Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I helped my dad find and buy a 2000 996 Biposto that is a one owner bike with 527 miles on it. I have read a bunch about these bikes and am trying to help him determine what maintinence needs to be done.

The bike is all original and lived its whole life garaged. Tires aren't dry rotted at all and are still very sticky with no noticible wear. So, the tires are all set. I know that the belts should be done and he is looking into the cost of this being done by a dealer. The valves should be fine as it hasn't even been broken in yet. I am not sure if the rockers fail this early on but would want that checked out. Obviously an oil change as well.

We plan on this bike being in the family forever so I am considering learning the belt change myself but until we know what a dealer is going to charge, we don't know if it makes sense.

Any other things that I should be looking out for in terms of maintinence?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Congratulations on a very stunning looking bike. Despite changing all the fluids, I certainly wouldn't run 15 years old tires...dry rotted or not. The $250 it takes to replaces them is certainly way cheaper than anything repair...be it motorcycle or your bones.

Additional maintenance need depends a lot on how it was stored...

·
Registered
86 Posts
In Australia I've been quoted $200AUD for purchase of belts and about $600AUD for minor service ( Oil and filter etc..) including labour to change the belts. And that's considered an "OK price"... apparently.... :-S

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Any other things that I should be looking out for in terms of maintinence?
Anything & everything covered here - Ducati Points to Watch For

When you start riding it I'd keep a close eye on those cush drive rubbers.

Buy some new quick connects for the fuel fittings under the tank. OEM or steel ones.
They will probably break the first time you remove the tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice bike guy. I recently just bought 01 996s, 800 miles garage queen. I would recommend changing the belts, all fluids, tires and spark plugs. Thats what was recommended to me as a first Ducati owner myself.

goodluck..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is definitely going to get the belts changed as well as the fluids. Good heads up on the fuel connection for removing the tank, I suspect the dealer will take care of this but will let him know to expect it on the bill.. He is going to see how the tires feel when it is more than 20 out but as I said, they look and feel like a new tire. Rubber is soft and looks new. If there is any concerns the rubber will get replaced. Plugs would be another good one to take care of. I bet they have seen some moisture from storage and they are not expensive.
Thanks for the help and congrats! He is off trying to find a 45mm carbon slip on now. Hasn't even ridden it yet and already wants to modify it. Crazy parents..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would definitely go change all the fluids, including radiator...Change the Tires also, Change the Belts. Treat carefully during the first couple hundred miles...

Went thru the same thing... with a 1098R... Ended up having to replace all the Master Cylinders for the Front / Rear Brake, Rear Brake Caliper, Front Calipers Rebuilt, and Clutch Master Cylinder, and Clutch Slave. Bike only had 128miles on it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts