Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I'm looking to buy a 2011 November registered Monster 696 which has just 4000miles on the clock.

I've previously owned a CBR250R, G650GS & a K1200GT and have absolutely no experience with Ducatis..

There is an interesting fixed frequency knocking sound coming from the engine, which does pretty much sound like a pendulum and couldn't be sure whether this is the normal engine sound of 696 bikes or is something wrong with it. I've checked a few videos on youtube but still not sure :)

The recording of the bike in question is available at
The exhaust sound is quite dominant in the recording but with a little bit of a focus it's easy to start hearing the sound I'm talking about which is kind of in the background.. Halfway into the recording I'm moving over to the other side of the bike during which the only exhaust sound is audible so might help with distinguishing between the engine sound & exhaust sound.

Also noticed that there is quite a little too much vibration on the pegs and handles, again not having ridden one before not sure if this is normal or not.. It was definitely more than the CBR250R and K1200GT I owned earlier but kind of similar (though a bit more) than the G650GS.

Finally, the rear disk & pads where replaced 3 months ago after which the bike was ridden only for about 600miles but there is a squeaking sound coming from the rear brakes which didn't make any sense to me?

I would appreciate all comments, thanks in advance..

Cheers!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi

I have a 2013 - 696 and I can honestly say that since I got it , 61 miles on the clock , now 4300 ish
it has never had that knocking sound , but sorry to say I don't know what might be causing it , I would suggest that you look at another one to compare

·
Registered
270 Posts
her is a distinct rattle/clunk I have noticed from these motors at idle in neutral that I found unnerving until I heard it on a number of bikes. It's a popular bike, you should run by a local dealer or bike hang out and listen to another one in person. Beyond that, use an automotive stethoscope to locate the source area of the noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts