Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

This is my first post on here and I'm sure there'll be plenty more.

A couple of months ago, I bought my first Ducati, a Monster 821, at 57 years old. I always fancied one when a lot younger and finally got round to it and I love it, but at my age, I ride it saying to myself, no wheelies. lol

It's a 2020 reg with 2k miles, so it's like new and I love it. (did I already say that?)

I'm looking to buy an exhaust and I know most will say, Termignoni, but I generally don't like to buy what everyone else has and I don't want a twin can. I have seen a few that I'm interested in and one favorite (the SC Project CR-T). The problem is, that it's a race only, not road legal and I can't be arsed with some cop telling me I have to change it or get fined, or even worse it voids my insurance.
I started looking into what makes it not for road use and was told by SC Project that it's the noise level and the lack of catalytic converter, so I've gone onto Ducati genuine spare parts web site to find a diagram of the stock exhaust and there's no Cat. on the list of parts.

So, can anyone tell me if there is a Cat on my bike and if there is, where is it, and if there isn't one, why not and why do I need to buy an after market exhaust with one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Noise causes fatigue. Noise is not stealth when a little WOT is applied. Noise is just like the rest that jump in lake with the same pipe. It's called a squid move. It's called insult the manufacturer giving you the best of all worlds. Noise is a change in air speed is the one open end, then the other open end needs [map] adjusting most of the time to compensate for the drivability change and snowballs a crappy ride from there.

As far a cat, some are welded in the header and live past the 02's bung hole. Cats can be up in the muffler. Cat comes with the pipe and doubt they'd sell a part to weld back in, let alone cut it out first? Cats can be a combo of; in the header and in the muffler.

Signed,
Stay Stock Club formally know as My Map Is Crap Help-Me Club

·
Registered
300 Posts
the short stubby obnoxious cans like the SC Project SC-T tend to mess up the mapping whereas the other SC Project option doesn't - and has a removeable baffle. You'd be best off going for a normal can - pretty sure the 821 never got a cat.

not sure it's possible to own an 821 without doing wheelies - but good luck lol.

Reactions: JGM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone.

This is my first post on here and I'm sure there'll be plenty more.

A couple of months ago, I bought my first Ducati, a Monster 821, at 57 years old. I always fancied one when a lot younger and finally got round to it and I love it, but at my age, I ride it saying to myself, no wheelies. lol

It's a 2020 reg with 2k miles, so it's like new and I love it. (did I already say that?)

I'm looking to buy an exhaust and I know most will say, Termignoni, but I generally don't like to buy what everyone else has and I don't want a twin can. I have seen a few that I'm interested in and one favorite (the SC Project CR-T). The problem is, that it's a race only, not road legal and I can't be arsed with some cop telling me I have to change it or get fined, or even worse it voids my insurance.
I started looking into what makes it not for road use and was told by SC Project that it's the noise level and the lack of catalytic converter, so I've gone onto Ducati genuine spare parts web site to find a diagram of the stock exhaust and there's no Cat. on the list of parts.

So, can anyone tell me if there is a Cat on my bike and if there is, where is it, and if there isn't one, why not and why do I need to buy an after market exhaust with one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
Dear John, I am a 57 year old enthusiastic motor cyclists, and let me add that 1965 is a fine year for men.
Through out my career in the auto repair industry in California I have learned a couple of things, combined with my love for street bikes and my somewhat extensive legal knowledge ( I am not a licensed attorney) I once held a California department of consumers affairs bureau of automotive repair (BAR licsenced smog inspector adjuster license) and in the state of California motorcycles are smog exempt. They do not require a smog test and I am not aware of any motorcycle manufacturer thatb puts a catalytic converter on thier bikes.
I am aware of a California Motor vehicle law that prohibits changing exhaust that basically says if it's louder than stock it's a citation . They will pull you over if the bike is too loud and of they are able to catch you.
Being a responsible citizen I will not run from the police , unless they open fire on me but your experience and choice may differ. Changing your exhaust will void your warranty on your engine and since it is not street legal it makes your motorcycle for off road use only, that is where your insurance loop hole is at
I hope I have answered your question , it's always best to fact check people and in this case I am uncertain about the newer bikes regarding the catalytic converter. Sounds like you all ready checked that and found it to be a myth. Stay safe and keep the rubber side down my friend.
P.s. I bought a Yamaha 1000 when I was 54 and thought I am older now and I am more mature I don't think I'll ride like when I was younger, that was a myth too. I sold that bike and stopped riding the 150 plus death wish, don't be foolish with your life you only get one shot this time around. Stay safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All u guys are over- complicating a very easy question (typical of guys)-- the guy wants a louder exhaust. I found a great pair for my carbon-fibred ST2 since they r 4 me too quiet. They were like $40 a pair! I couldn't believe it! They're metal and have pull out baffles! But they need extensions to hook up to the rear bolts. An exhaust shop should be less than $100. And cat's r always way b4 the exhaust pipe. Finally, a straight thru exhaust will never "change a f.i. mapping". That's what ecu's r 4!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey John,

I've got the same year bike and since it's EURO 4 compliant it does indeed have a small cat. It is welded into the factory exhaust. I know some aftermarket manufacturers sell exhausts that are also EURO 4 compliant. QD exhaust has a single can that I believe has a cat. I got their double can and they both have cats. Pics for reference...hope this helps.

Wood Gas Engineering Human leg Machine

Drinkware Automotive tire Fluid Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
300 Posts
so to summarise - the stock exhaust does contain a cat. After market exhausts don't usually have a cat. you don't need a cat to be noise compliant you just need a slip on with a removeable baffle if you're worried about laws.

the stubby cans usually mess up the mapping whereas the larger cans single or double don't. when I say mess up the mappings I mean they can cause an error on the dash.

Reactions: JGM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have decided to stay away from the tiny Coke can and to get one more respectful. I've ordered a Mivv Delta Race. There's an optional cat, that slips inside the pipe.

From what I can see, there's no need to up map for this and it is Euro 4 compliant and road legal, but still sounds much nicer than the stock silencer, without being too loud. Being road legal is most important for my insurance to remain valid.

Anyway I should get it sometime after Christmas, so I'll just wait and see. I've put on a tail tidy since the photo below, so once my exhaust is done, there'll be a couple of new pics, but the one on the right shows the the 1200 the the Mivv I'm waiting for.

The only other thing I'll look into is some chunkier and just a little bit higher bars. The bar grips are just too skinny for me, so I hope I can do something with them.

Thanks again and I hope to see loads of nice bikes on here.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the short stubby obnoxious cans like the SC Project SC-T tend to mess up the mapping whereas the other SC Project option doesn't - and has a removeable baffle. You'd be best off going for a normal can - pretty sure the 821 never got a cat.

not sure it's possible to own an 821 without doing wheelies - but good luck lol.
:unsure: Think I'll leave the wheelies till the warm weather is back though. I did try just one, but the TC killed it. :rolleyes: Took me a second to realize what was going on, as I've not had it before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts