Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disabled the noise regulation exhaust flap from my '13 Corse SE bike last night and took it out today. What a difference, it's a beast!!

Can't believe I've been riding it for 2 years like this, it was being choked. Bloody EU regulations! I don't think you US guys have the same problem do you.

I thought the flat spot in the middle rev range was just a character of the bike, but it was the flapper. The bike pulls like a train now and feels extremely linear (in comparison). Power builds from 5k to 10k as smooth as silk.

I read how to do it on here and there were various more complex methods but what worked for me was the simplest: the removal of just the upper cable from the flapper valve cam. Everything else remains as stock (lower cable still attached) so the ECU doesn't give an engine warning light.

I'd urge anyone with a UK/Euro bike to try this mod ASAP.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Redsail

can you be a bit more specific , like where will I find this flapper section
sorry to be a dork

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Redsail

can you be a bit more specific , like where will I find this flapper section
sorry to be a dork
Hey Tima. The valve is inside the stock exhaust and located under the black heat shield on the right. You have the remove this heat shield to get to the cables (you'll also need to remove the right ankle guard to get to the bottom allen bolt, at least I did). You'll see two cables attached to a cam behind which is a spring.

Easiest thing then is to unscrew the locking nut and remove the whole cam assembly and spring from the flapper arm (make a note of how the spring attaches for reassembly), and from then its easy to unhook the *upper* cable from the cam only and reassemble. The instructions I read had a spring put over the free cable end to give something to pull against so that the servo works exactly as before, ***but it doesn't even need this in my case. Still no engine light***.

[EDIT: its DOES need the spring. Got an error this morning as it had reeled the upper cable all the way in during switch-on test.]

Because the big spring on the flapper cam keeps the valve in the open position it was only the upper cable that was doing the closing action. Keeping the lower cable attached fools the servo during the startup test into thinking that everything is normal. Bwha hah hah!

I read that some riders claimed the servo only activates when the bikes is in neutral, but on my UK bike at least it was definitely the cause of the flat spot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a handy gadget, you can take it all off I take it.

I wanted mine to be easily returned to stock while its still in warranty though. Any excuse to get out of warranty work... my alu tank is being replaced soon.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No...no internal codes that the dealer can see. Also, the servo being removed will not void your warranty unless they can prove the it's removal caused the problem.

+1 the vizi-tech servo eliminator...works great, then you can loose the whole thing.

Keep in mind, its only there for emissions. Any full system exhaust you put on will eliminate that anyway.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I know this is the case in the states not so sure across the pond.

Also check out this s/s I was surprised...

Wow...yet another reason to make use of JpDiag. Had not considered it would be different over there...

In that case, disregard that part of my previous statement.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been trying to get scan m5x working but the BT dongle won't talk to the ecu, think it's a fake. When I get a proper one hopefully I can see and clear any codes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had to do this to mine as well...hooked right up after that. But the Bluetooth dongle that I purchased for ScanMX5 doesn't seem to be the right one, not all the functions work as they should or remain greyed out.

But I will admit that my solder did not look nearly so nice as the one in the pic.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
No...no internal codes that the dealer can see. Also, the servo being removed will not void your warranty unless they can prove the it's removal caused the problem.

+1 the vizi-tech servo eliminator...works great, then you can loose the whole thing.

Keep in mind, its only there for emissions. Any full system exhaust you put on will eliminate that anyway.
it's there for noise regulations, at least that's what DNA told me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
All you have to do is bridge the pins per JPdiag instructions should still work for MX.

I know because I bought one off ebay it worked, gave it to a forum member bought another one and it didn't work so I had to solder it.

** If anyone does find that they have the Winchiphead lead then you need to do a modification by making a solder bridge between pins 4 and 5. The picture below shows how
Oh, cool. So this will allow it to talk to the ecu? Scan m5x could connect to the dongle just fine via BT but gave a "check cables and connections" error. I'm using this on an android tablet.
Will try soldering today. this is the dongle I bought, can you confirm the solder mod will work with this one, looks a little different to your pic:

OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Scanner Android Torque Auto Scan Tool OBD-II UK | eBay

Ingore...see below

1 - 20 of 54 Posts