Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: I pre-paid for my 15k service and when I called into the dealership to schedule the service, the service rep gave me a quote higher than what we had originally discussed at the time of purchase. After a semi-heated exchange (no foul language or threats) I reached out to my sales rep and the owners of the dealership and asked if I could get my money back because the service needed to be done but that I didn't have the additional money it needed for the full 15k maintenance. My sales rep basically told me no, and that I could use the money to buy Ducati merchandise; although I would love to own more Ducati brand stuff, the truth of the matter is, I might be moving soon and I can't afford to use the money set aside for the service on anything other than the service. I emailed the owners after that and he assured me that the service would be covered with the funds that were originally financed.

Now the conversation that I had with the service rep and sales rep was not overly aggressive but I could tell they were getting frustrated with me. I gave him my VIN and all my info, so they know who I am.

Would you guys still take your bike in to be serviced at this dealership? Do you think they might try to mess something up on purpose or maybe not complete a necessary fix/adjustment out of spite?

I'm a little torn on whether I will be retaliated against for "being a PITA"..

thoughts??

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Unfortunately some people are assholes and they may do that, but that's really up to the individual...no way of knowing. The sales rep will not be doing any work on your bike, and depending how big the place is and who the service rep you talked to is, he may not do any work on the bike either. It could very well be someone that has no clue about any of this, and I highly doubt (though not necessarily true) that one of those guys would actually tell the mechanic to skip out on something important, or to purposely do something wrong. But who knows...people do some weird and ugly shit sometimes.

I try to not get caught into those situations. For one, I think the people at my local Ducati dealer are great and I consider most of them friends. Secondly, that is the only Ducati dealer in a fairly close range. I'd have to drive about 3.5 hours to get to the next one, which is not a Ducati exclusive dealer anyway as far as I know, so their technical expertise is questionable. Sometimes people make mistakes, shit happens, so unless they're purposely trying to screw you over hundreds of dollars, I don't tend to make a big deal out of nothing. I've been under-quoted before as well, but if it's like $100 or so, I'll suck it up an move on. I found that things become much easier and convenient if you're on their good side and you're a fairly loyal customer....but I guess if you plan on moving away soon, you might not really care about that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately some people are assholes and they may do that, but that's really up to the individual...no way of knowing. The sales rep will not be doing any work on your bike, and depending how big the place is and who the service rep you talked to is, he may not do any work on the bike either. It could very well be someone that has no clue about any of this, and I highly doubt (though not necessarily true) that one of those guys would actually tell the mechanic to skip out on something important, or to purposely do something wrong. But who knows...people do some weird and ugly shit sometimes.

I try to not get caught into those situations. For one, I think the people at my local Ducati dealer are great and I consider most of them friends. Secondly, that is the only Ducati dealer in a fairly close range. I'd have to drive about 3.5 hours to get to the next one, which is not a Ducati exclusive dealer anyway as far as I know, so their technical expertise is questionable. Sometimes people make mistakes, shit happens, so unless they're purposely trying to screw you over hundreds of dollars, I don't tend to make a big deal out of nothing. I've been under-quoted before as well, but if it's like $100 or so, I'll suck it up an move on. I found that things become much easier and convenient if you're on their good side and you're a fairly loyal customer....but I guess if you plan on moving away soon, you might not really care about that.
The dealership is fairly small. It's a Ducati dealership, but it's not large by any standard (as far as square footage is concerned).

The phone conversations were never nasty, or disrespectful in any way but I could just tell that they felt I was requesting something that they didn't necessarily want to do and my persistence wasn't appreciated. The guys there were really cool and seemed like great guys when I purchased the bike, but I don't really know them. I literally just bought my bike 3 months ago so I don't have much rapport with them.

It's just a big gamble. If they have some spiteful feelings or feel like they should be charging me more for the service, maybe they'll find a way to take it out on me without me knowing.

I could just be paranoid but it's kind of like messing with someone who's preparing your food, you know?

Some people are easily agitated, and may retaliate out of spite.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You are most likely thinking it through way too much. They deal with people daily and getting through the day and selling bikes is all they want to do. Having a retaliation policy for pita customers is not high on their list. If anything, when they sense dis-satisfaction they will go out of their way to win you back and make you happy. The guy working on the bike is paid by the hour and the dealer makes money by him being productive. But the guy doing the work takes pride in the fact that he is "the man" actually doing the important work. I find it hard to believe that anyone that takes pride enough to slave over valve adjustments on a desmo engine would stoop to being an idiot. If you have doubts, just ask to meet your mechanic and befriend him somehow.....buy him lunch or a beer. Tell him not to drink the beer on the job......give him cookies.....anything!

Reactions: StevenAthas

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
From my experience inside a dealership, I'd say they have more incentive to make sure it all goes well for you. Yes, we knew who it was we had issues with, but even in the most toxic dealership I worked in, we still wanted you to be happy in the long run. That said, I don't know these guys, so....

·
Registered
244 Posts
A mechanic that's worth his salt will want to do the job right, regardless of what's going on in the front of the house. Most of them just pick up their work order and it's the next job in line, unaware of any drama. I would not be concerned about sabatage at all.

As far as the service cost, if it was prepaid there should be a receipt for it. If it's in writing then what is to argue about?
Unless it's just a gift card, and you were not given a written estimate?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The dealership is fairly small. It's a Ducati dealership, but it's not large by any standard (as far as square footage is concerned).

The phone conversations were never nasty, or disrespectful in any way but I could just tell that they felt I was requesting something that they didn't necessarily want to do and my persistence wasn't appreciated. The guys there were really cool and seemed like great guys when I purchased the bike, but I don't really know them. I literally just bought my bike 3 months ago so I don't have much rapport with them.

It's just a big gamble. If they have some spiteful feelings or feel like they should be charging me more for the service, maybe they'll find a way to take it out on me without me knowing.

I could just be paranoid but it's kind of like messing with someone who's preparing your food, you know?

Some people are easily agitated, and may retaliate out of spite.
If you in fact bought this bike three months ago, why didn't the Stealership do this service before selling the bike. It's not like they didn't know it needed to be done....what was the point in waiting another 90 days for a major service? Something doesn't add up IMHO

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I wouldn't worry about retaliation in the service area. There is very little connection from the sales/service reps to the people out back who do the service. The service technicians get a sheet and they perform the work. If they need parts, they will inform the service reps who will then contact you. I would write up a document which states there will be no additional charges for your service and bring it with you when you drop off the bike. Have the owner of the dealership sign it and you're good to go. If you don't cover your ass, they will absolutely try to screw you. It will be for some bullshit fee of parts they needed, like new shim's, half rings or maybe something more serious. Something that doesn't cost them anything (they swap shims with ones they have in stock) but they will turn around and nail you for it. Not being a dick specifically to you, but because they're dicks to everyone.

I've been dealing with Ducati, KTM, BMW dealerships for years and every time I've gone, I've been screwed somehow, in some unexpected way. Most of the time it's been over-charging, other time's it's been faulty craftsmanship and vehicle failures. I've learned if you're not mechanically inclined and can't do the work yourself, that you'll be screwed no matter what. Maybe not today, maybe four months down the road when the engine goes pop because some $18/hr service lackey forgot to tighten down one of the timing pulleys,. Then you go back for support and they say "It wasn't our fault". Happened to a friend of mine and he sued. Spent almost a year dealing with it and the end result was a poorly re-built engine that wound up failing a few months later.

Good luck and don't worry, you'll be fine IF you have the owner sign something.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A mechanic that's worth his salt will want to do the job right, regardless of what's going on in the front of the house. Most of them just pick up their work order and it's the next job in line, unaware of any drama. I would not be concerned about sabatage at all.

As far as the service cost, if it was prepaid there should be a receipt for it. If it's in writing then what is to argue about?
Unless it's just a gift card, and you were not given a written estimate?
Everything was in writing and its included in the purchase agreement so it's all written. But what isn't in the agreement was the cost of the service. We added about $850 to the cost of the loan to ensure it would be done.

The reason it wasn't done beforehand was they got the bike in about 3 days before I bought it so we figured we could just include the service cost and I could ride it for a few months, put on the added 1k miles and get the service done.

I don't believe that they were misleading in any way.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Ummmmm for $850 they should be replacing belts, adjusting valves, oil change and paying a good looking hooker to give you a blow job. My last belt/valve job took 4.5hrs and after labour, belts, spark plugs, several O-rings and taxes, the bill came to just over $630 and where I live we have 2 taxes on parts and one tax on labour. Oil change should be around $120 for full synthetic. As I mentioned, that should leave enough for your Happy Ending!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Ummmmm for $850 they should be replacing belts, adjusting valves, oil change and paying a good looking hooker to give you a blow job. My last belt/valve job took 4.5hrs and after labour, belts, spark plugs, several O-rings and taxes, the bill came to just over $630 and where I live we have 2 taxes on parts and one tax on labour. Oil change should be around $120 for full synthetic. As I mentioned, that should leave enough for your Happy Ending!!
From what I've heard from other forum member in the past, most aren't that cheap. A 7500 or 15000 mile service on these bikes range anywhere from $700 to $1200 on average, depending on location/dealer/labor rates/etc. Again, this was just my observation from several threads where people asked about the cost of these services and people replying with how much they paid. I have yet to do one, so I don't know from personal experience.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Many years ago when I had an AlfaRomeo, I complained to my friend about service charges. His response was, "You have a SPORTS car....you have to be a SPORT"! LOL

That about sums it all up. Anything exotic leaves the door wide open for them to give it to us wide open. I've had 6 Ducs, sold all of them and went to other brands just because of this usual and customary 1000 I had to spend every so often. It seems that there is no way around it unless you want to do your own work and really screw up your bike. If you do the service yourself and have results that rival a factory trained tech, you are a special mechanic indeed.

My point is, if you want to ride Ducati, you must be a sport. Pay up, pipe up and let them make their money. I sound strong HERE, but when the bills come in I'm a wimp with the wife!!!

Don't feel like you're getting screwed in any possible way over the money thing.....believe me, they ALL charge big bucks and the ones that don't I simply don't trust.

I've tried to "save" with the "other" shop down the street and ended up extremely pissed off with scratches on my gauges, bodywork and other shit....plus shitty service like a continual coolant leak on my ST3......If they treat your bike like the work of art that it is and are meticulous with it, I think it prudent to just suck it up and pay the big price. Screw it....we want to ride the shit out of these bikes. If we wanted to be miserly we would be on the KLR forum.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
depending on location/dealer/labor rates/etc.
This is quite true. I have access to 2 Ducati dealers and one shop with 2 fully trained Ducati tech's. One of which has been wrenching on them for a few decades now. Very trusted.

As luck would have it, he works at a very respected shop who's rate is only $90/hr as opposed to the 2 Ducati dealers who charge $117.50/hr.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
It always suck to here about this, I agree with Werra its in their best interest to keep past and present customers happy. Shit happens with the bikes that's a given it's up to the dealerships to make it right.

When I had my belt fail at 2k I was so bummed to be without a bike for the start of the summer. The dealership gave me a loaner for free! They didn't have to do this.

Now I've had my gripes about dealers (I've used two in the Seattle area) and the one that I purchased from seems to be the one that always wants to make it right.

I'm not sure if $850 is high or low (it always depends on the area) but I got my 7k service (should be the same as the 15) done for $650 but that was with the winter discount and I had removed my fairings.

I'd keep at it if you can't get anywhere with the dealer keep raising the issue to the next level. Sounds like you are doing it right not getting personal. If all else fails tell them you will elevate it to DNA (DNA doesn't owe you anything thing but the Dealer represents them).

Good luck!

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Maybe you posted it and I missed it Steve but how much more are they charging you over the $850 you've already paid and did they lay it all out for you as to why it's more??

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Maybe you posted it and I missed it Steve but how much more are they charging you over the $850 you've already paid and did they lay it all out for you as to why it's more??
Glad you asked I was going to then forgot

:eek:nthecan:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well that's where it got interesting and frustrating. I asked the tech how much it would be for the 15k service, and he told me $1,400!!!!

I held in my complete and absolute shock, and asked if I could just have them check/adjust my valves (adjust if needed) and change my cam belts and he told me it would be $1,200 for those two things alone. That's when, I think, the conversation became a little annoying to him because I questioned how it could be that expensive. I asked if that was including the cost of shims if they needed replacing, and he told me "no, we charge $17 per shim". $17 per shim is fine, I know they're less expensive, but whatever, I wasn't going to cry about it. But the cost of just those 2 service items seemed really high; so I emailed the owner.

I mean, I get it, I know these bikes are expensive to own, but I took the precaution to include the needed (very expensive) service into my purchase for a reason. I don't mind shelling out the money needed to keep her running right, but i'm really not in the business of getting b*tt f*cked for my hard earned money.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Well that's where it got interesting and frustrating. I asked the tech how much it would be for the 15k service, and he told me $1,400!!!!

I held in my complete and absolute shock, and asked if I could just have them check/adjust my valves (adjust if needed) and change my cam belts and he told me it would be $1,200 for those two things alone. That's when, I think, the conversation became a little annoying to him because I questioned how it could be that expensive. I asked if that was including the cost of shims if they needed replacing, and he told me "no, we charge $17 per shim". $17 per shim is fine, I know they're less expensive, but whatever, I wasn't going to cry about it. But the cost of just those 2 service items seemed really high; so I emailed the owner.

I mean, I get it, I know these bikes are expensive to own, but I took the precaution to include the needed (very expensive) service into my purchase for a reason. I don't mind shelling out the money needed to keep her running right, but i'm really not in the business of getting b*tt f*cked for my hard earned money.
The cost is not in the parts, it's tearing down the bike to get to the valves and if you have to adjust then you have to remove the cams and replace the shims.

If you strip the bike down yourself pull the fairings and the tank that's half the labor...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Next time you will shop for the mechanic first before the bike. My advice to any Ducati buyer is to do just that.....make sure you "know" the shop pretty well......sucks for real....but you are at their mercy afterwards!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like a bit of due diligence should have been done when you got the estimate for the service charge.

Based on your location, on your profile, you live in a boutique area of the country, so servicing prices are going to reflect that.

I still think the dealer is wrong in not giving you your money back. If they won't do that, they should perform the service at the amount initially specified and eat the difference, they've had your money upfront for a while, what would they have done if you totaled your bike or sold it before you used that prepaid service? .

1 - 20 of 91 Posts