Ducati.org forum banner

First Ducati?

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  garylkendall 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 2002 998 local to me. Bike had 15,000 miles, but has been adult owned and maintained. The bike sat for the last year, but the timing belt and valves were done in the spring of 2012, about 500 miles ago. The bike has never been down and is clean overall, but definitely not a show bike. Ferracci pipes and a power commander are the only mods. They are looking for $5300. Thoughts?

#8 · (Edited)
5300 is real cheap for a any 998 even in a fixer condition. it is a 998 and not a 748 with 998 fairings right, cant tell from the pics easy to miss if you dont know your ducatis. a quick way to tell it the 998 has an oil cooler under the radiator where the 748 only has a screen mesh to cover the hole. got any pics of the front showing the inner fairings. can tell a 998 from a 748 by the head sticking out. have seen a few people try to pass off 748's as 998's before. if its a 998 its a great price, but if its really a 748 its a rip off.

#15 ·
Very happy with the bike. It runs well, but did stall a few time as I came off throttle to a stop. It started right back up each time, but might need a little tuning. It is a physically hot bike to ride, but the riding position for me was otherwise quite comfortable. It definitely is not a bike to ride in stop and go traffic. It came with a bunch of service records and even the original spare key with the number plate. It looks like most of the early work on the bike was done at Fast By Ferracci in PA. The folder also had a dyno sheet showing 126 HP and 76 ft-lbs. I can't wait to get more time in the saddle! Brand T-shirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.