Ducati.org forum banner

first time riding my new 1098

5K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  La Rossa 
#1 · (Edited)
I only had 2 hours to ride today. I rode my new 1098 for about 75 miles. Even at a relatively moderate pace, never exceeding 6,000 rpm, I can feel the power of the beast. It feels so powerful, so light, compared to my previous bike, a BMW R1200S. The stance definitely feels more sportier than my previous bike, but, with the Helibars, it wasn't too bad. I think I am going to wait a little bit more to see if I wanted to get the Speedymoto triple clamp. For a stock exhaust, it sounds so good that I won't be in a hurry to get the Arrows. I also used to have a 2006 Monster S2r 1000 with a full Arrow exhaust. The stock 1098's exhaust sounds very close to my Monster.

Only thing I find a little bit of a worry was the difficutly in starting the bike. It took me about 4 tries before the bike started in the morning. Also, at about 70 miles, the fuel light lit up. I was taking it easy with the bike. I filled up right away and I only put in 1.5 gallons! Are these normal?

I love this bike! A lot of pictures to follow when the weather/scenery gets better.

Oh, when I stopped at a strip mall to take a short break, a guy in a pickup came over and said that he just bought a new GSXR1000 6 months ago. He was gushing at my red missile.

See less See more
#6 ·
Mine always takes a little bit to start in the cold weather. Once it is warmed up or if it is warm outside it will start right away. I tend to give it just a tad of throttle when starting it in the cold when its been sitting. It says you aren't suppost to give throttle in the manual but when i do this it starts up right away no problem. I kinda questioned if it has to do with requiring 93 octane but i can only get 91 octane in ca and the dealer said that was fine. I don't know how that would effect it?

#7 ·
Your right about the sound of the stock exhaust, best I’ve ever heard for a stock setup!

As far as the starts go for me, when the bike is cold it takes to pushes of the start and I think maybe it needed 3. I would say you have not much to worry about only if it is taking 4 pushes of the starter when the bike is already hot.

Jason

#8 ·
Really? Mine has never failed to fire right up first time even when cold. Just stab the button, take the hand away and watch the magic. One or two engine revolutions (two to five thumps) and vrooom.

#9 ·
When cold, mine will take 1-2 pushes of the starter button. I think, once, it took 3 pushes so it seems normal. But, if I'm riding the bike everyday and/or it's warmed up, it'll start with only one push.

As for the stock cans, I concur. In fact, they sounded so good I thought I didn't need the Termis...well, I broke down and bought the slip-ons at my 600 mile servce and, let me tell you, they sound SOOO GOOD! :D

#10 ·
Yeah I would say on an average mine takes one or two pushes of the starter if the bike has not been started within’ 24 hours or longer. I still think I may have had to push it three times once, maybe not though...

Jason

#11 ·
Visitor Q said:
Yeah I would say on an average mine takes one or two pushes of the starter if the bike has not been started within’ 24 hours or longer. I still think I may have had to push it three times once, maybe not though...

Jason
+1

One to two attempts. If it hasn't been run in a couple days, probably two 70% of the time...otherwise, one.

#18 ·
That's good to hear...I'm curious how many times it'll take to start mine come April.
axntrance said:
i've heard from my friend and the dealer, using 93 Octane is actually bad for your bike. something about the oil build up, i am not a mechanic, but i've been using regular and the bike runs perfect. I've actually heard from this older guy i that i ride with, he just did some cleaning up and because of the 93 octane he got all this build up somewhere. So i would suggest not using 93 octane for ur bike.
Yep, I run 87 octane in mine for this very reason. This happened to my tech's 749R when he ran 1 or 2 tanks of 91. Ever since, he recommends 87.

#16 ·
never had any worries starting mine at all (hot or cold ) read about starter probs on early models, rang my dealer to find if mine was an affected model , and he said no but bring it in and he,ll change out starter, flywheel etc on warranty. after talking to nvg2 decided to do it before warranty runs out. havnt noticed any difference with new parts except when bike is real hot it spins up a bit quicker

#17 ·
i've heard from my friend and the dealer, using 93 Octane is actually bad for your bike. something about the oil build up, i am not a mechanic, but i've been using regular and the bike runs perfect. I've actually heard from this older guy i that i ride with, he just did some cleaning up and because of the 93 octane he got all this build up somewhere. So i would suggest not using 93 octane for ur bike.

#20 · (Edited)
Just a quick note on petrol,

Petrol's octane rating is a measurement of the fuel's ability to resist engine knocking. Knock occurs when the fuel-air mix in the cylinder explodes instead of burning in a controlled way. This shockwave moves within the combustion chamber, and creates a metallic 'pinging' sound.

An octane rating is often referred to as an 'anti-knock index'. If fuel has a high octane number, it will have a higher resistance to engine knocking.

Octane Numbers

Usually, there are three different octane numbers associated with all petrols. Petrol's Research Octane Number (RON) is measured under simple test conditions. Petrol's Motor Octane Number (MON) is measured under tougher test conditions and at higher engine speed and temperature.

The average of these two values is what becomes related closer to actual driving conditions. This value is known as the Road Octane Number, and is what should be used in filling stations.

Occasionally, some filling stations will confuse these different octane numbers in a bid to embellish on their octane rating claims, and advertise their fuel's Research Octane Number, which is higher than the Road Octane Number. In many European countries, the Research Octane Number is advertised on pumps, so a much higher octane value is common when travelling in certain countries.

So for you that worry about octane values..
In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

In a nutshell its almost the same :D 93 Octane = 98 ron

#21 ·
Heck, I've been mixing 94 with 100 octane on a 50/50
ratio, between the smell or racing fuel, the power and the termis, I hate to come back home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.