Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone wrapped their 749/999 exhaust with any type of exhaust wrap?

-If so, did anyone notice a drop in temp or a need for any type of tuning due to the less dense (hotter) exit exhaust gasses leaving the bike?
-Did you also notice any header or pipe damage due to excessive heat build-up?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Very good question that I had a few years back!
You will certainly find some helpful threads in here if searching a little bit under that keyword man. Ended up NOT doing it personally since after awhile it turns out all nasty looking with discolored and frayed pieces of wrap around various spots and just didnt seem to be worth it for a few reasons (IMHO of course) but its definitely worth reading into it all a bit more my man! Don't forget they even have several color choices of wrap these days too ya know? Best of luck and don't forget to post some pics of it all when done brother! :)

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Not a 749/999 but I wrapped one of my 848 headers (I have 3 of them) and yes the temps went down underseat and when I re-wrapped a few yrs and many thousands of K's later, there was no damage to the pipe under the wrap. I used the Ti wrap as it stands up to the yrs of use better than the black or tan regular fiber stuff. Had I known there would be no issue with the stainless I would have just left the wrap on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys!
I will plan on wrapping mine soon and will definitely post pics.
The temps are what I am looking forward to dropping.

Where did you get the Ti wrap from? Any good deals that you know of?

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I got mine directly from DEI as work at a motorcycle shop and we deal with them. Anyone can order directly from them I believe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also have liked the DEI wrap. Be sure to pick up the tool they sell for tightening the stainless zip ties. It is like $5 and perfect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you considered ceramic coating the exhaust? I have been toying with the idea on my bike and if no one has any issues with their wrapped exhaust I may pull the trigger. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I've also got a ceramic coated header and it really doesn't do much for underseat temps. The wrap was a marked improvement over the ceramic.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Define parts?? I removed my exhaust to do it as you need to have room to swing the roll of wrap.

·
Registered
226 Posts
To do it right you gotta pull the exhaust. IMO otherwise it'll be a make-shift job, you'll spend more time and get frustrated. I just wrapped mine with the DEI titanium wrap. Used 50' of 1" starting at the front header pipe and finished it off with 25' of 2" on the rest. Between the two it was just long enough, I suggest 33' of 2". IMO stainless ties from DEI are over priced, you can pick-up a bag of 100 for what you pay for 10 from DEI. Be sure to get new exhaust gaskets too else you might blow a hole in your new wrap job. Lots of info video on DEI's website and YouTube.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Its really not that difficult and will only take a few evenings. All you really need is a vise or other suitable means to gently clamp the pipes to hold them while you wrap them.

Remove the right rear set, the tail fairing & bolts holding the canister to the sub frame then remove the sub frame. Remove the springs connecting the pipes to the muffler canister and lift off. Unbolt the pipes from the heads, its tricky getting at the nuts but it can be done with patience using a 1/4" ratchet & box/open end wrench. Leave the springs on the joints to remove each pipes as a complete assembly. That way you'll know how to reposition them back when they are wrapped.

Gently clamp the front pipe in something to hold on to. Follow DEI instruction on how to start and wrap the the pipes. When you get to the first joint put the new gaskets in and attach the rear pipe. The springs will provide reference orientation. Fit the rear pipe and continue to wrap past the joint. Put a couple extra close wraps over the joints. When you get it wrapped past the joint tie wrap on both sides of the joint and replace the springs. Add a few tie wraps along the length on either side of the pipe bung plug just for grins. At some point the 1" wrap will run out, just continue with the 2" until you get the the end where it connects to the canister. Temporarily fix the wrap so it does not unwind & leave sufficient length to finish the job after the canister is remounted. Wrap the rear pipe the same way. fit new gaskets in the canister stubs and slip it back on. Finish wrapping and tying off both pipes. Reassemble leftovers.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
:wtf:

Whats that?

Insulation around your tube?

Pink Panther by chance?

Like a magnet for carbon. Loose fit and cut to fit a piece of Kao-wool. Protects the carbon fiber from the heat, ultra light and carbons little. The loose fit makes it unreal for those with sensitive ears and awesome for those of us whom are hearing....impaired. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts