Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I am trying to locate my first Ducati that I owned years ago. I have the VIN and even contacted the dealership I traded it to. The dealer hasn't had the bike come back to the shop since 2008.
Any suggestions on where or how I could relocate the bike and try to purchase it off of the current owner?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
902 Posts
Call the DMV and you can do a VIN # search that will show who the last person to register the bike was with their information.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call the DMV and you can do a VIN # search that will show who the last person to register the bike was with their information.
Thanks for the quick response. Is that public information? Will they be able to give me current owner info?

·
Registered
902 Posts
you have to pay like 25 bucks or something. But yes they should give you home address ect. But if the bike hasn't been registered for a while the information may be old.

At least it will give you a starting point. I used this "service" to find a old '71 Cuda a friend wanted to track down that he used to own. It worked beautifully.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (18 U.S.C. 2721 er seq) and also by sections 87 and 89 of the NYS Public Officer’s Law.

So I contacted them in order to submit the paperwork and they returned with this... Apparently no info as to the current owner can be viewed by me. Only previous owners (Myself) are listed. It only shows that it is currently registered in NY State.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was able to do this about 10 years ago...Maybe the law changed? Can they give you any contact information?

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you have the registration information you could ask a cop to do a search (if you have any connections)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have connections with some police buddies but I would be overstepping with trying to contact the current owner. Kind of like invasion of privacy. My best luck is someone finds me on this forum!
The dealer said if it ever comes back in for service he would contact me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yea you are probably overstepping contacting him, but i know if it was me who had your bike i would understand why you wanted to get a hold of me you know. Chances are he is just as into Ducati's as the rest of us.

Good luck with it and let me know if you get any updates.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
When the privacy act was enacted, it stopped a lot of services we previously had and also put monitoring on services that have access to it, as in the police.

I have a couple of friends previously on the force who were let go because a friend asked for info, they looked it up, their actions were monitored and were then asked why they had accessed that information. When they couldn't prove it had to do with an ongoing case, they were dismissed immediately. I wouldn't ask your police friends.

It's possible you might be able to contact DMV and get them to give the current owner your info and let them contact you. Might even be able to do it from a local Ducati dealer if they have VIN access.

·
Court Jester
11,822 Posts
CarFax?

·
Court Jester
11,822 Posts
I thought this too but this will only tell me the previous owner (me) and the title status.

Well the previous might be able to provide you info??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the previous might be able to provide you info??

I am the previous owner.
And on the report it just states date of sale and "private owner" with the state it is registered. There are third party websites but the sample reports still don't give names of owners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts