Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola... I got my first Ducati yesterday. I've owned many bikes and ridden several Ducatis, but never owned one. I think I've wanted a Hypermotard since I first saw one at the motorcycle show in 2007. Yesterday I picked up a 2012 matte black 796 with only 1600 miles on the clock. It's been raining ever since I got it home - I think Thursday I'll be able to give it a good run. It appears to be bone stock. I'll be poking around the forum to see if there is anything I want to tinker with. I'll put up some pictures soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Congrats! Like you, I fell in love with them in 2008 when I took a test ride on one when they just came out. I finally picked up a leftover 2012 back in the summer of 2013 for a good price. I loved mine when I first got it but always felt like it was missing something. I splurged and got the S rear Ohlins shock, Andreani forks, and Zard exhaust and it became totally a different beast, the handling being the most significant. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten the 1100 for the overall money I've spent on the 796; however, it's still an awesome bike. Enjoy it and let us know how it goes. There doesn't seem to be too many 796 owners on this forum these days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tokyo!
Love it love it love it. 600 miles on it so far. I can't believe someone had it for 3 years and only put 1600 on it.
Just made a rookie mistake though. Changed the oil because who knows when the break-in service was done. And yep, put a little too much oil in (only 3L). Oh, it's perfect and right on the line when it is leaned over just a hair. But perfectly straight up, the glass is full. I tried to put a tube down there and siphon some out, but wasn't able to reach down far enough I guess. I suppose I'll loosen the drain bolt and try to let out a little unless anyone has a better idea.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Spin off the oil filter and drain the oil captured in the filter. Reinstall, run for a minute, check oil sight. Repeat until you're happy.

Thanks Tokyo!
Love it love it love it. 600 miles on it so far. I can't believe someone had it for 3 years and only put 1600 on it.
Just made a rookie mistake though. Changed the oil because who knows when the break-in service was done. And yep, put a little too much oil in (only 3L). Oh, it's perfect and right on the line when it is leaned over just a hair. But perfectly straight up, the glass is full. I tried to put a tube down there and siphon some out, but wasn't able to reach down far enough I guess. I suppose I'll loosen the drain bolt and try to let out a little unless anyone has a better idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, thanks for the tip! Wasn't sure if that would let too much spill... Headed out of town tomorrow for a few days but will try that this weekend and report my findings!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.