Ducati.org forum banner

1098 owner's which kind of exhaust do you have?

• Termignoni

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • G&G

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arrow

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • LeoVance

• Arkrapovic

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Zard

• Quat-D

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Remus

• Stock

Votes: 3 8.3%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's going on! I don't really get a lot of time online (fighting the global war on terror and all lol :yo: ) and I have tried to find after market stuff for my new baby. :banghead: I want exhaust.. Something different the termi's.. not that they're not amazing it's just everyone has them.. anyone know any other GOOD QUALITY exhaust? and a windscreen, levers, pressure plate and clutch cover.. that's all the after market I want... any links would be awesome. thanks guys you guys ROCK!

·
Registered
152 Posts
jpiwko check this link ZARD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you guys rock I really like the arrow. Anyone try them yet? does dyno jet make a power commander for it yet?
or do you think the new ecu is the route to take with this one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
PC not required for this race slip on. Runs great with an almost even distribution of torque and hp increase throughout the rpm range. Gets about 5-6 hp more. YOu will experience some stalling at idle that lot's of folks even with the termi slipons have been experiencing but I had my dealer reset the TPS and it does not do it anymore.

I heard from Arrow that the full system coming soon is rumored to have 70mm headers with a lambda port. Dynojet is working with them for a map for the coming PCIII with this full system.

BTW I am really liking the Arrows..they sound fantastic at speed when the engine is under load. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you have the arrow slip ons? are they are racing or street vs.? I really like the look of the carbon fiber. I saw you have an "S" vs. I am going with the base model.... This is my first jump into the Ducati scene and I hope it is a well decided one. I live in Hawaii and there are going to be few are far between 1098's roaming the island and I would like my presents to be known with some excellent exhaust. I just don't like the termi's because everyone and there mom has them. so you have the slip ons and a air filter I take it? stock ecu? what type of gas mileage are you seeing and does the slip on void the warrantee? just curious. thanks again. ttyl

·
Registered
54 Posts
jpiwko,
The stock 1098 airfilter is very much like a BMC or K&N style. I did not change mine out. :) You can see daylight looking through the filter element so it's good enough for me. Not much noticeable difference in fuel consumption although to be honest I have not had the chance to really quantify it. Stock ecu. No remapping req'd for the slipons.

I went with the Titanium ones because I am going to have all the fairings in CF already and feel that having a CF exhaust might be overkill? :) I have the Race ones without the dbkiller. I believe the standard distributed ones in the US will have a removable dbkiller installed. But they sound so nice without it. Not obnoxiously loud at all. Really makes it sound like a Duc should.

·
Registered
71 Posts
After market stuff for the 1098

I am thinking the Zard exhaust needs some Preparation H to cool those flaming roids down. That has got to be the ugliest exhaust ends I have ever seen.
I have been on the hunt for aftermarket stuff for the 1098 and there is not much out there that you can get your hands on at the moment. The first thing for me will be suspension upgrades, Ohlins internals for the forks and an Ohlins Triple Clicker for the rear. I have emailed Rick at Cogen Dynamics and he says he might be able to do the forks, Showas, with stuff already available but nothing so far from Ohlins on the shock.
There are a few clutch covers but nothing I like very much so far. I am not sure about if you could use the same covers as the older bikes. I have a Paulimoto cover on my 999r and like it a lot. MotoWheels is even sort of slack for stuff it looks like. In time there will be a bunch of stuff out there.
Hey! Good luck with that "Global War on Terror" as there are a lot of folks counting on you all out there. Be safe!!!

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
guys,
ducati designed the bike around the full termignoni system. i know $2,760 + tax +installation is a big pill to swallow, but it's the way to go. looks great, sounds great, and let's not forget the extra 12hp, so critical when you're only starting with 160hp! forget the aftermarket slip-ons and go for the system ducati intended for the bike.
elton

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I was informed by my dealer that the Termi system, if installed by a dealer, is the only one covered by the factory warranty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yup,
Just like my Aprilia and for that matter any other manufacturer too. Anything installed on the bike that is not installed by dealer automatically voids the warranty. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know stupid question but doesn't the "S" come with termi's"?
Or are those only slipons?

Yes I'm a newb when it comes to Ducs!

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so you have to have the dealer install slipons? if it is like my gsxr it's just a clamp (maybe 2 cuz of dual exits) but then some spring type brackets and nothing really major. Maybe total install time of less then 20 mins... correct me if I am wrong though Because I haven't even seen a real 1098 in person yet! I go on R&R in 3 days so the first thing is a trip to the old duc shop.

John

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
stefan,

the S comes w/ the same exhaust as the base model. only the Tri Colore comes w/ the full termi system.

John, don't mess around. buy the real deal! you just spent 15Gs for the best bike in the world. buy the full termi and get the exhaust ducati intended you to have.

elton

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thankyou for the reply!

So is the S model worth it?
I'm trying to figure out what my next bike will be.
Without looking is Duc using Showa suspension on the base model?

I think I need to do some more reading.

All in all what I am looking for is most likely suspension which will probably be done by Mike Thermosman, exhaust full Termi system and have the headers ceramic coated to reduce engine compartment temps as well as temp near the rear shock, and then a stearing stabalizer/dampener. I'll probably switch the brake pads over to Vesrah (love their feel if they make some for the 1098) and then look at some different wheel to reduce unsprung weight.
One other thing is change out the rearsets and go with GP shit since my racebike is set up that way!

The entire debate that I am going through in my head is if it is worth it to go with the base model and do this? Will I save money or will I spend over $20K??

·
Registered
166 Posts
stefan said:
One other thing is change out the rearsets and go with GP shit since my racebike is set up that way!
You can do this simply by flipping over the shift lever in the trans.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
stefan,
if ur concern is unsprung weight and suspension, then the "S" is definately worth the extra 5 grand. My 1098S just arrived at the dealership and is being built to my specs. the base model comes with showa suspension and a showa steering dampener and cast marchesini rims. the "s" model comes w/ olins suspension, olins steering dampener, and forged marchesini rims. the forged rims are significantly lighter than the cast rims on the base model, thereby reducing unsprung weight. to further reduce unsprung weight, the "s" model comes w/ a carbon fiber front fender. although the base and the "s" model come w/ the same engine, the reduced unsprung weight coupled w/ the superior olins suspension makes the "S" model handle better. Hence, the "s", (sport model) designation. the "s" model also comes with the data acquisition system. the "s" is an extra 5 grand, but if you were to buy the components seperately, it would cost you much more. the olins shocks, front and rear, will run you about 6 grand, plus installation. the forged marchesini rims on the "s" model retail for 3 grand a piece! that's about 12 grand for the important upgrades, plus another few hundred for the carbon fiber fender and another couple hundred for the DAS, if you want it.

Neither the base nor the "s" comes with the termignoni full system. that's another 3 grand. but once you add the full termi to the "s", mechanically you have a tri colore. minus the italian flag paint scheme, of course. so, for 23,000 you can have a red "tri colore". if you were to start w/ the base and buy the upgrades it would cost u about 25 thousand. unless you have to have the italian flag color scheme on your bike, the "s" is the best bargain of the three.

since ducati reduced the price of the 1098 significantly, and since everybody who has a deposit on an "08 is likely going to spend 5 Gs more than those of us who got an '07, treat urself and buy an "s". that is, if you can find one.

ride safe.

speaking of riding safe, did you read that post from liquidair in the thread about how old everybody was? He said he was 23 and bought a 1098 as his first bike!!!! wow!!!! that kid has heart!!!

peace, elton

·
Registered
131 Posts
hey Stefan nice to see another screamin eagle one here! i am former 101st myself. I have an 07 base model and am really impressed so far. I will be getting the full termi system and jet hot coat the pipes as well. I too kind of wanted a different system as well because the termi's are going to be so common and i really wanted a titanium system so i could significantly reduce weight as well as gain power, however to my knowledge no one else produces a full system and someone made a good point as far as Ducati specifically designing the bike with the termi's in mind, also it does come with an upgraded ECU and air filter, and most importantly no warranty issues! so it does seem to be the best bet. Anyway good luck over there in the sand box, stay up and keep your head down brother!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts