Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen much info on this so maybe you guys can weigh in...Is there a major difference in how much you roast when running carbon fiber exhaust vs stainless or titanium?

From what I can gather, it seems that just getting rid of the cat in the stock exhaust helps the most but I'm not really sure.

Still haven't made up my mind on exhaust yet but saw the MIVV Suono and they look and sound great, but they do not make them in carbon fiber anymore...think they had some pretty serious issues with their carbon so they discontinued them, but the stainless or titanium come in black and I'm liking what I see/hear...but I would really like to do at least a little something about my boys getting heat stroke when I get stuck in traffic...

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Carbon fiber is better at dissipating heat than any metal. It's just one of the qualities of carbon fiber in exhausts.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There is a huge difference between my carbon akras and the stock exhaust. For me, it was night and day.
Maybe you could explain the differences than for him and others instead of just stating that you have a huge difference. :stickpoke For me, I've never had an issue with heat. But then again I'm never sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks [email protected], I get that part, but how much difference does it actually make? I know that I can touch a carbon pipe right after my ride, but in getting rid of the cat, will I notice any difference at all? In some of your other posts it seems that you may have changed exhausts a couple times (or at least you have commented on several with what sounds like first hand knowledge), some carbon, some not (or maybe it wasn't you, I've read so many posts lately I'm going cross-eyed, so I'm not 100% sure)...

Anyone who has had both, feel free to chime in here too...The under tail exhaust is hot, literally and figuratively, and was expected when I got the bike, so not a really huge deal, just looking for input from those who know. If I can tone it down a notch or two I'll be happy, so maybe the real question should be, will there be a reduction in heat by ditching the stock exhaust, regardless of which type or style I choose?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The radiant heat I use to feel under my butt has been reduced significantly--I can't put a number on it, but I don't seem to notice it at all. However, the heat from the heat shield area on the right side is still toasty-that hasn't changed. This is all specific to sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The radiant heat I use to feel under my butt has been reduced significantly--I can't put a number on it, but I don't seem to notice it at all. However, the heat from the heat shield area on the right side is still toasty-that hasn't changed. This is all specific to sitting in traffic.
Thanks for the input...That's good to know...have you had any experiences with metal exhausts, other than stock...do they provide any relief or is it going to be carbon fiber VS the flames of hell if I don't take that route?

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The molecular structure of a solid such as metal absorbs heat and holds it longer than a fiberous material such as carbon fiber. There's a lot of scientific mumbo jumbo that goes with it but the long and short is carbon fiber absorbs and releases heat faster. Going to carbon will not only help keep your buns a little cooler, it'll take a lot of weight off also.

·
Registered
360 Posts
In order of hotter to coolest pipes temperature wise (I've owned a few in 848/1098) :drummer:

1.- Stockers with cats:kaioken:
2.- Stockers gutted cats:mad:
3.- Stainless :dance:
4.- Titanium :yo:
5.- Carbon Fiber :smoking:
6.- Straight Pipes:BoomSmilie_anim:

Reactions: cbr6

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I gutted my cats on my stockers, it made a noticable difference. I don't know in degress how much of a difference but I can definately feel the difference.

Now I'm running CF Akras and heat is not an issue at all on my ass checks, however, the heat I'm experiecing now (and always have been), is the heat from the engine the inner thigh area.

Basically, if you main concern is the heat, try gutting your cats. It's a cheap mod. all you need is the rivets and a few hours of your time. If its still to hot for your boys, you can always go the CF slip on route after that. But I can pretty much garantee by gutting the cat, you'll feel a difference.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Seeing as the mufflers are behind you it won't help with the heat on the twig & berries.
That will mainly come from the headers esp the rear.

Don't stop. That's the only real grace.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The molecular structure of a solid such as metal absorbs heat and holds it longer than a fiberous material such as carbon fiber. There's a lot of scientific mumbo jumbo that goes with it but the long and short is carbon fiber absorbs and releases heat faster. Going to carbon will not only help keep your buns a little cooler, it'll take a lot of weight off also.
Sarcasm much?! I know carbon fiber does not retain heat the way that any type of metal does...I'm a Ducati noob that has been deprived of a bike for the last few years, not a complete idiot...However, with that being said, thank you for your input and the advice you have given previously, it has helped answer a lot of the other questions I had. My question this time was is there a major difference in how much heat you feel, not does carbon fiber run cooler than metal and why.

I don't know about all this stuff for a Ducati (put me on an in line four with a carburetor and I'm good to go), and don't have the funds to change such a large investment as the exhaust is going to be on a whim, so I ask for advice from people that have been there before. Just trying to be cautious. Not many Ducati's in my area so I cant go look at a buddies bike to see how something looks or feels. That's what you guys are for!

As far as the serious advice goes, appreciate it guys!

LaDrucati, your list helps a lot!

Topgeartech, that's exactly the type of information I was looking for...seat of your pants type of thing (literally) not degrees.

Aussie_Bob, one step at a time...headers are on the list, but I have to put them on the back burner for a bit.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
My $.02 I have an EVO, I bought a set of unused 848 short mufflers, disassembled and cored them. Sounds nice and after my 22 mile drive home from work on a southern Virginia 100* day I can hold the cans as soon as I pull into my garage and turn the bike off and re move my gloves. All with in a minute of stopping. My ass feels cooler but in traffic I still feel a fair amount of engine heat.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
When I bought my bike 2 years ago & after my first ride my ass got sooo hot that I was thinking there was something wrong with it, when I got it home I accidentally touched the cats on the muffler & I burnt my hand...man it was blazing!

1 month later I bought the Termi full system with the carbon cans & let me tell you that my rides were more enjoyable due to the fact that is wasn't hot under the seat anymore & as I got off the bike after a good long run where the temperatures were above 100 on the display...I can grab the cans with my bare hands with no problems!

So in doing the carbon cans it's a no brainer...go for it, you will get a cooler ride & better sound!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Carbon slips are the only way to go. The drop in temperature and weight is all you need - full system if you want a few extra ponies, but imho not worth the $$$

horses for courses though!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Carbon fiber does not transfer as much heat from the exhaust gas to the outside of the can as titanium or stainless would. Hence why the cans remain cooler - heat stays "in" the gas. The rest of the exhaust will be more or less the same.

Regardless of material, your biggest problem is the cat. Once that is gone (track use only....), i dont think the cans material would make that much of a difference, especially since there is a bunch of piping before hand.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Sarcasm much?!
Actually I was being quite straight up and not sarcastic at all. Not knowing who you are and not knowing your knowledge base, I wouldn't want to try and be sarcastic or we'd both end up looking like asses.

I thought I was answering the questions at hand and do apologize if it was misconstrued in any way.

·
Registered
338 Posts

[email protected] - not to be a d1ck but if that were the case we would see heat exchangers made out of carbon fiber and epoxy. Both the carbon fiber and the epoxy are pretty bad at absorbing or dissipating heat - aka they have a low coefficient of thermal conductivity (unlike copper or silver).

Pretty decent at insulating which is what makes the cans cooler and keeps the heat inside.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
There is a huge difference between my carbon akras and the stock exhaust. For me, it was night and day.
A big part of that is the removal of the cats having nothing to do with the material of the slipons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts