Ducati.org forum banner

FBF Trip and 899 test ride

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  rubbish 
#1 ·
Went to a Ducati Experience Tour at Fast by Ferracci over the weekend and wanted to share a couple of pics I took and my experience test riding an 899 and first thoughts compared to my 848.

Bike was much easier to flick into the corners than the 848.

Inside of my right knee got very hot.

Throttle was much more responsive than an 848, must be due to the Ride By Wire technology. It felt very twitchy and with every bump on the road id be slightly rolling on/off.

Let's just say when I hopped off the bike, went over to my 848, gave her a hug and apologized for cheating

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle racer Motorcycle Red

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Red Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Went to a Ducati Experience Tour at Fast by Ferracci over the weekend and wanted to share a couple of pics I took and my experience test riding an 899 and first thoughts compared to my 848.
How long was the 899 test ride ? ..

#4 · (Edited)
Approximately 20 minutes

Interesting...my experience was different comparing my 1198 to a 1299 demo bike I test-rode. When I got back to my bike, I gave it a "for sale" sign.

I didn't find it comfortable to ride. When I'm on my bike, the bike is an extension of my body; with the Panigale, I didn't feel the same. Maybe Id need more time to get used to it but I was not in awe when I got off

#3 ·
Interesting...my experience was different comparing my 1198 to a 1299 demo bike I test-rode. When I got back to my bike, I gave it a "for sale" sign.

#6 ·
My ride was like 5 minutes only (though it was around a track....don't care about how a 205 hp bike feels like on the street) and that was enough to convince me it's a much better bike in almost every way...and it was bone stock too. But to be honest, I still prefer the way the RSV4 Factory handled and felt when riding it around the track ;)

#7 ·
Just found out a colleague of mine attended the same FBF event.

After his test ride, he traded-in his 848 EVO for the 899.

Purchasing upgrades and goodies as we speak :)

Reactions: Dmitriy5099
#8 ·
I can see it being batter on the track but riding on the street didn't leave me thinking that. Although, I did feel a noticeable difference of how easy it was to turn the bike. Whats everyone's experience with ride by wire been like?

Another couple of things that I liked were different modes you could select depending on riding conditions (wet, race, sport), front and rear ABS, and engine break control. This being said, I wouldn't be able to justify the switch.

Also, missing the iconic single sided swingarm which is a negative for me; only the big brother gets that and the colored dashboard display.

#11 ·
Also, missing the iconic single sided swingarm which is a negative for me; only the big brother gets that and the colored dashboard display.
I can completely understand this. If the 1199 didn't have the SSS and color display I wouldn't have traded in my Diavel so fast when one came up for sale onn the cheap back in April. As a previous 1198 owner, I choose the 1199 all day long. Better package altogether.

As far as the twitchiness of the throttle, I've experienced it too but not to a point where I can complain. It's really only noticeable going over bumpy roads. On the track and on smooth, twisty roads it's non-existent.

#9 ·
I went thru this exact same emotion when test riding an 1199....

My 848 was much more stable, but the 1199 was much easier to initiate turn in. I rode the 1199 for an hour and it felt twitchy as hell and I did not like it at all....

What did I do?

Traded the 848 for an 1198... :)

#16 ·
Ive got Nichols 30mm ofset triples on my 848 racebike. I recently rode a 2012 1199 base at a trackday. I didnt push as hard as I do on my 848 because, well the 1199 is not mine. I thought they were similar as far as turn in though. Im assuming the 899 and 1199 will feel the same, I believe they have the same geometry. Hope that helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.