Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left the gas station,took off in first,ran it up to about 8k and shifted into second and grabbed a handfull of throttle accelerated momentarily and felt grinding like it jumped out of gear.So I tap the shifter really quick to put it back in gear,needless to say that didn`t help.I figured my chain had come off so I pull to the side of the road.When I got off the bike to check out my chain this what I seen to my amazement.This really could have been nasty if my rear would have locked up as I was going over 60mph when it happened.I hope the warranty covers this because it really gauged up my swingarm and I bet it`s big $ to replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
:wtf:

Can't say I have seen this one but I'm sure it has happen on some bike.

Good luck with it all, that sucks!

Jason

ps. That chain of your's really looks dirty BTW.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry for being a bit of a dumb a$$ but what happened there? Has your chain actually jumped off? Almost looks like the rear sprocket has lost contact with the hub and ran forward into the swingarm?

Hope you get it done on warranty.

Nick

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It actually sheared the hub out of the sprocket.I just put a power commander and Dan Kyles map on my bike.I could feel that the bike had more power but I would have never had thought it had enough to break the sprocket.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You might want to take out the PC first before taking it to the dealer.

Good luck.. Let us know what happens next.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
That's not right, wait until people start putting nitrous and turbos on these. You'd think it would be over engineered enough to handle the (maybe?) ten percent increase in power you got with the power commander and remap. I hope this is just a fluke.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Damn - thats not good at all, no no no, not at all.
.................. As soon as it is pulled apart the reason may become more evident. Let's hope it is dealt with warranty.

·
Registered
424 Posts
WOW
I want to cry for you. That sir is what you call structural falure. if it is the original sprocket, go to the dealer and say ( hey i want my bike perfect again )

That should take care of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The sprocket has failed under sheer at the mounting locations? Looks like you can see the sides of the cush drives pulled up to make way for the mounting bolts from the hub. Effectively leaving the sprocket to be free-wheeling around the hub under power from the engine?

A few q's I'm wondering:
Are the sprockets exclusive to the 1098?
Are the components in question made in batches and distributed to particular bikes (ie traceable)?
Should we be parking up until this is ressolved, or at least have bike VIN confirmed as having a sprocket from a different batch?

My first impression looks like failure due to mechanical defficiency - warranty job.

Nick

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nick your completely right in your observation.everybody needs to inspect their sprockets.If this happens at high speed or in mid corner it could be deadly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like a broken cush drive not the sprocket
But you can see the walls of the the cush mounts all mangled? This is the sprocket/cush interface that has broken... the long thin bits that are mangled are part of the sprocket, I think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
But you can see the walls of the the cush mounts all mangled? This is the sprocket/cush interface that has broken... the long thin bits that are mangled are part of the sprocket, I think?
I just went out & checked the bike & I agree. Either this was a seriously flawed part or it was subjected to some extreme forces. I wouldn't consider acceleration even if this bike were running a turbo with nitrous an extreme force though.

Downshifting & clutch dumping without rev matching or really clumsy upshifting could do this is suppose.

That is not your MO is it Evilduc? Before posting I just did a search to see what you've posted & you seem to have a front wheel up in the air riding style. Do you like dumping the clutch at high revs to launch? What else are you doing with this bike?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ckirekt2s are you serious,dumping the clutch at high revs to launch?Do you own or have ridden a 1098 because if you have you would know that doing that would flip the bike over.I don`t dump the clutch or downshift clumsily.As far wheeling goes it`s almost impossible to keep the front end planted with all the torque these bike put out and ever since I had my forkseals replaced I`ve tried my best to keep the front end down.I firmly believe that this is a material defect or design flaw.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Many good suggestions here, my personal is I think the cush assy/hub structure grenaded...

To tell the truth tho, (no dig intended) when I see a nasty chain like that with the statement it was just lubed.. Well, between that and the corroded sprocket bolts. Kinda makes me wonder.:wtf:

RC

·
Registered
424 Posts
Many good suggestions here, my personal is I think the cush assy/hub structure grenaded...

To tell the truth tho, (no dig intended) when I see a nasty chain like that with the statement it was just lubed.. Well, between that and the corroded sprocket bolts. Kinda makes me wonder.:wtf:

RC

Coroded? Chain like what? my chain looks like that.
That is what is called STRUCTURAL FALURE, in jewelery when we cast metal we have a reject rate of 32 % due to porosity using our casting machines, these sprockets are made of forged aluminum or steel, do you know what it would take to have that type of metal sheer in that way.

Also is the chain stretched or are any of the round guides on the chain chiped,knicked,dented? anything wrong at all???

were you trying to do a rear wheel burn out and accidentaly aplied the rear brake too hard? I could see it possibly have happening in a rear burn out if you were spining in a short gear and hit the rear brake it would still have to have had structural falure.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts