount of time for this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it would be more likely the oil fill cap not being tight enough or the oil filter, internal filter cap, drain plug or incorrect torque on clutch cover bolts. Try the oil filler cap first then the drain plug, you are supposed to replace the washer on the drain plug every other oil change, same with the internal filter cap washer. Baby powder will tell you where its coming from, dust a little on and follow the trail. I once had a loose oil pressure sensor on a Ducati spit out oil everywhere so while you are at it you might check that to. Its supposed to be about 40nm, I can get you exact spec if needed for all those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts