Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am riding behind these jacka$$e$ on Harley's...
20MPH because they never know how to ride.
I couldn't get around them for about 6 miles.
My temp. got to 212* then my warning light came on.

Now I have ERROR FAN 18.2

Any clues to what this means other than the fan not working?

Does the dealer have to reset the ECU?
This is the first time the bike ever broke 200*... EVER!
FU<KIN Harley's.

Just went out and checked the fans...
One spins freely...
The other not so much.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... They will cover it.
I have to take it there to be diagnossed then wait for the part to ship to TN.

I am going to wait until it gets to cold to ride the Duc.

I looked the error up in the manual and it says fan relay.
I didn't see a relay, so it must be built into the fan.

My error is 18.2 and it is my left fan.
So Error 18.1 must be the right fan.

Gotta love the manual.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
On my RC, I wired in a switch to overide the fan relay. I could run the fans when ever I wanted by switching on the relay manually or, it would still run the fans via temp sensor. Just took two wires to do it. I haven't had this bike get too hot in traffic so I haven't done it yet on this one. If you want, I could look into it.....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the first time I have ever gotten to fan temp.
I usually never go past 180*

Stupid Harley non-riders.

·
Registered
63 Posts
what temp. does the fan come on ? i think something might be wrong with my fans..no light as come on yet though..just asking

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was sitting in traffic waiting for the light when i looked down and the temp was a 230F! This bike usually runs around 210-220 because of the slow traffic. Checked the fuse it was blown changed it and it blew. i just changed the radiator so hopefully all i have to do is move it forward a bit, maybe the fans are rubbing against the throttle assy. This is ridiculous tho, my r1 never had problems like this.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I was sitting in traffic waiting for the light when i looked down and the temp was a 230F! This bike usually runs around 210-220 because of the slow traffic. Checked the fuse it was blown changed it and it blew. i just changed the radiator so hopefully all i have to do is move it forward a bit, maybe the fans are rubbing against the throttle assy. This is ridiculous tho, my r1 never had problems like this.
That is quite normal. Mine reach 230F too back in August sitting for traffic in hot day.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
This is ridiculous tho, my r1 never had problems like this.

Be glad you don't have an RC51 with the side mount rads! Before I did the fan switch overide, it would go up to 240 if I wasn't moving!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Be glad you don't have an RC51 with the side mount rads! Before I did the fan switch overide, it would go up to 240 if I wasn't moving!
That is quite normal. Mine reach 230F too back in August sitting for traffic in hot day.
i know this isnt out of the ordinary, but my fans still arent turning on, i called modesto ducati talked to clay he said make sure the throttle assy isnt rubbing. i looked at it and the fans spun freely i moved the radiator forward a few mm's im letting it get up to temp right now hopefully the fans work. that would be sweet

·
Registered
274 Posts
sweet i just moved the radiator forward maybe 2mm's to get a gap between everything now the fans work once again.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I do find 1098 as good for Fall ride, the heat from engine is nice to have and keep my legs warm:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
MikeERideWNC: I got error 18.2 and had a blown fuse once i put another fuse in the code went away. My left fan was barely touching a hose coming out of the intake airbox just try to move your radiator forward a little bit. Im going to go ride it down a few twisties to see if it doesnt shift back to were it was.

·
Registered
123 Posts
easy fix

I had the exact same thing. Throttle cable was touching the fan so it blew the fuse. I had the DUC shop fix it because I had no idea what the FAN ERROR 18.2 could have been.
MikeERideWNC: I got error 18.2 and had a blown fuse once i put another fuse in the code went away. My left fan was barely touching a hose coming out of the intake airbox just try to move your radiator forward a little bit. Im going to go ride it down a few twisties to see if it doesnt shift back to were it was.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought it was normal for 848 to go over 200.. My bike heats up to 215 practically everyday when riding in traffic. My salesman at stealership told me that this is normal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts