Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am just wondering about what would be a good first bike, I really want a streetfighter 848, but don't know if thats too much power? i grew up riding dirt bikes so i have some experience, and I'm not looking to go out and do 150mph or a bunch of wheelies or anything like that, i value my health and my investments because i realize this is an expensive bike. I just love the street fighter have for awhile and would just love to ride one, but also don't want to hurt myself, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm sure more people will jump in and give their opinions.

In my opinion, go with what you think you can handle. If you are responsible i.e. taking MSF, riding courses, and etc then go with the bike you want. There is nothing wrong with getting a bigger bike than...lets say 250 for your first bike.

Some will say..."that's CRAZY!! you will KILL yourself!!! etc etc." But that same guy never took MSF and Any riding course...or even wear proper protective gears...

Just be careful, take precaution, and have fun safely!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm sure more people will jump in and give their opinions.

In my opinion, go with what you think you can handle. If you are responsible i.e. taking MSF, riding courses, and etc then go with the bike you want. There is nothing wrong with getting a bigger bike than...lets say 250 for your first bike.

Some will say..."that's CRAZY!! you will KILL yourself!!! etc etc." But that same guy never took MSF and Any riding course...or even wear proper protective gears...

Just be careful, take precaution, and have fun safely!
X2

My first was a Katana 750>G1 'Busa>G2 Busa + 1198R. I, however, took the MSF Course and had off-road experience. It is still quite different on/off-road, so be careful in how you ride. See if any of your friends will let you ride theirs or if a dealer has a demo going on. My buddy posted an ad on CL and someone let him use his for cash.

GL :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Get what you want, my first bike back in the day was a CBR 900RR. Remember it wont go any faster than what you give it...lol. But in all seriousness as long as you are responsible and pay attention to what you are doing you will be fine.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I started on an 848evo and the streetfighter will be even easier to learn on because of the ergonomics. Just remember it can kill you at any second. Practice everything. Become a parking lot junkie late at night!

·
Registered
155 Posts
mr braddock go and buy what you want , i didnt ride for 20 years then got myself the 1198 sp , still have big chicken strips ,but i loved the ducati from the 916 , my two bobs worth , dont spend money on somthing you dont want , spend you money on some track days, and keep your ears open listen to the guys who can ride , you will learn more from those guys in a day than you ever will on your own , you will kill your self just as easy on a 250 if you dont know what your doing ,, 90 % of the time on the road it will be some ****whit who dose not see you , respect , your bike , respect you skill level , respect your right hand , if not you will end up in a whole world of pain ,,

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Garrett, you started on an 1198 you big fat liar! :)
Lol, 1198S! I know but I had it less than a year and it was stolen. Really I learned to ride and go to the track on the EVO. But thanks for keeping a brother honest! ;)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Oh yeah forgot about the video lol garret first bike advice is off limits for you! LMBO
I suppose I deserve some **** for that!! Lol

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you want an 848 streetfighter then get it. I always tell my junior Marines who start riding that self regulation is a bigger factor than what size your bike is (2 of my buddy's got monsters as soon as they got back, one '13 1100 diesel and an '06 s2r 1000, some of the most powerful monsters that have been made). Like everyone's been saying, take a proper riding course, don't skimp out on your gear and most importantly-check yourself before you wreck yourself. Keep us posted on what you end up getting.

Reactions: Mr.Braddock

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
I started on a 1986 Vespa Px 200 scooter:moped: with gears and clutch. old school vespa , not the new automatic rubbish.
Then I got bored and went to a 1098s.
The jump was no problem because the vespa was a much more difficult bike/ scootere to ride.
I now ride a 1198s and that's the easiest of the three for me.

Ps doing 4 years and ongoing of Trackschool also made my transitioning easier :eek:

·
Registered
144 Posts
My best friend bought his first bike---a Ducati Monster. He regrets his choice. He wishes he had purchased a motorcycle that had a fairing and windscreen. Best first bike? Any so called sweet spot motorcycle: 600cc-650cc engine, upright riding position, enough power for cruising in highway traffic. Find one used and cheap from Cycle Trader listings. Ride it for 6 to 12 months and then trade up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the post, from the looks of it just going ahead and getting it seems like the best choice, so thats what I'm gonna plan on doing! already figuring out when courses are available around me like a lot of you mentioned, thanks for all the help, ill make sure to post pictures of her this spring when i get it :naughty:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks everyone for the post, from the looks of it just going ahead and getting it seems like the best choice, so thats what I'm gonna plan on doing! already figuring out when courses are available around me like a lot of you mentioned, thanks for all the help, ill make sure to post pictures of her this spring when i get it :naughty:
Awesome!:yo:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts