Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys it's that time of the season when track prep is coming. I've never done a track day before and I can't wait! Just trying to get an idea of everything I will need to bring ahead of time for my first couple times going out. First what should I bring gear wise besides the obvious leathers, boots gloves and helmet. What should I bring for the bike? Tools, stands, fuel, extra fluids, spill kit of some sort for pit area? And what do I need to do for my bike prep wise. Do I need to safety wire anything besides my oil drain plug and filter for a beginner track day? I'm trying to create a useful check list and check off each item before I go each time.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
^yep, that pretty much nailed it. Everything in red you must/should have. The stuff in black bold, highly recommended. The other stuff, optional, but nice to have. You'll soon find that the more you go, the more shit you'll take with you. I started off with just the stuff in red plus water, cash, wallet of course, and decent tires. Now I'm up to at least 75% of that whole list. And if I go with someone else, to a track that's farther away, I would say we'd have that whole list pretty much covered, plus other stuff :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Most important things not to forget are your gear, keys, fuel for you/bike, chairs and shade. Depending on the temp, shade and water could be more important than anything else. If it's going to be very hot. I drink a bottle of Pedialyte and lots of water the night before and drink one through the day. I always bring tools and stands, as you never know what may happen throughout the day.

Make sure to check the website of your provider to make sure you need safety wire. The providers I use don't ask for any safety wiring, but yours might. If your still running Antifreeze in your bike. You might want to replace it with just water or water an a non petroleum product like water wetter.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You'll soon find that the more you go, the more shit you'll take with you.
I was the opposite - first time I took everything under the sun - then found out I didn't need 3/4 of it. Of course packing for my first track day might have had something to do with my wife "helping" me to prepare.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Depends what track organization you do your day with. They should have information on their website.

My first track day or should I say a school all I brought was myself, gear, and my motorcycle. They fortunately provided lunch and drinks and places to sit.

My second td was me riding my motorcycle to the track with a backpack that had an electronic air gauge, tape for the lights, two slices of bread and a can of tuna, and some redbull/gatorade. Another person at the td was kind enough to offer me a chair but I wouldn't have been able to bring in the backpack

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Depends what track organization you do your day with. They should have information on their website.

My first track day or should I say a school all I brought was myself, gear, and my motorcycle. They fortunately provided lunch and drinks and places to sit.

My second td was me riding my motorcycle to the track with a backpack that had an electronic air gauge, tape for the lights, two slices of bread and a can of tuna, and some redbull/gatorade. Another person at the td was kind enough to offer me a chair but I wouldn't have been able to bring in the backpack
Funny you mention that, cuz when I first started doing track days, I saw a guy ride his R6 over with his leathers on, a back pack with a bunch of stuff, and in the back pack he had a foldable lawn chair lol.

I would NEVER ride my bike to the track. Never know what's going to happen and it's nice to have a way to get back, especially if you live at least an hour and a half away like I do.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah, all of that and the extra cash you'll need for your methadone treatment.
It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start poking around on the old interweb for a support group like Trackaholics Anonymous... Might as well start looking for a new wifey on there too while you're at it ..
No point in procrastinating

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Funny you mention that, cuz when I first started doing track days, I saw a guy ride his R6 over with his leathers on, a back pack with a bunch of stuff, and in the back pack he had a foldable lawn chair lol.

I would NEVER ride my bike to the track. Never know what's going to happen and it's nice to have a way to get back, especially if you live at least an hour and a half away like I do.

I agree, it's a gamble for sure. But you have to play with the cards you're dealt. It's how you start then slowly start adding necessary equipment. Now I have a trailer that I can use but still need a vehicle that can tow it.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I agree, it's a gamble for sure. But you have to play with the cards you're dealt. It's how you start then slowly start adding necessary equipment. Now I have a trailer that I can use but still need a vehicle that can tow it.

Every track day I see a few show up (not regulars) with backpack and bike.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yeah, all of that and the extra cash you'll need for your methadone treatment.
It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start poking around on the old interweb for a support group like Trackaholics Anonymous... Might as well start looking for a new wifey on there too while you're at it ..
No point in procrastinating
You can find a wife on there?? Hmmm :smoking:

You can tow with just about anything as long as you get a small trailer. I had a 200-hp car that I towed with a few years ago. A friend of mine has a little Mazda 3 that he tows his bike with. When your trailer weighs just a few hundred lbs, it's easy.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

You can tow with just about anything as long as you get a small trailer. I had a 200-hp car that I towed with a few years ago. A friend of mine has a little Mazda 3 that he tows his bike with. When your trailer weighs just a few hundred lbs, it's easy.
Someone on here was towing a 848 with a Smart Car. Last track day someone towed their bike with a BMW 325.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Someone on here was towing a 848 with a Smart Car. Last track day someone towed their bike with a BMW 325.
I remember seeing that, and was confused why the 848 wasn't towing the Smart Car instead?? After all, it was the more powerful out of the two! :D

·
Registered
333 Posts

One of the fast guys at my local track uses a Mini Cooper to tow a trailer with 2 bikes all the time. My first year I used my Mazda3 with a $200 hitch from U-Haul.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
You are in for an experience like never before. Track riding is way different from riding on the street...if someone tells you otherwise...stop listening.

Since it is your first track day, I wouldn't do much to your bike as of yet. Check out the track organization's requirements in regards to your bike (mirrors, lights, turn signals, license plate, coolant, safety wiring etc.). As others have mentioned, if you like getting on the track (and you will), start looking into getting specific items such as track plastics. There is no need for track specific tires and tires warmers until your pace drastically increases. Any of the current street performance tires is more than capable to carry you far into intermediate and even advanced...

While it depends on the organization you are riding with, you usually register and get your sticker indicating the group you are riding in. Once you are registered, you take your bike to tech inspection. Before anyone can go out, there is a rider meeting that you need to attend to learn about flags and organization-specific rules. After that you are good to go.

Once you get on the track, stay as calm and relaxed as you can be (you will get anxious, sweaty, nervous, excited all in one before your first session). Again, depending on the organization, you will start with following the leader to learn the track, learn where the corner workers are and what line the instructor is running. They might show different lines (inside, outside, race line) but that varies by organization. You may go to class after each session in the morning where you learn about basic track riding skills - again, depending on who you are riding with.

When you are out there, ride your own ride. Don't try to set the new lap record or impress anyone. Slow down your riding a bit and work on the fundamentals. Try to work on running consistent lines, smooth throttle and brake control, body positioning. Don't care about speed...it will come automatically once you got the fundamentals down. Take advantage of the instructors, they are there to help you.

Throughout the day, make sure you monitor your fluid intake...if you are not peeing multiple times, you are not drinking enough. Eat little snacks but stay away from too big of a meal. Take it easy after lunch as your concentration moved to your stomach....the session after lunch is known for a higher crash rate. Listen to your body and if you feel getting tired etc. simply pull in or sit out a session.

But above all of that....simply have fun!!!!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!!!! I'm pumped lol. I can't wait till the weather gets nicer

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Me too! Just made a deal on a nice enclosed trailer! Now, just need to get another bike :eek:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Did they make you a custom hitch? I drive an RX8 and haven't seen any compatible hitches. I'd have to drill the bumper otherwise I have no clue how else it would work
Yeah with some cars you have to do that. They had to do that on my C300 to fit the hitch, and by drill I mean, cut out a piece of it. But honestly you could barely tell because it was just an inch or 2 on the bottom edge which curved in under the car a bit anyway, so unless you got down on your knees to have a look at it you couldn't tell. An RX8 however...those are even lower to the ground, so that might not work so well. Probably wouldn't make for a good tow vehicle, although if you're towing under 1000 lbs, it would work.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.