Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I saw an ad for a 999 that's selling it as an S model here on the Norfolk craigslist, and I felt compelled to email the seller telling him why it's not an S and he should change his post to not be misleading. It's possible he was misled by a previous owner and he just didn't know better too. But for some reason I feel compelled to defend the brand, like it's my responsibility to do so as a Ducati 999 owner. Anyone ever tried to intervene on a craigslist post? I'm wondering now if I'm going to start getting spam-bombed or my email is going to get hacked or something for emailing this guy. I could have just flagged it but I thought I should let the guy know why the ad is incorrect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see it all the time while surfing Craigslist and even EBay. I've never intervened, but I agree, I don't like to see misleading ads...I guess because I don't want to see someone taken advantage of.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I see it all the time while surfing Craigslist and even EBay. I've never intervened, but I agree, I don't like to see misleading ads...I guess because I don't want to see someone taken advantage of.
There could be hundreds of reasons why a listing is wrong. Some people don't put their own ads on. Maybe his grandmother did it. Maybe he's on his way to jail. All crazy stuff. It's funny, movie stars, wealthy people, nice people and criminals all love good things and especially superbikes! You never know! Then again, alls fair on Craig's List.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a "749s"from a guy....

Didn't feel too good when I took the bike in for service and had the dealer notify me that it was a base model.

Won't be making that mistake again

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a "749s"from a guy....

Didn't feel too good when I took the bike in for service and had the dealer notify me that it was a base model.

Won't be making that mistake again
One good thing about aging is the wisdom we get. I still enjoy learning so I welcome mistakes as well!

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
not craigslist but I bloke at work a little while ago showed me a link to a 749R he was looking at buying... It was matt black...

·
Registered
28 Posts
But for some reason I feel compelled to defend the brand, like it's my responsibility to do so as a Ducati 999 owner.
Why do you feel you need to "defend the brand" in this? It's not Ducati or one of its representatives (brand dealer, importer, etc) so how would this impact on Ducati's reputation?

Personally I feel it is also part of the responsability of the buyer to do sufficient research. And nowadays with Google and everything it is easier than ever to get feedback. When I was looking for a 749 the first thing I did was to become a member of this forum and ask experienced users about the machine.

I don't know about things work in the various countries in the world, but I assume that the bike will have some sort of registration papers, on which the brand, type, and other specifics will be mentioned. The buyer should check these documents. Of course, the seller can claim "O I added all kinds of extras so the bike is now really the same as the S model". And if you know the frame number, you can always call the importer in your country. All the required information is there...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do you feel you need to "defend the brand" in this? It's not Ducati or one of its representatives (brand dealer, importer, etc) so how would this impact on Ducati's reputation?

Personally I feel it is also part of the responsability of the buyer to do sufficient research. And nowadays with Google and everything it is easier than ever to get feedback. When I was looking for a 749 the first thing I did was to become a member of this forum and ask experienced users about the machine.

I don't know about things work in the various countries in the world, but I assume that the bike will have some sort of registration papers, on which the brand, type, and other specifics will be mentioned. The buyer should check these documents. Of course, the seller can claim "O I added all kinds of extras so the bike is now really the same as the S model". And if you know the frame number, you can always call the importer in your country. All the required information is there...
Hey I don't disagree that the responsibility is on the buyer. But I still find it skeezy and underhanded to see people misrepresenting what they're selling. FWIW the seller didn't respond to my email. I flagged his post but nothing happened, it's still active. So maybe it takes some threshold amount of flags to actually get an ad taken down. Ah well, I can sleep peaceably in my bed tonight knowing I tried.

That's pretty good! "Price firm" always makes me laugh.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey I don't disagree that the responsibility is on the buyer. But I still find it skeezy and underhanded to see people misrepresenting what they're selling. FWIW the seller didn't respond to my email. I flagged his post but nothing happened, it's still active. So maybe it takes some threshold amount of flags to actually get an ad taken down. Ah well, I can sleep peaceably in my bed tonight knowing I tried.
As I am not from the US I am unfamiliar with Craigslist. I can imagine that one complaint about an ad is not sufficient for removal - that would make it very easy for competitors to remove each others ads. And indeed, as you indicated yourself, maybe the seller simply doesn't know any better.

I guess we all need to learn the hard way that what you see is not always what you get, and that what is advertised is often not the entire truth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.