Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into ideas on exhaust for my '14 SF848. If I go with Termignoni kit, how do you know it's really set up right unless you do a dyno tune. How do you make adjustments if they are needed without a fuel management?
What would be a better set up, say an arrow or akrapovic with an air filter and fuel management with custom map/ dyno tune? Just your thoughts as I'm new to the Ducs and looking for some info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm looking into ideas on exhaust for my '14 SF848. If I go with Termignoni kit, how do you know it's really set up right unless you do a dyno tune. How do you make adjustments if they are needed without a fuel management?
What would be a better set up, say an arrow or akrapovic with an air filter and fuel management with custom map/ dyno tune? Just your thoughts as I'm new to the Ducs and looking for some info.
If you get a Termi, get the DP ECU that goes with it. The Ducati service department will plug diag sensors/ports into the bike and fine tune it.

Or, depending on the service department, you can get an exhaust of your choice and a DP reflash ECU that's compatible with the Ducati service department's hardware/software and end up with the same fine tuning.

I did the latter with an SC-Project GP-M2 exhaust and a Redline (or similar) ECU reflash. I ordered the exhaust from MotovationUSA.com and the Ducati Austin dealership parts department was actually able to order the ECU reflash directly from the vendor.

Whatever you do, don't get a Bazzaz or a Power Commander -- they won't *actually work* with a stock ECU. (And by *actually work* I mean they won't perform as advertised. Search if you want specifics.)

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks for the info I guess I need to talk to my dealer

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the simplicity of the single can vs the duel. Both your bikes are sick! How loud are your bikes? Is it unbearable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you using the DB killer? If so, 50mm or 35mm. How does it compare (noise level) with what you took off?:drummer:
I am using the DB killer now. It was REALLY loud without it, but not unbearable. I just didn't want to piss off my neighbors. I like the sound with and without the db killer. I am not sure but i believe its the 35mm db killer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when it comes to the reflash of the ecu do they make it an open loop system or are your bikes still running closed loops, and were they able to smooth out the lower rpm range. Mine is pretty rough under 5k rpm, but as long as I'm on the throttle its ok. It's pretty hard to stay in the break in range when it doesn't want to be there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
when it comes to the reflash of the ecu do they make it an open loop system or are your bikes still running closed loops, and were they able to smooth out the lower rpm range. Mine is pretty rough under 5k rpm, but as long as I'm on the throttle its ok. It's pretty hard to stay in the break in range when it doesn't want to be there.
I rode the bike for about a couple weeks before getting the ECU + tune and it definitely made the lower end more manageable. The bike/throttle definitely became more predictable in turns. But... it's a Ducati... Anyone claiming their lowend is perfect, regardless of tune/management, is lying ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
keju I actually seen your exhaust when I was looking for them and really liked that one more then the others....especially since it's still Italian. Did you remove your servo and flap on your bike? I did it on my gixxer just before I went and had the map/dyno tune done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post for me from the UK so hi everyone.
My 1098 SF runs Termi cans with the custom ECU that came with them. It runs quite well, a little rough on very small throttle openings but not enough to annoy. But I think it could be better. It seems a little rich to me and not as explosive as it could be from 5 to 7 K. (There's a steep uphill straight near me and going up there the other night it was lofting 90 mph third gear wheelies over every bump all too easily, so its not exactly flat but I feel there's a little more brutishness in there waiting to come out and I intend to give it every encouragement).
Tomorrow its going in to CJS Racing in Bristol for a full custom ECU reprogramme. No Bazazz, no Power Commander, each cylinder fine tuned separately for fuelling and ignition and emissions restrictions turned off. They will balance the throttle bodies first then reprogramme each cylinder one at a time. I asked about the exhaust valve. It can be removed but the performance advantage is small and the pipes will remain loud on a closed throttle. If you are running without db killers and don't want to attract undue attention in built-up areas it might be better to leave it alone, otherwise fit a full race system which won't have a valve in to start with. But it will be window-shaking loud.
They're going to reprogramme the Termi ECU, not the EO item that belongs with the standard cans so the bike can be returned to original spec if required. I will ask what they recommend for the air filter. It would appear a different filter was fitted with the Termis.
I'll let you know the results of this, hopefully by the end of the week..
This bike is a keeper so if this goes well I'll run it for a year or so then have the engine dynamically balanced and the heads flowed and ported.
I may possibly then have to think about suspension upgrades and a better steering damper...

·
Registered
52 Posts
keju I actually seen your exhaust when I was looking for them and really liked that one more then the others....especially since it's still Italian. Did you remove your servo and flap on your bike? I did it on my gixxer just before I went and had the map/dyno tune done.
The Y-pipe that comes with the SC-Project GP M2 exhaust replaces the pipe that has the flap valve in it.

The DP ECU (and most copy/re-flashes) eliminate the check light caused by removing the servo. Or, you can leave the servo in and "job" it and you won't get the check light either, I did that until the ECU arrived.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I installed my new exhaust today and this is the result. ......loose springs!
I'm telling you... the short springs that came with it are for the canister. And you have to pull the OEM springs pretty tightly to get them to fit between the Y-pipe and the other pipes -- I had to use needle nosed pliers to stretch the OEM springs to fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh yeah, and you'll probably want to use a copper exhaust gasket goo on that section in your photo. If you don't, condensation will drip around the joint and leave an ugly permanent stain on the titanium pipe before long.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is the short ones that came with it

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is the short ones that came with it
Sounds like the silly Italians packaged you the wrong springs on your rush order while shorting out the US retailer... They initially didn't include the CF hanger in my order. The springs included with mine are shown in the attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you get 2 short springs and 1 longer, cause all 3 of mine are the same size

1 - 20 of 32 Posts