Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That's cheap for a belt change, tbh. It's a bitch trying to get the damn vertical cover off with the tank lifted when I did it myself. But do they do valve check as well?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I am about to order exact fit timing belts for my 748 and wanted to do the work myself as well. I know that if they break they will cause enormous damage, but installation can't be that hard....can it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I watched their Youtube videos, & it didn't seem too bad. Some on the forum have doen it themselves, but I still don't trust myself enough though. I'll go ahead an watch a few more times to see if I can get brave enough. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I watched their Youtube videos, & it didn't seem too bad. Some on the forum have doen it themselves, but I still don't trust myself enough though. I'll go ahead an watch a few more times to see if I can get brave enough. :)
I have yet to do it on my 1098S as I got it late last year and the previous owner did them in 2012 a few K miles ago. However, on my Sport Classic it is easy. CACycleWorks has great videos on youtube that walk you through it. I can see removing the covers on the 1098 being a bit more work, but once you get it there, it's the same principle.

Grab LT Snyders book, I have it, it has great walk through on all this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did mine at a diy shop here with a ducati tech teaching me, glad I.had the tech there, it was quite a project, very doable, you need a few special tools though. Mark all the cams before pulling the belts though so you can line them back up correctly and easily and not lose your timing

·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
Straight forward follow the video mark your gears count your teeth (on the belts and mark them), I would suggest after you get a hundred miles or so to check the tension again. I had to tighten mine up a tad.

·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
Weeellll I think it's one of them jobs where taking the time to learn is a good thing. 4 weeks is a bit long but I bet you cut that time in half next servicing!!
It was over the winter I was in no hurry and did some cleaning :ahhh:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was just quoted $750 for belts (supply my own), cam degreeing to my specs., check and adjust valves as necessary, sync throttle bodies to new cam degree #'s as necessary, and checkin/adjust tune on the dyno. Seems fair.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I got the valve clearance done with new belts put on supplied by me, $400 in Australia.
That was on a R which have a different setup with the shims.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts