Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears to have an butterfly valve behind the heat shield, can someone tell me what this is for and how it works? What is it connected to? Does the full system have it on? Did man really walk on the moon?

·
Registered
547 Posts
My dealer and Ducati state that its used to provide more low end torque. Some say that its used for Noise regulations. Does it work, i wouldn't know, i don't have the bike yet, however some say that they never see it operating, even on a dyno. There are two cables that are connected to a motor, that is controlled by the computer. I would assume it is based tps and other opperating parameters.
The full system eliminates the valve.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
slob,

the full termignoni system doesn't have this butterfly valve in the exhaust, (or a catalytic converter), and that's how ducati intended the 1098 to run. get the full termi and forget about the butterfly valve.

elton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't I just get the slip on kit and remove the butterfly with all it's crap. I just got of a monster that I spent $6k on accessories and was hoping the 1098 would be good to go as is. Has anyone taken it off yet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
slob said:
It appears to have an butterfly valve behind the heat shield, can someone tell me what this is for and how it works? What is it connected to? Does the full system have it on? Did man really walk on the moon?
IT CONTROLS THE BACK PRESURE ON STOCK EXHAUST. WITHOUT IT YOU LOOSE LOW END POWER AND IRREGULAR MID RANGE POWER. WITH A FULL SYSTEM, YOU NEEDTO GET IT MAPPED AND THE SAME GOES FOR SLIP ONS........

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
slob,

the stock bikes have the butterfly valve and an ECU programmed for the valve. you can't just take out the butterfly valve. if you remove the butterfly valve, you'll need to reprogram the ECU, either w/ a power comnander, or w/ the ECU that's designed for the termi full exhaust. the dedicated ECU that comes w/ the full termi is programed for a 70 mm exhaust system and won't work properly w/ the stock exhaust minus the butterfly valve.

the solution?: buy the full termi which comes w/ dedicated ECU and airbox. stop fooling around. this is the exhaust ducati designed the bike to have. your bike is never going to run properly until you buy the full termi system. spend the extra 3 grand and forget about all these problems.

elton

·
Registered
547 Posts
Does the full system really come with a new air box? from the catalog it just states that it comes with the high flow filter.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
my bad, i meant high-flow air filter. same air box. it's the filter that's important, not the box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
your bike is never going to run properly until you buy the full termi system. spend the extra 3 grand and forget about all these problems.
elton
03-25-2007 01:02 PM

I priced the full system yesterday, even though they haven't got in the slip on kit I ordered last december to arrive with the bike. The slip on kit was around $2500 the full system is $4250, that's almost $2000 just for some pipe. I have a Ultimap U59 so I think I'm going to wait for Arrow to get the full system on the market.
HPE are the only other manufacturer I can find that make a full system and at nearly 1600 pounds that's pretty pricey at over $3800au for the system alone.
http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/twinshack/prods/291.html

Any other options?

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
slob,

you just spent a small fortune for one of the best motorcycles in the world. when ducati designed the bike, they designed it w/ a full termi on it. Ducati can't ship the 1098 w/ the full termi, (even the TC comes w/ the full termi system in a separate box and is installed by the dealer), do to noise/emmissions regs, but that's the exhaust that goes on the 1098.

The extra money you'll spend on a full termi is not "just for some pipe." The full termi is 70mm; the stock one is less. that's important. slip-ons won't make your exhaust 70mm. w/o the 70mm full exhaust, the dedicated ECU and high-flow air filter, your bike isn't going to run right. are you following all the posts about stalling? what's the point of saving money if your bike doesn't run right? i know it's a big pill, but, as they say, "in for a penny, in for a pound." don't be "penny-wise and pound-foolish." buy the right exhaust and enjoy you're new 1098!!

btw, were those numbers you quoted australian dollars? the full termi retails in the USA for $2,760, + tax and installation. lots of dealers are giving 10% discount on the full system to people who buy the system along w/ the bike.

Is it really worth saving $1,000 dollars only to have fuel mapping and exhaust pressure problems down the road? the money you save on a cheaper exhaust will subsequently be spent on a (as-of-yet not available) power commander and dyno servicing to get your bike running right.

buy the full termi and be done w/ it. you won't regret it.

Elton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Easier said than done it would appear, I rang another dealer and was qouted $4800 and that's not fitted. As well as that there is a back order of 35 units which means it could take who knows how long to get here. The slip ons I originally ordered still aren't here after 4 months. The seem to be servicing the larger markets first. Anyone from Australia got one yet and how much did you pay?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Elton, get over it. Are you a Termignoni salesman or what? How much time do you spend every day trying to convince people to buy the full system? My bike runs great stock and has more than enough power, and I'm still keeping the rpm's down for the break in.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
AGM,

Fair enough. your point is well-taken. very few of us, (myself included), have the requisite skill or nerve to use the full HP that comes w/ the bike in stock condition, much less with an additional 12 HP the full termi gives.

peace, Elton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I ordered one today from southern cal ducati about $2760us which converts to about $3400au plus postage$300 Still comes in under $4500 and its on it's way here now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SO CAL Ducati... cool, thats where Im getting my bike!

If one gets a slip on Termi, and then later gets the mid-pipe, isnt that the same thing as getting a full? I was under the impression that slip-on can is the exact same can that comes with the full system. However, breaking it up like that would cost about $250 more.

slob said:
Well I ordered one today from southern cal ducati about $2760us which converts to about $3400au plus postage$300 Still comes in under $4500 and its on it's way here now.

·
Registered
547 Posts
MrFeetZ said:
SO CAL Ducati... cool, thats where Im getting my bike!

If one gets a slip on Termi, and then later gets the mid-pipe, isnt that the same thing as getting a full? I was under the impression that slip-on can is the exact same can that comes with the full system. However, breaking it up like that would cost about $250 more.

The slip on cans are the same as the ones that come in the full kit. Its pretty nice of ducati to make the parts available separately for those who don't wanna fork out the big bucks right now for the full system. down the road you can get yourself the 70mm pipe to add to the slip ons and you got a full kit, however buying them separately will cost a couple hundred more than the full kit, and if dealer installed you'll have to pay for labor twice, unless if you have a nice dealer who will cut you some slack. I'm going for the full system off the bat, that is if my dealer can get one for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Butterfly is for noise only, an expensive solution to pass noise regs. Bought my full system for 10% off retail, installed. Fitting the system is not the only issue, there are CO settings that should be adjusted. In stock form the 02 sensor reads only off the front cylinder and the CO is set low. Even after the Termi ECU was installed the tech reset the richness values to get about a 3% CO reading which go a long way in solving the stalling issues many have experienced.
Fran

1 - 17 of 17 Posts