Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, do you have the evap can still on? How older are your spark plugs? Have you tried reset the TPS. Could be related to the hose but that might just be a coincidence

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Tchase
evap can is long gone. What is TPS (throttle position sensor?)and why/how would I reset it?
yes its the throttle position sensor, you need software, device and cables. Or purchase the Ducati device (expensive) or take it to a dealer and have them reset it.

I'm not so sure if you can't do it yourself that it's worth the investment to do it because it's just a shot in the dark but you are getting unburned fuel..

It's very easy to reset if you already have the ability. If you are going to do your own service then it's probably worth the investment to get Jpdiag or other aftermarket options. Because you can clear you service message and do other things like load maps etc.. Several threads on resetting the TPS on this forum.

But you can check out my video the first time I did it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
To the OP, did this come about after starting, then shut down a couple of times?

It could be as simple as wet plugs from lack of heat/running?

You can't start these things up for your mates to show off, you need to start them and run them not muck about, they don't like short trips to Starbucks etc

Craig

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm going to take a look at the Stepper Motor in the injection system when I can get the time to.
pull the plugs and check the condition of each. if one is wet with fuel and the other is dry, switch plugs between cylinders and see if the problem changes cylinders. If not, try swapping coils between cylinders.
If this happened out of the blue with no changes, I doubt there is a problem with the actual fueling. TPS setting should not change if you did not touch the throttle bodies but I have seen weirder things happen. I would suspect plugs/coils first. How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thx, good advise, I'll try that after inspecting the fuel pump. because when I was removing the gas tank the quick connect fuel line kept running fuel. Of course it should have stopped fuel from running so I now suspect another fuel pump issue. It was a symptom of when the hose between the pump and fuel filter popped off (both in the fuel pump assembly in the tank).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the bike has 13,000 on it. Just pulled the fuel pump again. It looks ok. The plugs look Rich and a little crappy with a bit of dark scale on electrodes. They both look similar. I have ordered new plugs but don't see them as the issue, Perhaps I should clean injectors next? but at a loss for next direction.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I have had experience with very poor mileage/extreme rich exhaust smell when the water temp sensor went bad. The ECU was only getting very low 'cold engine' temperature signals so it stayed on the richer cold map settings. Fuel consumption was severe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.