Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and only quickly skimmed the rules. Please forgive me if I seem to have broken some.

To the point: I am the proud owner of a 1996 ducati Monster 600. It's my first bike. The previous owner has mistreated it horribly. Most of it I have repaired by now. The only problem now is the engine. Stationary the rpm goes up way too high and starting her up is often a problem. Without revving a bit every few seconds she just stalls and I have to start again. I have an oil leak coming from one of the cylinders that is dripping down the engine. Not a significant leak but a leak still. The engine has 44XXXkm on it. My question here being would it be worth having fixed as I have just found a fairly priced 2001 engine with 24XXX miles on it. The owner says it is in good shape. So the follow up question here is would this engine fit? Can anyone with some experience help me out before I purchase the engine.

Sorry for being lengthy!

·
Registered
268 Posts
The chassis for the first generation (pre- 696/796/1100) are the same, so the motor will swap in, but wiring harness/ ecu would be the only variant I can think of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Assuming the 2001 motor you're looking at is carburetted, the motor will swap just fine, the wiring harnesses are also "plug n play". The only somewhat significant hurdle is the motor mount bolts went from 10mm to 12mm in 01. So you'd need to use some sort of shim in the frame mounting bosses to take up the extra slack. When I did this swap I used nylon tube spacers. Others have sorted through the copper pipe at the hardware store, supposedly 12mm copper pipe has an I.D of 10mm, so a short length of this pipe sleeved over the end of the bolt does the trick.

You would be better off tho just sourcing the correct pre 01 carby motor either 600/750/or 900. 750 motors in good condition are a dime o dozen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello once again!

First off thanks for the advice. Now on to the story...
I decided not to go with the engine swap after the local mechanic told me there were no major problems and the leak could be fixed. After relacing belts, chain, sprockets and rubbers they found there was compression loss. After 3 weeks of them working on it they said it was a piston related problem. They sent out the bike to another mechanic for a dyno run. They should have noticed the compression loss first time round but didn't. The mechanic admitted to this mistake and as compensation offered to do an engine swap. He suggested charging just the price for the engine and not charging hours of labor. The "new" engine will be supplied by their go-to supplier and has been taken off a damaged bike that had a frontal crash but seems to be intact. It would come with warranty he said. He said this was the only option besides trying to sell the bike and finding another one. I feel considering the warranty the engine swap would be the most logical step financially and considering the time I might spend without a motorcycle should I try seling and finding a different one. My question to the people here is would anyone here agree? Does anyone here have experience regarding engine swaps and warranty of the sort? I find the idea of warranty comforting but should things go wrong this will be a lot more hassle.

I've already spent close to a thousand on the work they put in on the old engine so I feel besides not charging labor I'm due some compensation. What would any of you suggest?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts