Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Absolutely. They will wear out eventually, but will do high miles first.

I have put them on every belt-drive Ducati I've had since the '90s. Even got them on my Cagiva Elefant (Ducati engine).

They save weight from a very beneficial area of the engine. 660g on the Testastretta engines from memory. Engine tuners have been reaping power benefits from lightening the valve train for a century or so.

They wear out quicker on the 2-valve than the 4-valves, but will still get 60 - 70,000 kms (35 - 45,000 mi). Obviously they last better if belt tension is maintained.

My 1098 ones have done most of the 78,000 kms it has covered, with no perceptible wear.

I got mine from the dealer out of the Ducati Accessory book, but they don't keep supplying them much past the manufacturing year.

I also got some lightly used 2-valve/916 ones from a member here. They occasionally come up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Desmo-Racing is the way to go.

HDESA has random clocking on their gears (although it's adjustable of course), it's 6061 not 7075, and other slight issues for which I sent them back. I'm sure it works fine, but I'd say go with Desmo-Racing's gears to minimize possible issues.

I went with RS gears on both bikes but that's not an easy way to go to just do a swap. The RS manual shows the ERGAL gears as a replacement item after 500Km, haha. But so is much of the engine and the rest at 1,000Km, so they are treated as consumables just like connecting rods and valves. :D

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have the four pulleys for the cams only, brand new, still in their boxes, if anyone wants them.
They are the Ducati Performance ones.
Don't have the lower two, as I had to use them on a job.
Make me an offer..

:)

PS. They are for the 1098/1198.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts