Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Gents/ladies...

Hello from MD!

Definitely new to the forum, as well as the Duc-community. Just picked up a Pearl White 848, and all i can say is, gooooooooooood laaaaaaawwwd, this thing is sexy. Before I start posting questions, comments, etc., I'll make sure to read through ALL of the links in the FAQs section, so I don't ask redundant questions, dilute the forum with topics that have been beaten to the ground, and all that noise.

As I've mentioned before, I'm definitely new to the Ducati-World. Back in 2006/2007, I used to have a Yamaha R6s - Black Raven edition - for a couple of years. Loved every bit of it... While many state that you had to rev the living piss out of the R6s to get it to perform, and i agree somewhat to that sentiment, I had no issues with it; my car at the time was a RX8 - notoriously high RPM, low HP/TQ, so I was used to it... Unfortunately, due to some personal issues, I had to part ways with my beloved R6s after about 1.5 years of ownership. That was a very VERY sad day.

In any case, Ducati's have always been my dream bikes - they perform, look like sex on two wheels, and (imho) sound like no other... It's true, while i see Gixxers, R6's, CBR's on the regular, I rarely see Ducs on the road. Given that, every time I see a Duc pass by, I inevitably have to stop whatever I'm doing to admire these moving works of art. Some flying by with screaming exhausts -- well, music to my ears.

I (personally) do not know how reliable Ducati's are, nor do I have any idea how ridiculously expensive those maintenance schedules are going to be. All i hear is, those Ducati's are an arm and a leg to maintain, service, fix, etc. etc... I also often get, "while Ducati's are quite possibly the most high-performing bikes on the road (when they work), make sure you get two - one to ride, one for parts." Now, this is coming from my friends who have Jap bikes - and have only heard "horror" stories about Ducati's from their other riding buddies. Hearsay, i say!

Gents, I'm not hear to bash Ducati's... Absolutely not. That would go against every fiber in my body that has loved Ducati's ever since I've seen them as a little kid... I've never EVER ridden a Duc before I picked up my 848 - and still maintained such a lust for them. Test-riding the 848 sealed the deal for me, and further fueled my love for these Italian beasts...

I'm looking forward to this "love/hate" relationship, and understand that for high-performance vehicles, you need to PAY TO PLAY. There's really no way around this.

Overall, I'm very excited about becoming a contributing member to this community.

Some details about the bike:
2009 Pearl White 848
Currently at 3155 miles
Mods: ASV levers, GP shift kit, GPR (Scotts?) Steering Damper -- started install, need to finish.

Future Mods: Exhaust - not sure if I'll go slip-on or full. I'm very attracted to the look of the TOCE Quad, but also like Akrapovic. Suggestions welcome please!

I also need to get a new upper/nose... The seller dropped the bike on himself, and ended up cracking/breaking the mirror portion of the upper. It's currently held on by zip ties - and it breaks my heart to see such a beaut with zip ties!!! Any recommendations on where I can get the front nose and mounting bracket would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time, Gents/Ladies! Safe riding, and happy modding!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!
On Exhaust for 848's it's better to stick with slip on's the gain of HP Vs the full is not that much taking in consideration the investment and also I don’t think you will race it on any professional level were the 100's of 1000's of a sec. makes a difference.
On the nose keep following the for sale section sometimes there are plastic parts and you can find a better deal; if not then check fleabay. You can get a carbon nose and then paint it over with a number plate design or a rally stripe, it will look sick with the color of your bike. White is the perfect color to dress it with carbon bits, they stand out better IMO.
Make yourself acquainted with the bike Ducati rides different than any other so you need some adjustments in the ridding style.
Also get someone to dial in the suspension to your weigh it will make a world of difference.
Be safe and Enjoy !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rigs, thanks brother... Great insight there. Thanks for the heads up on the exhausts... I'm not planning to track my bike or race it, so in my case, a good slip-on seems to be the way to go - and you've confirmed that :)

As for the adjustments and tuning, definitely on my to-do list!

One thing I need to do when i go in to "service" is get my ecu tuned... I've been researching the stalling-issue, and it seems this is a pretty common problem. The seller let me know that Ducati's don't like cold weather - and he wasn't kidding. When i took delivery of the bike a couple of weeks ago, it was probably 40-degrees. Well, my 848 motor doesn't want to idle in cold weather. Once i start the bike and the motor kicks, i have to keep the motor at around 3-4kRPM for a minute or so until the motor got a little warmer and a temperature registers on the gauge. Once there's a temperature on the gauge, no issues w/ the motor idling...

Overall, I'm looking forward to learning more about the bike, and doing all the cosmetic and bolt-on mods myself. Haven't been this excited about anything in quite some time, so it's definitely a new passion. I just wish I can keep this bike in my living room so I can stare at it all day :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
welcome!! i got the slip ons and love it! I'm in NoVA so might be close enough if u want to come check it out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rigs/Juny, thanks for the warm welcome...

Juny, I'm likely going to take you up on that offer :). But, not anytime soon... Got some other things i want to figure out first -- finish installing the steering damper, and get a new nose/upper so I don't have to see those damn zip ties anymore. I also want to check out your modded B7!! Any pictures of that beast?

Picture below on the broken nose/upper... I'm jerking a tear as I see this picture :(

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Just picked mine up a month ago after riding a CBR600rr for years. I get a ton of gawkers every time I ride her. Ducati's are the bikes that biker's gawk at, so you'll enjoy the occasion person coming up to you at the light in their yamaha's or honda that compliment you on your bike. The difference in riding twins was really noticeable for me. Especially the way the power comes on; very smooth and consistent, which I liked a lot.

Slip on Termi's will be the setup I will go with (price and sound). Akra's have a great sound too, but they're loads of money. If you have it though... Akra's.

From what I've gathered, they're not "ridiculously expensive to maintain", they do cost more than the jap bikes, but an oil change every 3k miles or 12 months, and a 800-1000 service every 2 years or every 7500 miles isn't a whole lot of money.

It's worth it to make sure you're safe, and that your investment is protected.

Have fun out there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the new bike! Just picked mine up a month ago after riding a CBR600rr for years. I get a ton of gawkers every time I ride her. Ducati's are the bikes that biker's gawk at, so you'll enjoy the occasion person coming up to you at the light in their yamaha's or honda that compliment you on your bike. The difference in riding twins was really noticeable for me. Especially the way the power comes on; very smooth and consistent, which I liked a lot.

Slip on Termi's will be the setup I will go with (price and sound). Akra's have a great sound too, but they're loads of money. If you have it though... Akra's.

From what I've gathered, they're not "ridiculously expensive to maintain", they do cost more than the jap bikes, but and oil change every 3k miles or 12 months, and a 800-1000 service every 2 years or every 7500 miles isn't a whole lot of money.

It's worth it to make sure you're safe, and that your investment is protected.

Have fun out there.
Steven, great info, brother. I've been looking at Termi's and Akrapovics - they're both in a similar price range. Give or take a couple hundred bucks... I'm basing my prices off of ebay. Shopping for exhausts is a bit tough - youtube sound clips never do any proper justice, and i rarely see any Ducs in my area.

As for the service fees/intervals, that's really not that bad - at all. Yes, good chunk of change, but a "small" price to pay to have your baby healthy!

Lots of love on this forum... Love it.

Really appreciate the warm welcome, guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Rigs/Juny, thanks for the warm welcome...

Juny, I'm likely going to take you up on that offer :). But, not anytime soon... Got some other things i want to figure out first -- finish installing the steering damper, and get a new nose/upper so I don't have to see those damn zip ties anymore. I also want to check out your modded B7!! Any pictures of that beast?

Picture below on the broken nose/upper... I'm jerking a tear as I see this picture :(

hit me up when u want to check her out!

got a few pics here and there, if you're on Audizine my username is drumnjuny. i'm in the b7 section a lot

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hit me up when u want to check her out!

got a few pics here and there, if you're on Audizine my username is drumnjuny. i'm in the b7 section a lot
Sounds like a plan! Thanks, bud!

Saw some of your posts on Audizine; you do it right :). Not an Audi-owner myself, but always appreciate fine german machines. Unlike your B7, my 3-series only LOOKS fast - hahaha... This 848 should satisfy my need for (controlled) speed :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
haha thanks for the compliment. honestly i just use AZ to dick around at work, and help people where i can. a few of us big turbo guys are pretty tight and i just moved here from CO where the audi scene was ... no nice way to put it, less douchey. haha.

but i think that might just be a colorado vs. DMV difference :D i grew up here so i was not taken aback by people generally being less interested in helping anyone else out (heaven forbid for free lol)

oh also this pig will never be fast lol. but its pretty fun riding a single turbo torque curve.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have termi slip ons on my bike and the sound is amazing as well as the looks. Personally, I'd go with termis if I had a redo. On another note, I'm from philadelphia which is not far away.

PS rx8 is my daily

welcome to the forum and from my experience, haven't met a single duc guy I didn't like

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What area of MD? I'm in the Frederick area.
It seems all the riders are out in DMV. I'm in Baltimore County - up in the country by Loch Raven Reservoir.

haha thanks for the compliment. honestly i just use AZ to dick around at work, and help people where i can. a few of us big turbo guys are pretty tight and i just moved here from CO where the audi scene was ... no nice way to put it, less douchey. haha.

but i think that might just be a colorado vs. DMV difference :D i grew up here so i was not taken aback by people generally being less interested in helping anyone else out (heaven forbid for free lol)

oh also this pig will never be fast lol. but its pretty fun riding a single turbo torque curve.
Dude, i hear you on that man... The bimmer scene is NY (where I'm originally from) is douchier than all hell... On the flip side, the bimmer community (and car clubs) here in MD are phenomenal. Instead of a bunch of stuck up dbags, we've got folks who are willing to lend garages out to fellow enthusiasts, help with various installs, etc...

As for that big turbo, big balls man. Custom Mods = custom problems.

I have termi slip ons on my bike and the sound is amazing as well as the looks. Personally, I'd go with termis if I had a redo. On another note, I'm from philadelphia which is not far away.

PS rx8 is my daily

welcome to the forum and from my experience, haven't met a single duc guy I didn't like
Based on feedback, it seems the Termi exhausts are the most popular - by far. Will be looking more into them. Thanks for the insight guys.

Philly - maybe 1.5 hours? Looking forward to some meets once the weather starts getting warmer. Seems like it'll be an eternity...

As for the RX8, what year did you get? I got the very first shipment stateside, and wow were there recalls. It seems I was in the dealership every 2 weeks...

But, when i didn't have issues with the car, I thought it was more fun than my friend's s2k - granted, I had heavily modded the suspension on the se3p. That rotary likes to scream, but it's also thirsty - i remember having to add a QT of oil every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the warm welcome gents!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It seems all the riders are out in DMV. I'm in Baltimore County - up in the country by Loch Raven Reservoir.

Dude, i hear you on that man... The bimmer scene is NY (where I'm originally from) is douchier than all hell... On the flip side, the bimmer community (and car clubs) here in MD are phenomenal. Instead of a bunch of stuck up dbags, we've got folks who are willing to lend garages out to fellow enthusiasts, help with various installs, etc...

As for that big turbo, big balls man. Custom Mods = custom problems.

Based on feedback, it seems the Termi exhausts are the most popular - by far. Will be looking more into them. Thanks for the insight guys.

Philly - maybe 1.5 hours? Looking forward to some meets once the weather starts getting warmer. Seems like it'll be an eternity...

As for the RX8, what year did you get? I got the very first shipment stateside, and wow were there recalls. It seems I was in the dealership every 2 weeks...

But, when i didn't have issues with the car, I thought it was more fun than my friend's s2k - granted, I had heavily modded the suspension on the se3p. That rotary likes to scream, but it's also thirsty - i remember having to add a QT of oil every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the warm welcome gents!

I'm always looking for new riding buddies. Specifically track buddies :D

My RX is an 09, so Series 2. Haven't had many issues with it since I bought it other than engine coolant sensor going kaput (replacement of the reservoir would fix it) funny kick about that is "it is possible that a little clip on the radiator may break, and if it does break we would need to replace the whole radiator and that's another ~500". Secondly, I had the engine flooded twice, took hours to get the car started; both of the times it wasn't me who flooded it.

As for the oil, she does drink oil, maybe a QT every 1k miles. Haven't put a big burden on me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
get toce you won't regret, i have it on my 1098s and it look good and sound awesome
Thanks for the follow up on this... As much as I like how the quads on the Toce look, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on them. I still love how they look and sound, but the general feedback that I received was that the piping work is subpar on Toce units... Now, i understand this is heresay because I don't actually have the unit, but wanted to play it safe.

I ended up buying a set of the earlier model Termig slip ons... However, got that mod-itch, and always wanted Akrapovics (on my car), so I pulled the trigger on a set of Akrapovic slip ons as well. Will be posting pictures and comparisons of the exhausts once the weather starts getting warmer. I still have stockers on now (winterized), but plan to slap on those Termis for a few months - and replace with Akraps once it starts getting hot.

I'm always looking for new riding buddies. Specifically track buddies :D

My RX is an 09, so Series 2. Haven't had many issues with it since I bought it other than engine coolant sensor going kaput (replacement of the reservoir would fix it) funny kick about that is "it is possible that a little clip on the radiator may break, and if it does break we would need to replace the whole radiator and that's another ~500". Secondly, I had the engine flooded twice, took hours to get the car started; both of the times it wasn't me who flooded it.

As for the oil, she does drink oil, maybe a QT every 1k miles. Haven't put a big burden on me.
Oh man, that's bringing back stories... Engine oil every 1k doesn't seem to bad... I think i was putting in a qt every 2-3 weeks lol. That car was a blast to drive, but i learned the hard way to never get a 1st model release car - let alone the first shipment into the US. I do miss it... just not the service/recall appointments every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Thanks for the follow up on this... As much as I like how the quads on the Toce look, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on them. I still love how they look and sound, but the general feedback that I received was that the piping work is subpar on Toce units... Now, i understand this is heresay because I don't actually have the unit, but wanted to play it safe.

I ended up buying a set of the earlier model Termig slip ons... However, got that mod-itch, and always wanted Akrapovics (on my car), so I pulled the trigger on a set of Akrapovic slip ons as well. Will be posting pictures and comparisons of the exhausts once the weather starts getting warmer. I still have stockers on now (winterized), but plan to slap on those Termis for a few months - and replace with Akraps once it starts getting hot.

Oh man, that's bringing back stories... Engine oil every 1k doesn't seem to bad... I think i was putting in a qt every 2-3 weeks lol. That car was a blast to drive, but i learned the hard way to never get a 1st model release car - let alone the first shipment into the US. I do miss it... just not the service/recall appointments every 2 weeks.

There are a ton of speculations of another RX release. Should be interesting to see if it does pan out. I love the fact that ,y car is different and doesn't have Pistons. Fun to talk about with others. "How many cylinders do you have; v4 or v6?" "Zero :D"

Although, I'd love to get my hands on the FD Rx7 and have it is my project car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are a ton of speculations of another RX release. Should be interesting to see if it does pan out. I love the fact that ,y car is different and doesn't have Pistons. Fun to talk about with others. "How many cylinders do you have; v4 or v6?" "Zero :D"

Although, I'd love to get my hands on the FD Rx7 and have it is my project car.
I definitely hear that man - lol! But then, when other gearheads who actually know some stuff about mazdas chime in, and respond with - well, how's that 1.8 liter? :violin:
Then, it's the... well, can your car hit that 10-11k redline? hahahahah... and the shut-up game starts all over again.

All in all, that car is a blast around twisties. It's just a shame that it's so difficult to pull any power out of that car; hence, my greddy turbo installs and ultimate motor failure... was definitely a sad day indeed. Custom mods = custom problems...

Project FD... most definitely, man. But, finding a decent FD is like finding a needle in a ridiculous haystack. FC- plenty- but doesn't have nearly the sex appeal as the FD!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts