Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my first race weekend with CCS at Blackhawk Farms. It was my first time at the track also. Weather didn't really help at first because it rained Saturday morning so I skipped the first 2 sessions, being on slicks, and the 3rd session I took it really easy just to learn the track plus it was still wet in most areas. In the afternoon it cleared up and managed to get a few practice sessions in to get more familiar with the track, and also 2 practice sessions Sunday morning. I have mixed feelings about Blackhawk...it can be a fun track, but it's very technical, and very narrow (only 20 feet wide I think...the same as a 2 lane road). It takes a while to get to go fast there, and I was nowhere near the pace of the guys that go there all the time. Nevertheless, I did 2 races: Rookies Cup, and Super Twins.

First one was rookies cup, and I had a terrible start. They put me on the front row, and by the time we went into T1, I was probably in 8th or so. I had never done a practice start before. That was the first time :eek:. In Rookies Cup they put all classes together (Unlimited, Middleweight, Lightweight), it's all for amateurs who have raced for less than 1 year. Needless to say, I got 10th overall out of 17, but was last in my class :(

Super Twins on the other hand was better. I had a better start, though I still wheelied all the way to T1 :eek:...but at least it was better than before. I ended up getting 2nd in class (amateurs) and 5th overall from a grid of 5 experts and 4 amateurs. But the race was really fun because I was battling with an RC8 and an SV the entire time, and once I figured out where I was faster than them and where I was slower, I ran a defensive line on the last lap so the SV guy wouln't pass me where he typically did, and I passed the KTM on the 2nd to last turn of the race. Even better was the fact that I improved my lap times by a little over 2 seconds from what I was doing in practice. In fact, my slowest lap in the race was a bit faster than my previous fastest lap was in the practice sessions! Amazing what a bit of competition can do to improve your times. Everyone told me that racing is the best way to get quicker, and they were absolutely right!

I'm really bummed my GoPro got screwed up or something, and didn't record any of it. Would've been a good one to re-watch later on :(

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D Awesome! You're officially HOOKED! :D
In a way...not as much as you might think. I'm realizing how outrageously expensive it is, and it is a bit demoralizing to see how many fast guys are out there, and how much faster they are!

Reactions: 219R and WERA689

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU!!! You sound pumped,.... as you should be, I am very happy for you!!
Next purchase should be a Linear Link, will help out with the wheelie problem..... what final gear ratio
were you using??

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GOOD FOR YOU!!! You sound pumped,.... as you should be, I am very happy for you!!
Next purchase should be a Linear Link, will help out with the wheelie problem..... what final gear ratio
were you using??
No, the next purchase will be stiffer springs. Apparently either Dan Kyle was off on his suggestion, or I underestimated my weight, but my front is as soft as a pillow, and I bottomed out the forks again at the end of the straight. Luckily I made the turn this time, even with my ass in the air :D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just breezed thru this as I am headed out the door for yet another medical treatment and simply wanted to say CONGRATS to you Rubbish on your first Club Racing track time my man!! Now you will certainly be addicted and hooked for good dude!

More to follow later from an old broken down CCS member himself. I bet the entry fees have tripled from I used to do this! Get some sponsor stickers on the bike and put in for everything you can to help with those fees buddy. Tires and entry fees are whats gonna hurt each weekend you go out on these. Lemme know if I can help out in any way - short of paying your entry fees for you RUBBISH! :)

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Might need 10cc more fluid....if the springs are correct...yeah bottoming out the forks @the end of the straight, and lifting the rear wheel is "Pucker Power Zone"!!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Nice Track!

Congrats rub! I'll be in your shoes this weekend at summit main!
Summit Main is one of the better tracks around us here 182, until you head south to VIR and see what a SUPER nice place it is! Get yourself one of the suites over the awesome garages reserved for yourself ASAP since they are truly worth every cent and so are those garages-which you used to be able to eat off the floor they were so clean!

If possible get a couple guys to go in on the garages with you since they are also worth it too!
The unreal connection I used to have for the suites is unfortunately no longer working there, but most of the staff at VIR is really great to work with. But for now concentrate on Summit and get your head in the game brother!

As for Summit, pray it doesnt Rain hard there this weekend as that place is literally a river in an unreal downpour! Hey, its Memorial Day weekend isn't it?
Maybe I'll take a ride up and watch some of you guys out there! Post a photo of your bike showing the number plate so we can all see it please?

Best wishes to you, have a blast, and remember what I tell everyone I know who is headed out for some of their first race days - BREATHE !!!! :drummer:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
All I can say about VIR, is that it is on another level in terms of the facility. I have stayed in a suite over the front straight one time and it was well worth it. The garage there was nice also. I felt like a pro rider and it was just a track day! Enough about me, this thread is about Rub, and his first race weekend!!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Congrats Rub! NOW you know why it's addicting and henceforth bank-account draining. LOL :D

Sounds like you had fun and did very well for a beginner.

Starts are one of the easiest things to get down, just gotta practice and when your a good starter, the pack needs to pass YOU, not the other way around, which makes life SO much easier.

Setting your mind on a goal and achieving that, is what creates better lap times. When you're racing, you wanna pass the guy in front of you, so you attempt to ride at their speed if you can. This can make you a quicker rider for sure, but racing doesn't automatically make you quicker. It can push your level slightly, especially as a beginner, but once you get more advanced, there are other road blocks which inhibit growth. So… LOVE this moment your at right now, it's absolutely the most fun you'll have racing.

·
Administrator
2,963 Posts
The most exciting race I ever had was at Roebling Road, and was for 9th and 10th place! We were back and forth for the entire 10 laps, and I got pipped at the line, taking 10th by half a bike length, side by side. I was NEVER so jazzed after a race than I was after that one! I ran over to the other guy's pit to shake his hand on a great race, and he stunned me, saying "man, I've been trying to catch you for 3 years...I finally did! Me and my buddy have had the goal of 'beating ponytail' since we started! You still beat him." :D

You know...thinking about that now....I think that may be what Tye is missing sometimes.....

REVEL IN THE RACE, NO MATTER WHERE IN THE PACK IT IS.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You know...thinking about that now....I think that may be what Tye is missing sometimes.....
Yep, it's true! I'm like Casey Stoner and Jorge Lorenzo in that, I enjoy being out front, doing my own thing. The disruption of passing people, isn't as much fun for me. Give me open track, someone on my tail pushing me to go faster and I'm the happiest person on the planet. :)

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
The most exciting race I ever had was at Roebling Road
Ah, Roebling Road,.. of All the tracks I have raced on, crossed on, won on (very very seldom).... Roebling is my absolute, no doubt about it, Favorite.... first time I went there was in 1977, last time was in March, 2015.... it is like an annual rite of spring!! When I die, I asked my wife to spread some of my ashes @ Roebling, at the entrance to turn one, at the end of a 5100 foot straight that you come onto in 4th gear!!! Separates the men from the boy-toys.......

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.