Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm about to make my first Ducati purchase and looking for some help. I've been in love with the 916 since I first seen one back in the mid 90s. Ive come to a time in my life were I can get one now. Looking at a 2001 996, from the info the seller provided with video and pics the Vin's say that it is an "S" model, now usually it's represented with an S on the Mono posto..correct? The gentleman who owns it says he's the second owner, knew the first owner and says its never been dropped, has all the documents for dealer service and so on..does anyone know by looking at the engine codes what it might be?

frame: ZDM1SB5T61B011463
engine: SB51015542

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
564 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm not too sure if the 996 is the same, but I know on a 2001 748s what makes it differ from the base is the 5 spoke marchesini wheels as opposed to the tri spoke wheels, dzus fasteners as well as a higher spec showa suspension, in addition to what you mentioned the "s" on the tail. Post some pics up when you pull the trigger!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and a warm welcome guys.

The bike has the 5 spoked rims, Showa front end with the gold plating, rear Ohlins shock and confirm today with dealer that the engine and frame numbers match. also contacted dealership its was originally bought from and the service guy ran the Vin's he also confirm its had all of its servicing done up to date. it has 19000km on it and the belts and valves were done at 12000km. I'm picking it up this weekend and at the age of 45....I feel giddy like I did when I bought my very first bike 25 years ago...

...4 more sleeps..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, confirms its an "S" model.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That sound like a good bike, especially if it's previous owner was a mech. They will run like a tractor and be reliable if you stay up on the maint. Things to watch are:

1. In tank fuel lines can split and leave you stranded (best to replace and service the filter); also plastic nut at fuel sending unit can crack, they make a nice aluminum replacement, get one.

2. under seat fuel pump relays have tendency to fail (look up part numbers and buy couple spares at NAPA), take along on all rides....

3. Change oil every 2k

4. Let her warm up 3-5 minutes before riding when cold, extends life of rocker arms.

That's it!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Great Historical Bikes!

Great buy brother!
I made ALOT of money selling those suckers back in the day man, and then of course the 998 too! Tons of torque waiting for you there man! How about posting some pics of it for us? Love to see what you are getting yourself into on this man, sounds like you have a good eye for history with the 916 and all too! :)

I am all about doing as much maintenance one can do yourself but not sold on the idea of 2-3k mile oil changes NOVADUC? It sure can't hurt if ya have the cash to do it but no real reason to if one is running a high quality grade synthetic oil ya know? Iv'e had Dukes going all the way back to the 96' 900SS/SP Supersport here and this beast pulled like a friggin freight train with its 2 valve Desmoduo power plant! Thats a 998 custom painted up I had for awhile too with Larry Pegram and Marty Scribner from Ducati Dallas / AMS.

Welcome to the forum and wide world of Ducati "TwistTheGrip!" and if I can be any help to ya on anything at all shoot me a PM for some sweet resources too! :D

Gunny

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow guys, thanks so much!

Novaduc..those tip you gave me are an amazing fast forward, will come in handy.

Gunny..beauty pics, love it! My wife and I are heading out this weekend to pick her up. I will definitely take some pics and be happy to share them with you boys!!

Cheers,
M

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well. I have brought the bike home and still have to peak out to the garage still in disbelief that I finally own one of the most beautiful motorcycles ever made. I have put on about 500km in total so far and absolutely love the feel, sound, and over all performance of the bike. I hope my upload of pics worked out for you lads to look at...See you guys at the GP in Indianapolis this weekend!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
SWEET !!!!!

Looks like its in great shape and wishing you sincere congratulations on finally getting the bike you have wanted so long! There is no doubt that the older model bikes have some sort of draw to them which speaks wonders. I'd actually love to get my hands on a 916 just to have since it was what started the whole Superbike process for Ducati and the regular public!

Stay safe and best of fun with it. If you ever need anything for it shoot me a PM! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.