Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching around for an alternative fuel tank (aluminum and carbon). And in my quest I stumbled on a Japanese manufacture called Beater that makes aluminum fuel by hand which holds 20L.

It’s priced comparable to other aluminum tanks that is being offered but it holds more fuel which is a plus. Has anyone ever heard of this brand, quality, fitment, etc.?

Here’s the link: BEATER:Aluminum tank DUCATI 1098 | Samurider.com

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello and welcome. I see that your in MN good shit.

I recently picked up a Aluminium DP gas tank.. I have a little bit of knowledge on the subject.

I looked at the Beater web site. And as much as I like to support smaller company's. And the tank doesn't look half bad. and 25 years so they should know what there are doing but @ just shy of 1500$ IDK.
I paid just under 1800$ for my DP tank. A very nicly used one just popped up on here for 1400.(it is sold though) I seen 1 sell on the bay for 1700.

I went with the DP because I know it will/is a bolt on product. I just put the stock gas cap on it last night and it fit on with no problems at all.

Maybe someone will chime in on the BEATER tanks. But in my opinion I would pick up the DP tank for a little more cash.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Most likely BEATER aluminum tank is a top quality product as most of "Made in Japan" aftermarket parts are. Description of the tank says that their tanks are used by many race teams in Japan,so it's a good thing.
I can't find a link now,but there is a thread on Ducati.MS forum where a guy bought one of their tanks for a 749-999 series bikes and he was very happy with quality and fit of the tank.
However,if you look closely at the picture on their website,you can see that on 848-1X98 bikes there is no trim installed around ignition/steering lock. Most likely it won't fit because of different shape of their tank. It's a trade off for bigger tank capacity. On a race bike I wouldn't care,but then I would rather use,cheaper OEM plastic tank.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If bigger capacity is what you are after, ETI fuel cell is a good alternative. But if you just want a different look, then aluminum or carbon are your options. Good luck with your tank hunting!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't know liters and just now figuring out the metric system, lol. But in US weight and measurements.
The stock tank is supposedly 4.2 G and the DP Aluminium is 4.9G.

I read on here that gas mileage on the stock is 120-130 while the AL DP tank gets 150-170.

I kind of agree with Mike if it's just for track the stock is fine or go with the ETI one.
I bought the AL one because My bike will see limited time on a track and on the road and for 6 months out the year in my garage. So with sitting that long I didn't want to worry about the tank expanding and leaking.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good point cul8er . Some folks change out plastic tanks to AL ones, so they don't have to deal with expanding tanks any more. It's the best cure for that problem. IMO
With aluminum tanks being that expensive,I would keep a stock plastic one for track days, anyway.It makes sens to spend another $150 for a used fuel pump,as well. That makes swapping tanks much quicker.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The previous owner had the plastic tank replaced under warranty a couple of years ago. I’m beginning to notice bubbling on the side of the tank. So, I’m looking for a permanent cure for the plastic tank expansion issue. The 1198s will see limited track time as I only use my CBR600RR for track.

You both make a validate point. Maybe I will shell out a little bit more money and get a quality DP aluminum tank. My research on BEATER tank doesn’t show much wide spread use – maybe they’re more known on the race arena. I did notice a nipple on the upper top left side of tank – I assumed that is for the vent.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
If bigger capacity is what you are after, ETI fuel cell is a good alternative. But if you just want a different look, then aluminum or carbon are your options. Good luck with your tank hunting!
Yes, I love my ETI tank.

A genuine 21L, compared to the stocker's 14.7.

Over 5 lbs lighter. (Not when it's full)!

With the anti-slosh foam it doesn't make the bike feel top-heavy, and the fuel load doesn't move.

And of course you don't have to fill it right up unless you need to go a long distance.

John is a great guy. Top quality work, and nice to deal with.

He makes them at his home north of LA. I picked mine up while we were visiting the US.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I last had my stock tank replaced under warranty for the expansion issue (2nd time) I had it professionally lined with the Caswell epoxy system by GTL in North Hollywood, CA before installation. So far absolutely no sign of expansion after almost a year so this might be an alternative solution.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What material is the ETI tank of?
It's some sort of kevlar composite. I am looking to get one soon. My stock tank has expanded but seems to have stopped. I still want to get the ETI for the larger capacity.
I was considering a carbon tank but I have seen a few instances where the carbon starts to peel layers separate around the fuel filler area.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
FYI on carbon tanks... I don't know if it's just the one a buddy of mine got, but in the sun it started to bubble and seperate... It was definitely unslightly.. However, in the shade it looks beautiful.. Needless to say, he returned it.. Went with the stock tank instead..

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts