Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am just wondering about what would be a good first bike, I really want a streetfighter 848, but don't know if thats too much power? i grew up riding dirt bikes so i have some experience, and I'm not looking to go out and do 150mph or a bunch of wheelies or anything like that, i value my health and my investments because i realize this is an expensive bike. I just love the street fighter have for awhile and would just love to ride one, but also don't want to hurt myself, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
156 Posts
In no particular order:

Kawasaki EX250
Kawasaki EX300
Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Suzuki SV650
Honda CBR 250

I suggest buying an older Ninja 250, they can be had cheap, parts are everywhere, if you buy right you'll get your money back upon resale and ride it for a season. Then make a list of likes and dislikes about the bike. A full riding season later go shopping for a new bike a lot more educated.

Dirt expierence is great but its a world of difference on the street. + don't get hung up on 130+ horse power of the 848, you'll be wasting 75% of it 90% of the time on the street.

I had an 2009 848 and sold it to buy a 2012 Moto Guzzi V7R. The Guzzi is about 100 less HP but is 1000 time more fun to ride on the street.

Good luck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Buy whatever bike you like. Just be responsible and try to take a safety course, they really can save you. As far as starting small, i dont exactly agree. If youre not an idiot, there is no reason not to get a 600 or an 848. I started on a 600 after i took a safety course. Never raced, wheelied or stunted. Never even put a knee down. I just like the sport/superbike, the way they handle and ride. Good luck, be safe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I posted in your topic in the other thread but here is my opinion:

In my opinion, go with what you think you can handle. If you are responsible i.e. taking MSF, riding courses, and etc then go with the bike you want. There is nothing wrong with getting a bigger bike than...lets say 250 for your first bike.

Some will say..."that's CRAZY!! you will KILL yourself!!! etc etc." But that same guy never took MSF and Any riding course...or even wear proper protective gears...

Just be careful, take precaution, and have fun safely!

Reactions: Mr.Braddock

·
Registered
156 Posts
Buy whatever bike you like. Just be responsible and try to take a safety course, they really can save you. As far as starting small, i dont exactly agree. If youre not an idiot, there is no reason not to get a 600 or an 848. I started on a 600 after i took a safety course. Never raced, wheelied or stunted. Never even put a knee down. I just like the sport/superbike, the way they handle and ride. Good luck, be safe.
I agree but why limit yourself to a 600 or and 848! Why not get a 1199 or a 400hp N2O equipped busa? After all the throttle will limit how fast you will go.

To the OP do as you will its your money spend it how you will. But I can promise you will be a faster, better rider leaning to go fast on a slower more managable bike. Opposed to trying to ride something that can get you into trouble in the blink of an eye and keep it under control with little to no street expierence. Also I too recomment a MSF course, but it will hardly get you up to speed. You learn the basic motorcycle skills in a parking lot going a max of about 25 mph.

·
Registered
543 Posts
buy whatever bike you like. Just be responsible and try to take a safety course, they really can save you. As far as starting small, i dont exactly agree. If youre not an idiot, there is no reason not to get a 600 or an 848. I started on a 600 after i took a safety course. Never raced, wheelied or stunted. Never even put a knee down. I just like the sport/superbike, the way they handle and ride. Good luck, be safe.
+1

·
Registered
85 Posts
My first bike is a Monster 696 my wife got me for our anniversary this past July. I've put over 3500 miles on her. I've also picked up a Honda Magna V45, which I just got completely working, a Nighhawk 700S, and a CL360. I love the Monster, not just because it's the most reliable of the bunch, it's just got a better balance of speed, handling, gearing, and panache than the other three. The Magna should be interesting, though.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Hey everyone, I am just wondering about what would be a good first bike, I really want a streetfighter 848, but don't know if thats too much power? i grew up riding dirt bikes so i have some experience, and I'm not looking to go out and do 150mph or a bunch of wheelies or anything like that, i value my health and my investments because i realize this is an expensive bike. I just love the street fighter have for awhile and would just love to ride one, but also don't want to hurt myself, thanks everyone!
What size and power dirt bikes did you ride and how long since you rode them? My very first street bike was an 1100 Katana but I had just come from cross country racing 500cc dirtbikes so the big streeter was no problem.

If it has been many years since you have ridden I recommend you do a refresher course as other members have suggested. Riding skills get rusty quickly and if it's been a few years yours will be too. It sounds like you are sensible and the streetfighter is easier to manage than an all out superbike, so I would buy the streetfighter and do a skills refresher course on it. Then go steady for a while.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you're better off with a relatively small engined bike first, that way you have to learn how to get round a corner as you don't have a lot of power to play with on the exit, everyone I know who started with a fairly big bike, still rides the same now, cruises round the corners and blasts down the straights, better to get to grips with the handling first then learn the power later.

I was spoilt though, back then there were loads of 400's about, I started with an NC30, not as much choice now as a lot of classes have died out.

Just my personal opinion anyway, there'd be no point buying a bike you don't want.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are in control of the throttle. Wear gear, don't drive like a fool, and as others have said take the MSF. Don't ride beyond your limits. You can typically find those limits when that little voice says, "Holy F u ck, I need to slow down." Finally, if you're cruising through Cleveland hit me up :yo:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts